By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Catalonia declares independence. Puigdemont free to roam Belgium.

Who do you support?

Spain 139 59.40%

Catalonia 95 40.60%

Total:234
Goodnightmoon said:

The parlament of Catalonia has 135 members, in order to make important decisions they have always needed around 90 votes but they declared themself an independent republic with only 70 votes from politic parties that represents a 48% of the population and using the results of an ilegal referendum with no guarantees and where people was able to vote several times, this is highly antidemocratic.

Like Catalonia give a damn abou Spanish constitution,they want to be free from them not follow their opression game. Damn clever.lol

Around the Network
Suky said:
Goodnightmoon said:

The parlament of Catalonia has 135 members, in order to make important decisions they have always needed around 90 votes but they declared themself an independent republic with only 70 votes from politic parties that represents a 48% of the population and using the results of an ilegal referendum with no guarantees and where people was able to vote several times, this is highly antidemocratic.

Like Catalonia give a damn abou Spanish constitution,they want to be free from them not follow their opression game. Damn clever.lol

Not only the constitution, they went over their own Catalan laws, how do you defend that? The politic parties that approved this represent less than 50% of the population there, this is not Catalonia as a whole. This idea that a place can become independent no matter how and without even knowing if most of the population wats to go its deeply stupid, what if a random town decides to become independent and makes an ilegal referendum with no guarantees, where we can't possibly know if the results are not made up and where people can vote several times, do we recognize its independence as long as they get a 51% of positive votes out of that? Are we mad?

Last edited by Goodnightmoon - on 29 October 2017

Goodnightmoon said:
Nem said:

I am not. In the end of the day, what matters is what the people of Catalunya want. Not what Spain wants or what motivations there are.

The Will of the People of Catalunya is ALL that matters. And given how the central government blocked a referendum, the writing is in the wall.

You, like many Portuguese, have a lot of resentment against Spain sadly, that doesn't let you think clearly. 

You don't seem to realize how big of a problem would be if Catalonia goes while most of its population wants to stay, which is what every inform and poll says will happen, neither do you seem to understand the huge manipulation going on over them, they don't really know the consequences of independence, nobody told them, they believe they are gonna get richer soon which is laughable watching how 1500 companies have left Catalonia in few weeks and considering that like 70% of their exportations comes to Spain. Even famous British historian John H. Elliot said yesterday that Catalan people has been told a completely false story for ages, They are told a different version of history and they are highly manipulated into believing everything wrong that happens to them comes from Spain and everything good is because they are awesome, is pathetic when you actually live here and understand what's happening, they were governed for 23 years by one of the most corrupts politics of Spain (Pujol) because they wanted, after knowing this guy (and all his family) were stealing catalans for decades they are still so blind that they keep saying Spain is corrupt unlike Catalonia, right... just like many catalans were shitting about Spain for selling weapons to bad countries while 25% of those weapons come from Catalonia... they are driven by blind nationalism.

You are even talking about Castilians instead of Spaniards, why? I'm from Valencia, we used to belong to the Aragon Kingdom just like Catalonia, we even speak Catalan too and have it as an oficial language, yet almost everyone here completely supports the union of Spain, and so does people from Balearic Islands and Aragon, so what are you talking about Castilians? Do you think we are still in the 18th century or what?

It's their mistake (or not) to make. You can't make the decision for them.

I say Castilians (thank you for correcting me on the english term for it) are the ones that subdued the surrounding Kingdoms. That is why i mention them, because they have always been passive agressive with their power plays. Most of these Iberic kingdoms were aquired through palacian coups (usually through pressure of military action). Nowadays, that is not how things work anymore. 

You are happy beeing part of Spain, that is fine. I'm not saying all should seceed. Just whoever doesn't want to be part of it. These decisions can't just carry over from old monarchic marieges. Especially if an area has different culture, language and customs.

Spain has to stop beeing an empire and start beeing a union everyone wants to be in. That is the only way to have lasting peace in the iberic peninsula. That ideally should start by having a referendom in every region to find out who actually wants to unite and who doesn't by the will of the people.

Last edited by Nem - on 29 October 2017

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Nem said:

I am not. In the end of the day, what matters is what the people of Catalunya want. Not what Spain wants or what motivations there are.

The Will of the People of Catalunya is ALL that matters. And given how the central government blocked a referendum, the writing is in the wall.

