By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Destructoid: Breaking down why Breath of the Wild is highly overrated

d21lewis said:
Don't judge a fan base by its most fanatical members. Good or bad.

Don't you know the internet rules? Pick the most extreme example and generalize it to bigger group for best effect.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Something can be the Game of the Year, totally reinvent a beloved franchise, and not be perfect.

That's not the same as being "overrated" imo.

Of course BotW has shortcomings. I think even the 10/10 crowd will be upfront about this.

I haven't played BotW yet, so I can't comment on that front, but I'd say that games are rated too highly in general. The full 100 point scale being used would be much better. Unfortunately though, it's not going to happen, especially when current games will be compared to the score of older games.

Johnw1104 said:
The only way you can be sure that a game (or film) really are superb is if they're soon accompanied by a surly wave of contrarians attempting to rewrite the narrative lol

The game had some flaws (I can certainly think of a few), and a greater diversity of enemies would certainly suit the game, but this is a game that most people played waaaay beyond 40 hours before getting bored of it, and those 40+ hours were incredible.

I don't mind the criticism as it introduces some ideas that might make for an even better Zelda next time, but it's ridiculous to try and claim this game was anything but a masterpiece; after all, there's never been a "masterpiece" that couldn't be improved.

That's actually why I'm so excited for the next game, as Miyamoto said they'd be able to turn one around faster as they'd re-use the engine. This game was very clearly an introductory attempt to enter a genre that they'd never dabbled in, and they managed to stick the landing unlike just about anyone outside of GTA III. The pieces and framework are all well established, and I fully expect the next sequel to be more focused on additional content and details.

While I enjoy the new art style each Zelda game tosses, I wouldn't mind going back in thsi world.

Imagine jumping foward a 100 years or something and since its the same world you recognize the world yet it's all new as well. The ruins are being rebuilt. The stables expanded into smaller towns. With the Divine Beasts under control the people are able to re-open lets say some HUGE dungeons that were hidden before. You know like a Water dungeon was under the water that beast was roaming. A sand dungeon out in teh desert hidden, ect.

The few lines of the article that Rol quoted made me think BotW must be a little like Morrowind.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Smartie900 said:
Is Breath Of The Wild that good? I'm picking out a game to buy with my Switch and I was thinking between this, Splatoon 2, and MK8. Which one should i get?

All three.

In seriousness, all three are good games. You have to decide which you want the most: Zelda is a good single-player experience, MK8 is great for local multiplayer and to an extent online and Splatoon for Online-matches.

If only Nintendo had free online for the Switch... :(

Smartie900 said:
Mnementh said:

All three.

In seriousness, all three are good games. You have to decide which you want the most: Zelda is a good single-player experience, MK8 is great for local multiplayer and to an extent online and Splatoon for Online-matches.

If only Nintendo had free online for the Switch... :(

Online is free until next year sometime I believe

The article is stupid. Not because the subjective opinion of the game being over rated is wrong, but because the supposed objective reasons are flat out wrong. Time may have given Majora's Mask a glossy coating for the author, but Clock Town doesn't have more depth than the entirety of Zelda - It has less content and characters than Necluda alone. If you took away all the Orbs and seeds, you would still have dozens of weapons to find in the world, vastly more items than any Zelda has ever seen.

And the story actually has tremendous depth. It's told in a GoT style of piecing together the events of the past while living out a parallel adventure in the modern time. It's a style of story telling that's a bit complex for some.