By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Destructoid: Breaking down why Breath of the Wild is highly overrated

thismeintiel said:
Normchacho said:

I don't think the author is saying that there's anything wrong with people loving the game, or that the people that do are wrong. But he does have a couple of good points. Namely, that the game is actually pretty deeply flawed in a number of ways, and that there is a sizable group of people who turn into Piranhas any time someone says anything negative about the game.

This thread is a great example of that second point. He's a hater, he didn't actually play the game, this article is just clickbait, if you don't love the game you're wrong, ect, ect. It's just silly.

Well, I do have to say that after the whole BOTW review debacle, it is easy for me to say that Nintendo fanatics are actually the most fanatical of the fanatics of either console.  I've never seen a fanbase flip their collective shit from someone saying, "Yea, it's still a really good game, but I definitely don't think it is deserving of a 9 or 10 out of 10."  Or because they dared to score it just a good rating, and not near perfect, which brought down the Metacritic score down by a meager 1 point.

Wow you must be new to the internet.  Or did you just forget about the GTAV fiasco where a reviewer DARED to score it a 9 and proceeded to get harrassed, death threats, and a ton of people trying to pressure the site in question to fire said reviewer.

Or the people who bit off Yahtzee's head for not bowing down and worshipping The Last of Us as gaming's greatest magnum opus.

Or the people who roasted half the dang media for their less than stellar reviews for No Man's Sky.

Every franchise with big followings has fanatical wingnuts so get off your high horse.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Normchacho said:

I don't think the author is saying that there's anything wrong with people loving the game, or that the people that do are wrong. But he does have a couple of good points. Namely, that the game is actually pretty deeply flawed in a number of ways, and that there is a sizable group of people who turn into Piranhas any time someone says anything negative about the game.

This thread is a great example of that second point. He's a hater, he didn't actually play the game, this article is just clickbait, if you don't love the game you're wrong, ect, ect. It's just silly.

Well, I do have to say that after the whole BOTW review debacle, it is easy for me to say that Nintendo fanatics are actually the most fanatical of the fanatics of either console.  I've never seen a fanbase flip their collective shit from someone saying, "Yea, it's still a really good game, but I definitely don't think it is deserving of a 9 or 10 out of 10."  Or because they dared to score it just a good rating, and not near perfect, which brought down the Metacritic score down by a meager 1 point.

You take that back you son of a motherless goat.  I'll burn your house down and sell your family into servitude...

I joke, I joke.

Nuvendil said:
thismeintiel said:

Wow you must be new to the internet.  Or did you just forget about the GTAV fiasco where a reviewer DARED to score it a 9 and proceeded to get harrassed, death threats, and a ton of people trying to pressure the site in question to fire said reviewer.

Or the people who bit off Yahtzee's head for not bowing down and worshipping The Last of Us as gaming's greatest magnum opus.

Or the people who roasted half the dang media for their less than stellar reviews for No Man's Sky.

Every franchise with big followings has fanatical wingnuts so get off your high horse.

I'll stay on my high horse, thank you very much.  The big difference is the VAST majority of people look at those situations and look down on those people and chatise them.  What do too many of the Nintendo fanbase do?  Make excuses for the people who were resposible for that crap.  "Oh, he should have known what was coming."  "He's just a hater who deserved it."  "It's all just clickbait, his opinion means nothing."  Looks like too many are doing the same here.

Also, you'll have to send me a link for the your first example.  As for the 2nd one, I agree with one person in the comments.  "Looking through the comments, I actually see more people going ''lol butthurt fans'' then... butthurt fans. I actually see more ''lol playstation faggots, xbox for life'' then... people who try and defend playstation and their titles. I see more people saying ''this game is so overhyped'' then i see people over hyping it."  Seems there may have been a few complaining earlier, but the comments are more overwhelmed by people jumping on the "butthurt fanboys" comments, without them probably even seeing any.  The Like to Dislike ratio is also overwhelmingly positive.

The_Yoda said:
thismeintiel said:

You take that back you son of a motherless goat.  I'll burn your house down and sell your family into servitude...

I joke, I joke.

As long as you provide us a decent little slave shack, 3 meals a day, I think I'll be okay with that.

thismeintiel said:
Nuvendil said:

I'll stay on my high horse, thank you very much.  The big difference is the VAST majority of people look at those situations and look down on those people and chatise them.  What do too many of the Nintendo fanbase do?  Make excuses for the people who were resposible for that crap.  "Oh, he should have known what was coming."  "He's just a hater who deserved it."  "It's all just clickbait, his opinion means nothing."  Looks like too many are doing the same here.

Also, you'll have to send me a link for the your first example.  As for the 2nd one, I agree with one person in the comments.  "Looking through the comments, I actually see more people going ''lol butthurt fans'' then... butthurt fans. I actually see more ''lol playstation faggots, xbox for life'' then... people who try and defend playstation and their titles. I see more people saying ''this game is so overhyped'' then i see people over hyping it."  Seems there may have been a few complaining earlier, but the comments are more overwhelmed by people jumping on the "butthurt fanboys" comments, without them probably even seeing any.  The Like to Dislike ratio is also overwhelmingly positive.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.dailydot.com/parsec/gaming/grand-theft-auto-five-gamespot-review-youtube-negative-comments/

It was a pretty widely circulated and publicized embarrassment. 

