By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Destructoid: Breaking down why Breath of the Wild is highly overrated

RolStoppable said:
Mnementh said:

I like about BOTWs story, that it isn't told, but discovered. Usually you have long cutscenes or whatever that tell you the story. In this case you have only the memories as cutscenes. Other than that you discover the stories simply by discovering the ruins. Do I need a cutscene to know Hateno was under siege? No, I just need to discover the enormous amount of broken Guardians before the walls. I really like if you learn about the backgrounds this way. I have to look around. But someone else goes through it without thinking why all the guardians lay around here. He may complain the game has no story, because he didn't discover it. But it feels rewarding making the discoveries on my own.

The author of the article claims that nothing in the world of Breath of the Wild is facing a threat.

He seems to have forgotten that the game starts off with Link awakening from a 100-year-long slumber and being told that Zelda can't keep Ganon in the area of Hyrule Castle for much longer. The author says all villages look unharmed, but that shouldn't be surprising because the peoples of Hyrule had 100 years to rebuild a living space for themselves. But everywhere outside of the villages you come across ruins, so it's evident that Hyrule used to be populated in a much denser manner and that the level of destruction was massive 100 years ago; this is especially true in the central area of the map. All those ruins show the imminent future of Hyrule if the hero doesn't act.

You're totally right. But since this is a open game. That doesn't happen. You can infinitly moop around and do whatever. Zelda isn't gonna get tired. That's the disconnect he's really reffering to. Like I didn't give two pennies about the memories. Since Link basically doesn't. He has that confusing face. But than went whatever. And since the champs aren't expanded on all that much. Probably for us to buy DLC pack 2... I didn't care to get anything else.

Now say we could do bonus missions where we could revive the champs. Or do love relasionships with them. I would put more effort to get those memories. They're just gorified cutscene unlocks. Link has to be in this area to remember. He doesn't just suffer from memories popping in randomly and the player is trying to figure out where they fit in. I'd find that more interesting. Zelda having his magic phone number over Mipha, is also annoying. They loved each other. But is the least interacted with. She'd know Link the most. And be the one to give back a lot of details. We can use the beasts as warp points. But can't call the ghosts and just do a chat. While they wait for Link to get into the castle?

Around the Network

I'm okay with differing opinions but I'll say this:

I logged in well over 120 hours with BotW and loved every moment of it. I did my best to get 100% complete without a guide though there were a few missions I never completed and things I didn't find. I could easily name some flaws but, at the end of the day, this game made new happier than I could ever imagine and I look back at the whole experience with fond memories. It's the game that instantly justified the purchase of brand new hardware for me.

I'm not even the most fanatical as there's tons of people on this site that have dwarfed my playtime and love it more than me. If a game gives you nothing but happiness and satisfaction and, when the credits roll, you think to yourself, "That was amazing.", what more could you ask for? Especially in this day and age where audiences are more (nit) picky than ever.

Wonder if they ever did anything like this with all the other great games out there.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

This is just a hater article.

I don't agree with it. but hey it is a free world

Switch!!!

Overrated my ass.
BotW is the best game since OoT.

People have 2 choices to make: live in denial and mad about the greatness of the game, or live happy enjoying it.

Universal fact.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Shiken said:

Yet it is still hands down the best game released in over a decade. Haters gonna hate!

Them's some fighting words.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

NobleTeam360 said:

The opinion of one person does not concern me, I'll probably buy BOTW and love it.

Edit: or the opinion of anyone else for that matter. 

If you manage to get 1/10th the playtime as I did out of it you'll still be in for a solid 24 hours of fun :)

See the article as "we'd like some clicks please" but everyone can have their opinion on the game. Just as long as the opinion is based on experience that's all I'd want of people, the fact that they mention no bosses to be found in the world means they likely haven't encountered the desert boss's or the other things which are the 84 hidden boss's though the game. I think it was 84 anyway.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

RolStoppable said:
archer9234 said:

You're totally right. But since this is a open game. That doesn't happen. You can infinitly moop around and do whatever. Zelda isn't gonna get tired. That's the disconnect he's really reffering to. Like I didn't give two pennies about the memories. Since Link basically doesn't. He has that confusing face. But than went whatever. And since the champs aren't expanded on all that much. Probably for us to buy DLC pack 2... I didn't care to get anything else.

Now say we could do bonus missions where we could revive the champs. Or do love relasionships with them. I would put more effort to get those memories. They're just gorified cutscene unlocks. Link has to be in this area to remember. He doesn't just suffer from memories popping in randomly and the player is trying to figure out where they fit in. I'd find that more interesting. Zelda having his magic phone number over Mipha, is also annoying. They loved each other. But is the least interacted with. She'd know Link the most. And be the one to give back a lot of details. We can use the beasts as warp points. But can't call the ghosts and just do a chat. While they wait for Link to get into the castle?

There are hardly any modern games with a ticking clock, so there's no point in holding that against Breath of the Wild. The actual event of demise rarely happens in any game, therefore giving players all the time they want.

But without the linear story to keep people pushed. They will delve into flaws and nitpicks of the game. Which happens here.

I've bought this bu haven't started playing it yet (trying to finish Persona 5 first). I'm a little worried though because I didn't like the last Zelda game I played (the one that came out at launch with the Wii), and I generally like games with good stories OR character progression (making your character stronger). I hope I'm pleasantry surprised, though. Any of you have reasons I should have hope? Is there a good story? Can Link become stronger? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Zelda games.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

BOTW was a game I willingly gave over two hundred hours into and am looking to add quite a bit more once the second DLC comes out.

It's all opinions and obviously they're looking for click bait. I found the life in BOTW to be stunning. I found the complexity and smooth nature of the game to be extremely rewarding. This is the Zelda I had always wanted to play, something where I could sink my teeth into it and hold on for hours while discovering new locations, new enemies, subtle details in the world around you, etc. It's not that it truly brought anything new to the industry. It's that it is the first to bring everything together so wonderfully.

BOTW is a game that down the road, perhaps years, I can pick up and rediscover that world is almost an entirely new way (much like my second play through) which makes this game one of those timeless treasures that we'll be talking about for decades to come.