By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Is Succeeding Without Blue Ocean Casuals, Nintendo Should Not Forget This.

The Switch IS using the Blue Ocean strategy. The hybrid nature of it puts it in a market of its own which is largely unexplored and untapped. Nintendo is creating the demand for such consoles, and it's evident now that there's a gigantic amount of unopposed growth potential.

It’s also more “casual” since it is designed for more relaxed play, and makes it far easier to play shorter game sessions with greater convenience.

As a note: The Casual Games model/category, however, refers to games that are played for a few minutes a session, but over long periods of time (potentially years), like Candy Crush, Clash, and Fire Emblem Heroes.  Neither ARMS nor 1-2 Switch are designed this way; one's a fighter, the other is a party game. The term was coined by Nintendo to describe the play style of Brain Age series.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 17 November 2017

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

You're confusing the Blue Ocean strategy with the specific Blue Ocean that was targeted by the Wii & DS.

Switch is definitely Blue Ocean.

Forget the word "casual", it doesn't apply, that was fake hyperbole from detractors. Casual gamers existed before, they bought PS2s and whatnot.The real term is "new gamers". Do you honestly think making these new gamers flow into Mario wasn't a plan?Why do you think they made Super Mario Run for iOS?

It's definitely Blue Ocean. Not only from a differenciation lense, but certainly in terms of audience. So you can say it's disruptive too..

Last edited by Azelover - on 17 November 2017

Not sure if they are tapping on blue ocean or not, but being blue ocean have nothing to do with casuals.

But I would be glad Nintendo keep titles that their core fanbase like.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Soundwave said:

We've seen demographic break downs of the Switch that say as much from Nintendo directly, but we see it even more and more with up to date software trends on the system ... 

Look at the top 10 software for October:

Nintendo Switch

1. Super Mario Odyssey
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. Fire Emblem: Warriors
  5. Pokken Tournament DX
  6. Splatoon 2
  7. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  8. FIFA 18
  9. NBA 2K18
  10. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2
Interesting take there is not only are things like 1,2 Switch no where close to long tail sellers, they've completely fallen off the top 10. ARMS which was Nintendo's other "motion gaming" experiment for the Switch, which is marketed like a Wii game has also collapsed out of the top 10. The new Just Dance 2018 also failed to make the Switch top 10. 
But you do see things like FIFA, NBA2K, and Fire Emblem Warriors present. Nintendo should be very careful how they proceed IMO the system is doing well because there's a good amount of content for the traditional gaming audience and the device is marketed at that crowd. If they veer too far away from this and try to rely on casuals they are going to get themselves into trouble. 
4/10 top games being 3rd party (Mario/Rabbids is published by Ubi Soft) is not a bad mix for a Nintendo system either. 

You lost me at Arms being a blue ocean casual game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Not sure if they are tapping on blue ocean or not, but being blue ocean have nothing to do with casuals.

As part of their core fanbase I have to agree.

But that alone isn't successful, exhibit A: WiiU

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Soundwave said:

Look at the top 10 software for October:

Nintendo Switch

1. Super Mario Odyssey
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. Fire Emblem: Warriors
  5. Pokken Tournament DX
  6. Splatoon 2
  7. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  8. FIFA 18
  9. NBA 2K18
  10. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2
Interesting take there is not only are things like 1,2 Switch no where close to long tail sellers, they've completely fallen off the top 10. ARMS which was Nintendo's other "motion gaming" experiment for the Switch, which is marketed like a Wii game has also collapsed out of the top 10. The new Just Dance 2018 also failed to make the Switch top 10. 
But you do see things like FIFA, NBA2K, and Fire Emblem Warriors present. Nintendo should be very careful how they proceed IMO the system is doing well because there's a good amount of content for the traditional gaming audience and the device is marketed at that crowd. If they veer too far away from this and try to rely on casuals they are going to get themselves into trouble. 
4/10 top games being 3rd party (Mario/Rabbids is published by Ubi Soft) is not a bad mix for a Nintendo system either. 

You're taking the current top standing that amplifies the recently launched titles .
Look at the monthly totals we have from NoE: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232734

ARMS was second in June, and we are missing the launch months which could have 1-2 Switch doing well.
Switch eShop in itself has a nice mix of titles and genres, but Minecraft and Sonic Mania did good during the summer.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 17 November 2017

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, neither "pure casual" like Wii (that dropped very fast and sold few SW) nor only hardcore like WiiU can keep a healthy platform. And that is the good part for Sony that having 3rd parties it can tap all markets. Seems like Switch will be able to do it from having all Nintendo games on it instead of split userbase plus initial good support from 3rd parties.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Goodnightmoon said:
ARMS is not a blue ocean game and it didn't fail at all.

and it was marketed the exact same way as splatoon

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Yep, neither "pure casual" like Wii (that dropped very fast and sold few SW) nor only hardcore like WiiU can keep a healthy platform. And that is the good part for Sony that having 3rd parties it can tap all markets. Seems like Switch will be able to do it from having all Nintendo games on it instead of split userbase plus initial good support from 3rd parties.

Agreed.