By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Is Succeeding Without Blue Ocean Casuals, Nintendo Should Not Forget This.

Arminillo said:
Goodnightmoon said:
ARMS is not a blue ocean game and it didn't fail at all.

and it was marketed the exact same way as splatoon

I also think Splatoon is not more of a "core" game than ARMS is. Lest we forget, the original Splatoon utilized motion controls and the gamepad, it wasn't a traditional shooter in that sense, let alone knowing the objective is NOT killing, but claiming territory with ink. Even though ARMS utilizes motion controls, it is shown even in a superficial sense that there's more to it than punching for the sake of it. Think of the first trailer of this game. You saw a variety of motions that initiated moving, defending, using specials, and throwing a hook or a jab. Plus the variety of ARMS, characters, and stages showed there's more to it. And as ARMS has been marketed in directs and such, the characters have their own unique abilities, origins, and play styles.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
ARMS is not a blue ocean game and it didn't fail at all.

Agreed. THat game is HARD to play against other humans lol.

Also, its around 1 million and that's as of the last update here (which is what, like 1-2 months behind current sales?) and not including digital. This game is probably at 1.1-1.2 million right now and could push into the 1.5 million zone after this holiday season. I could see it doing 2+ million lifetime, which is pretty much a financial success for Nintendo considering how little is in the game (no in depth story, hardly any cutscenes, stages are small, etc not to say it isn't fun, cause it is).

1 Arms NS 2017 Fighting Nintendo 0.41 0.22 0.26 0.06 0.96

Forgive me for going a bit off topic, but since we're talking about Arms, is it safe to assume that Project Giant Robot evolved into Arms???

Have a nice day...

IMO, Nintendo is following Sony's style of attaining various top games from various genres to their console.

You got LOZ genre, 3D platformer, Shooter, fighting, warrriors game, JRPG soon, etc. It shows why MS continues to fail with their unvaried library and the PS4 and Switch succeeding.

Farsala said:
IMO, Nintendo is following Sony's style of attaining various top games from various genres to their console.

You got LOZ genre, 3D platformer, Shooter, fighting, warrriors game, JRPG soon, etc. It shows why MS continues to fail with their unvaried library and the PS4 and Switch succeeding.

Agreed, they are diversifying and in the long run it shall give then dividends.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

The casual gamer that people think about does not exist. Anyway the Switch is a Blue Ocean product. It is not directly competing with anyone. In the handheld realm there is no one to compete with! Also look at NIntendo's games. Splatoon is a shoot but it is unlike any shooter I ever played. Arms is a fighter bub it is unlike any other fighter out there today. Mario Kart is nothing like most best selling racers. The Switch has both Blue Ocean games and hardware.

Hopefully Nintendo never goes for the hardcore gamer ever again or it will be the Wii U all over again.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I wouldn't lump a Warriors title in with casual stuff like sports games.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

RolStoppable said:
The VGC community should not forget that Soundwave is the guy who brought us gems of threads like Switch is having a soft launch and Nintendo fans should be happy and satisfied if Switch can sell 40m units lifetime. He has been repeatedly wrong about Switch and Nintendo has succeeded by acting contrary to the things he suggested.

This thread isn't any different. Switch's success is not going to be in danger when Nintendo makes a few games like Switch Sports in addition to the large volume of long-established IPs they have. To the contrary, that's going to push Switch to even bigger heights because the console will be able to expand its demographics.

You mean kinda like how you claimed Nintendo could never have success without the Wii/DS casual crowd, and how they must make motion games again and once they did those games would skyrocket back to the the top of the charts? 

Well ... I don't see 1,2 Switch or ARMS anywhere on those charts. Switch is doing just fine without those games breaking out into big hits ... could you say that same about the Wii without Wii Sports/Fit, etc. Don't think so. 

killeryoshis said:
The casual gamer that people think about does not exist. Anyway the Switch is a Blue Ocean product. It is not directly competing with anyone. In the handheld realm there is no one to compete with! Also look at NIntendo's games. Splatoon is a shoot but it is unlike any shooter I ever played. Arms is a fighter bub it is unlike any other fighter out there today. Mario Kart is nothing like most best selling racers. The Switch has both Blue Ocean games and hardware.

Hopefully Nintendo never goes for the hardcore gamer ever again or it will be the Wii U all over again.

Not games.

The Switch games are very conventional, they are not being driven by the likes of 1,2 Switch, ARMS, etc. but by the standard Nintendo IP and third party games. 

Wii U was marketed to casuals/kids almost exclusively, and Nintendo's 1st year lineup for it was NSMBU, Nintendo Land, Sing Party, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Game & Wario ... the idea that that was a "hardcore" game console is laughable. If Switch had as many casual games from Nintendo it would be failing too. 

Switch is succeeding by fitting in with core gamers who want more flexibility in how they play console games. Not by banking on soccer moms and people who don't know how to play core games. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 17 November 2017

killeryoshis said:

Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are among the biggest Blue Ocean games of them all. Smash is nothing like Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Tekken, etc. and Mario Kart isn't Forza, Gran Turismo, Need for Speed, etc. However, they resonate because they're easy to pick up and hard to master, they are fun from the kids to even the seniors, and are utilized in unconventional ways. For example, Smash Bros. is mostly known for its Free-for-all gameplay with items, Smash Balls, trophies, and random craziness on the stage, but can also be played as a 1-on-1 on a single or multi-platform stage with no items or hazards. That's what makes them among the best-selling franchises in their respective genres and able to stand the test of time.