Except Catalonia (and not Catalunya. In Spanish it's Cataluña) is part of Spain so Spain has obviously a say into this matter. If you want to break up a country, EVERYONE in the country should have a say. And the Spanish people including a lot of people in Catalonia are against it.

The referendum was ILLEGAL, how is it that you don't understand that? If all it took was for people to say something to make it happen, the world could not exist. Cause there is ALWAYS someone somewhere that disagrees with the way things are.

I don't like everything that is decided in my country so maybe I should demand my city to become independent? After that, I may not like what other people in my city say or do so maybe the portion of my city should become independent from the rest of the city?

Try to break up New York from the US, or Paris from France or Tokyo from Japan and you'll get EXACTLY the same result as you see in Spain. The legal government of the country will not allow it and with good reason.

Completely and utterly incorrect and why that constitution is imperialist. 

The rest of Spain has NO say in the matter. You don't get to force people to do as you want. They are free people, not your slaves.

And i would support each and every region that would wish to seceed if that is the will of their people. I defend freedom and democracy.

There is a point where that isn't beneficial, to adress your into the ridiculous example, but if it's what they wish, there are no gripes. Maybe you don't think about it, but the opposite is also possible. If A wants to join B for mutual benefit and both are ok with it, they should unite.

Problem is that that never happened in Spain. Was just full scale submission through kings and queens. Not the will of the people. It needs to start there.

Last edited by Nem - on 29 October 2017

Nem said:
Goodnightmoon said:

You, like many Portuguese, have a lot of resentment against Spain sadly, that doesn't let you think clearly. 

You don't seem to realize how big of a problem would be if Catalonia goes while most of its population wants to stay, which is what every inform and poll says will happen, neither do you seem to understand the huge manipulation going on over them, they don't really know the consequences of independence, nobody told them, they believe they are gonna get richer soon which is laughable watching how 1500 companies have left Catalonia in few weeks and considering that like 70% of their exportations comes to Spain. Even famous British historian John H. Elliot said yesterday that Catalan people has been told a completely false story for ages, They are told a different version of history and they are highly manipulated into believing everything wrong that happens to them comes from Spain and everything good is because they are awesome, is pathetic when you actually live here and understand what's happening, they were governed for 23 years by one of the most corrupts politics of Spain (Pujol) because they wanted, after knowing this guy (and all his family) were stealing catalans for decades they are still so blind that they keep saying Spain is corrupt unlike Catalonia, right... just like many catalans were shitting about Spain for selling weapons to bad countries while 25% of those weapons come from Catalonia... they are driven by blind nationalism.

You are even talking about Castilians instead of Spaniards, why? I'm from Valencia, we used to belong to the Aragon Kingdom just like Catalonia, we even speak Catalan too and have it as an oficial language, yet almost everyone here completely supports the union of Spain, and so does people from Balearic Islands and Aragon, so what are you talking about Castilians? Do you think we are still in the 18th century or what?

It's their mistake (or not) to make. You can't make the decision for them.

I say Castilians (thank you for correcting me on the english term for it) are the ones that subdued the surrounding Kingdoms. That is why i mention them, because they have always been passive agressive with their power plays. Most of these Iberic kingdoms were aquired through palacian coups (usually through pressure of military action). Nowadays, that is not how things work anymore. 

You are happy beeing part of Spain, that is fine. I'm not saying all should seceed. Just whoever doesn't want to be part of it. These decisions can't just carry over from old monarchic marieges. Especially if an area has different culture, language and customs.

Spain has to stop beeing an empire and start beeing a union everyone wants to be in. That is the only way to have lasting peace in the iberic peninsula. That ideally should start by having a referendom in every region to find out who actually wants to unite and who doesn't by the will of the people.

Is not about wether I'm happy being a part of Spain or not (I want to cause I love Spain but at the same time I'm not happy cause I don't want to live in a country governed by the most corrupt and incompetent politic party of Europe) is about being against something completely antidemocratic and out of law, sometimes I wonder myself if we Valencians should go with Catalonia (they want us to go with them) because in many aspects it could be positive, but even if someday I embrace the independentism I would still never be in favour of an antidemocratic shitshow like the one that the government of Catalonia has made, nothing in this process made any sense, is almost like some politicians wanted to rush the independence to hide some dirty secrets before its too late (Wasn't Andorra's banking secrecy going to end in 2018? uhmm) and I don't want to be an accomplice of that, neither should the Catalans. We'll eventually reform the constitution and they'll eventually have their legal referendum, until then they can pressure for more autonomy but they cannot just leave whenever they want using the results of an ilegal referendum with no democratic guarantees that was made going above both Spanish and Catalan laws and with a completely missinformed population that has been exposed only to the YES campaign with nobody explaining them all the pros and cons of independence, is just very unethic.