And yeah, I've seen lots of people criticize Jim for that review.  I do, but because I find it poorly reasoned and many things he criticizes in BotW he praises in other franchises.  I just find it a poorly constructed review.  But I didn't see the majority or anywhere NEAR it endorsing the madness.  A lot of people just didn't care what he had to to say.

The GTAV thing had petitions and everything.  It was one of the most pathetic displays in rescent memory.  Say what you will but at least Jim's review had an impact, at least it was substantially divergent from the overwhelming consensus.  The reviewer at Gamespot gave GTAV a freaking NINE.  

And keep in mind comments are curated, plus a lot of those "lul" posts get lots of upvotes and the review is very old you would have to tunnel waaaay down the chronology to find any comments anyway.  It's Yahtzee who pointed out the backlash in his next review, which is where I drew my source.  

And Jim got inundated with bitter complaints for giving Uncharted 4 the same score as I believe it was Dead Rising 4, which he pointed out in his Jimpressions video for The Last Guardian.

I can find you example after example of people flipping out.  Cause every fanbase of substantial size has its loons who regularly go beyond being critical to harassing, DDOSing (incidentally, Jim also got DDOSed for his No Man's Sky review), etc etc.

And I would like to point out that while some wingnuts were going crazy on Jim for giving Zelda a 7, I saw MANY in comment sections around YouTube and review sites declaring every single reviewer giving it a 9 or 10 tobe blatantly bribed, including Angry Joe and ProJared.  People even started trying to say REVIEW COPIES are now bribes.  Nevermind they've been a thing for litterally the industry's whole existence, they're bribes *now*.  And let's not forget the HUNDREDS of spurious 0 to 3 out of 10 user scores that had to be scrubbed by Metacritic, scores some of which were thrown up en masse by coordinated groups of fans of other games/platforms (I'm not lying).  Most of which were copy-pasted, others blatantly stating they didn't play it and are giving ut a 0 for reasons.  

Like I said, the crazies are to be found in every corner.  So stop acting like this is some especially shocking thing.

Edit: Oh and I remember distinctly that on THIS VERY FORUM that in 2014 when Last of Us was still being hailed as the second coming that many a Sony/Naughty Dog fan were belittling and dismissive of any who criticized it, declared it the greatest game ever and called anyone who disagreed haters or fanboys.  And who constantly threw the "over 200 GOTY award" line at everyone's faces constantly.  A line now rendered silly since Bethesda has now slapped it on Skyrim showing it wasn't even a peerless achievement like they made it sound.  So no, the Zelda fanbase isn't the only fanbase to rally behind their games in mildly obnoxious ways.  You're just seeing what you want to see.

Around the Network

Haven't read but oh boy...how much is this going to inflame the fanbase?

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Is Breath Of The Wild that good? I'm picking out a game to buy with my Switch and I was thinking between this, Splatoon 2, and MK8. Which one should i get?

People dont understand that this game is not about rewards it is about curiosity. If i am walking outside in the woods in real life, i find alot of places which seems interessting but farer away. And i am moving there. Not because i will find a chest there but because of curiosity. And in BotW you get often times rewarded but if the destructive guy is not smart enough to understand it, what can we do?? The game is still very good reviewed feom the users too. Huber started play handhelds because of Zelda. What could a game do more? Kyle Bossman said it was an easy 10 out of 10. Easy. He just didnt made the review. Who cares about what destructive is saying. Play that game and enjoy it and make your own picture. I as an example am still enjoying JC3. Is it perfectly reviewed? No. But i like it. My oppinnion and taste is important. And it seems like 4 million other people until end of june liked it Botw too.

Smartie900 said:
Is Breath Of The Wild that good? I'm picking out a game to buy with my Switch and I was thinking between this, Splatoon 2, and MK8. Which one should i get?

It's a really really good game.  As someone who has played many open world games from big franchises (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, Xenoblade, some of Witcher 3), it's one of the best designed out there.  And as someone who only got into Zelda in 2015 with Wind Waker HD and later Twilight Princess HD, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Skyward Sword, I feel the game stands very tall among its prdecessors and while it feels very different in structure, it preserves the core of the gameplay very well while adding new things I greatly enjoyed.  

Everyone has tastes, so I can't guarantee anyone's enjoyment.  But no open world game I have played before has given me the same sense of genuine discovery that Breath of the Wild has.  

Nuvendil said:
Smartie900 said:

It's a really really good game.  As someone who has played many open world games from big franchises (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, Xenoblade, some of Witcher 3), it's one of the best designed out there.  And as someone who only got into Zelda in 2015 with Wind Waker HD and later Twilight Princess HD, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Skyward Sword, I feel the game stands very tall among its prdecessors and while it feels very different in structure, it preserves the core of the gameplay very well while adding new things I greatly enjoyed.  

Everyone has tastes, so I can't guarantee anyone's enjoyment.  But no open world game I have played before has given me the same sense of genuine discovery that Breath of the Wild has.  

The game seems to combine Wind Waker with Skyrim which is a perfect combination for me. It's all about atmosphere in games for me... which is why I love Assassins Creed 2 even though it has relatively weak gameplay.