By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Destructoid: Breaking down why Breath of the Wild is highly overrated

No game is built perfect or offering anything new all the time. Its how its blended together. You can break down any game and find heaps of floors. At the end was Zelda one of the best games you have played? Many say yes is it including the floors.

For me, its my GOTY for sure however its not the best game i have ever played.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
The only way you can be sure that a game (or film) really are superb is if they're soon accompanied by a surly wave of contrarians attempting to rewrite the narrative lol

The game had some flaws (I can certainly think of a few), and a greater diversity of enemies would certainly suit the game, but this is a game that most people played waaaay beyond 40 hours before getting bored of it, and those 40+ hours were incredible.

I don't mind the criticism as it introduces some ideas that might make for an even better Zelda next time, but it's ridiculous to try and claim this game was anything but a masterpiece; after all, there's never been a "masterpiece" that couldn't be improved.

That's actually why I'm so excited for the next game, as Miyamoto said they'd be able to turn one around faster as they'd re-use the engine. This game was very clearly an introductory attempt to enter a genre that they'd never dabbled in, and they managed to stick the landing unlike just about anyone outside of GTA III. The pieces and framework are all well established, and I fully expect the next sequel to be more focused on additional content and details.

Good post.

Those claiming this thread is evidence of his point need to realise that the issue is not his opinion, rather his claim that he is objectively correct, he's not.

At the end of the day he doesn't love the game and I do, I think its probably the best game I have ever played, only time will truly tell if it remains so. His opinion is no more reflective of 'fact' than mine just because he wrote a bunch of words on a page, particular when said words smell more than click-baity.

Discussions regarding GOAT are pretty redundant as far as I'm concerned, it's almost impossible to account for the passage of time, but what we do know is that BOTW is almost universally acclaimed. That doesn't mean it is without flaw, but any game that achieves what it does while addressing those flaws is likely to be pretty spectacular.

So our Lord and Saviour Jim BOTW is a 7/10 Game Sterling, was right after all? :P

I'm not sure it's overrated, but I do agree with the two main points; not enough mysteries to discover and a lack of great mood setting music.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

thismeintiel said:
Normchacho said:

I don't think the author is saying that there's anything wrong with people loving the game, or that the people that do are wrong. But he does have a couple of good points. Namely, that the game is actually pretty deeply flawed in a number of ways, and that there is a sizable group of people who turn into Piranhas any time someone says anything negative about the game.

This thread is a great example of that second point. He's a hater, he didn't actually play the game, this article is just clickbait, if you don't love the game you're wrong, ect, ect. It's just silly.

Well, I do have to say that after the whole BOTW review debacle, it is easy for me to say that Nintendo fanatics are actually the most fanatical of the fanatics of either console.  I've never seen a fanbase flip their collective shit from someone saying, "Yea, it's still a really good game, but I definitely don't think it is deserving of a 9 or 10 out of 10."  Or because they dared to score it just a good rating, and not near perfect, which brought down the Metacritic score down by a meager 1 point.

Some Nintendo-fans blöown out of proportion. And you could say the same about the haters. So many felt they MUST comment (or rate), although they all prepend their comment with: 'I didn't played it, but ...'. So, maybe it is not Nintendo-fans, but the game which elicits strong emotional responses.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Smartie900 said:
Is Breath Of The Wild that good? I'm picking out a game to buy with my Switch and I was thinking between this, Splatoon 2, and MK8. Which one should i get?

All three.

In seriousness, all three are good games. You have to decide which you want the most: Zelda is a good single-player experience, MK8 is great for local multiplayer and to an extent online and Splatoon for Online-matches.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think the game would be pretty boring if it was filled to the brim with stuff to do. It would take away the sense of exploration, the question 'Will I find something?' would be replaced by 'What will I find?'. If there are treasure chests everywhere, it gets less rewarding if you find one (it would be just another chest, just some more arrows).

Rocketjay8 said:
Johnw1104 said:
The only way you can be sure that a game (or film) really are superb is if they're soon accompanied by a surly wave of contrarians attempting to rewrite the narrative lol

The game had some flaws (I can certainly think of a few), and a greater diversity of enemies would certainly suit the game, but this is a game that most people played waaaay beyond 40 hours before getting bored of it, and those 40+ hours were incredible.

I don't mind the criticism as it introduces some ideas that might make for an even better Zelda next time, but it's ridiculous to try and claim this game was anything but a masterpiece; after all, there's never been a "masterpiece" that couldn't be improved.

That's actually why I'm so excited for the next game, as Miyamoto said they'd be able to turn one around faster as they'd re-use the engine. This game was very clearly an introductory attempt to enter a genre that they'd never dabbled in, and they managed to stick the landing unlike just about anyone outside of GTA III. The pieces and framework are all well established, and I fully expect the next sequel to be more focused on additional content and details.

I heavily agree with this statement.

exactly, can't wait for the next Zelda already

I feel that some are just playing the game while desperately looking to identify and magnify its flaws in order to justify why it is ''not as good", makes you wonder if these people even know how to enjoy a game

I just disagree with the "not much to discover'', the whole map is a huge mystery on its own, and it is there in order to be discovered, unlocked and explored, which is the most basic part of the game

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Shiken said:

Yet it is still hands down the best game released in over a decade. Haters gonna hate!

this is your opinion, a truly massive amount of incredible games have come out over the last 10 years.

Zelda BOTW is only 1 of them

2018 Hit List: Shadow of the Colossus, Detroit, Dreams, Spider-Man, God Of War, Days Gone, Medievil, Tomb Raider 3, RDR2 

Don't judge a fan base by its most fanatical members. Good or bad.