Last edited by Goodnightmoon - on 29 October 2017

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

And yet, despite being completely antidemocratic people on the poll supports it because independence is always seen as something romantic.... let's see what would happen if someday California decides to be independent with a minority of the population and just because they are richer than the rest.

So true.

Nem said:

I heard Scotland and Venezuela recognised it. Guess it was a joke. :P

No one recognised Kosovo at the start either. It is stupid though. When it becomes a blood bath i'm blaming the EU countries for having been passive to it rather than protect the will of the people.

This is so stupid because so many countries began like this. This is the countries saying they hope Spain solves the problem peacefully. Once they don't there will be interventions.

Portugal, the Netherland and Belgium would still be a part of Spain if their constituion was what mattered. The hypocrisy is strong.

Errorist76 said:

You honestly believe Catalonia doesn't want to be part of the EU?! The only thing they want is not needing to help out the rest of the poorer country.

Oh didn't say anything of the sort. Wether they join the EU or not is irrelevant.

The EU is the power body of europe. A union based on democracy and freedom for europe. If this becomes a bloodbath, in the heart of europe, the EU is confirmed as a sham for letting it happen.

I'm in favor of the EU. I want it to work. But if the people in it's heart cannot count with it's protection, what good is it? It's not much of a union.

Like Spain, wich despite what castellans will tell you isn't a union. It's a collection of kingdoms conquered through intimidation and mariage. It's people never had a vote in the matter. Nowadays, this is catching up to them and the castellans, used to intimidating the others will never give it up. This will become a bloodbath. I am convinced of that. It's how they always did things.

as I said before, I really believe that this is all for money, at least in the biggest part

will Catalans get anything from indepence apart from stop being drawn back from the poorer rest of Spain? the EU is afraid that it will cause a domino effect if they support it, rich regions will start breaking off here and there, so we'll have tons of rich micro-states, which is not democracy at all, it is more money for the few rich, and less for the poor

I know Catalonia is more than that, they have a language etc, but there is international and constitutional law that must be obayed, in this case democracy and freedom starts running in reverse of the majority's favor, and the world will never be stable

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Goodnightmoon said:
fatslob-:O said:

Strawman ... 

Article 37 from the german consitution isn't the equivalent of Article 155 from the Spanish constitution ... 

It has the same utility and is made for similar situations

Sounds like we aren't going to get a reply.

EDIT - Josep Borrell, expresident of the European Parliament has stated today that the Article 155 was copied from the Article 37 of the German constitution.

Last edited by Player2 - on 29 October 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66IN8TVCnR8

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Nem said:

Completely and utterly incorrect and why that constitution is imperialist. 

The rest of Spain has NO say in the matter. You don't get to force people to do as you want. They are free people, not your slaves.

And i would support each and every region that would wish to seceed if that is the will of their people. I defend freedom and democracy.

There is a point where that isn't beneficial, to adress your into the ridiculous example, but if it's what they wish, there are no gripes. Maybe you don't think about it, but the opposite is also possible. If A wants to join B for mutual benefit and both are ok with it, they should unite.

Problem is that that never happened in Spain. Was just full scale submission through kings and queens. Not the will of the people. It needs to start there.

Dude come back when you learn a little more about the situation and know what you're talking about.

The referendum was ILLEGAL and that is a fact. You can say it's not correct but it is a FACT. Learn that word. The rest of Spain HAS a say when something happens in THEIR country, that's democracy: A system where EVERYONE has a say, learn that word too. Unless you want a system where only an elite, or a group of interests is the only one with a say. Such systems exist but they are NOT democratic in essence.

As for your argument of submission through kings and queens, here is something you definitely need to learn: Pretty much EVERY country out there has a bloody history of submission and invasions and all that stuff IN THE PAST. If you want to call into question countries today because of how they were made a long time ago, there's pretty much NO country out there that should exist then. Your solution is to go back to a million small and independent kingdoms and that makes NO SENSE in this modern world. The result will be wars all the time and everywhere because that's exactly how it was 500 years ago, 1000 years ago etc.

Someone once said: "He who does not learn history is doomed to repeat it."  and truer words were never spoken.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 29 October 2017