By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
BasilZero said:

Crazy how much the Bonus boosts do to help you in the grind in the FF games.

IT's so weird, I genuinely hate the IDEA of boosts because it FEELS like cheapening the experience...

...but all it really does is expose just how grindy those old games are/were. I love them with a passion but like, I'm sorry but who has that time anymore? Adding in the boosts just makes the games feel like a more well-paced experience. It DOES tip over in the player's favour and does in fact minimize the challenge, but I'd rather have a game that is easy and fun vs a game that's grindy and boring for the sake of being hard. 

I'd rather the balance was better in the first place but this is a viable alternative option. Plus you get to DECIDE what you want to do, so you can do 2x or 4x or 0.5x or even 0x if you want. Options are good! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

IT's so weird, I genuinely hate the IDEA of boosts because it FEELS like cheapening the experience...

...but all it really does is expose just how grindy those old games are/were. I love them with a passion but like, I'm sorry but who has that time anymore? Adding in the boosts just makes the games feel like a more well-paced experience. It DOES tip over in the player's favour and does in fact minimize the challenge, but I'd rather have a game that is easy and fun vs a game that's grindy and boring for the sake of being hard. 

I'd rather the balance was better in the first place but this is a viable alternative option. Plus you get to DECIDE what you want to do, so you can do 2x or 4x or 0.5x or even 0x if you want. Options are good! 

Absolutely 100%

Options are great and the fact that you can modify it to how much (even to 0%) is great for different types of replays as well.

The encounters on/off option helps a lot too - when I first played Bravely Default on the 3DS and saw it had that option, always wanted the FF series to have it as well and that became reality through the Pixel Remasters lol.

For comparison to those who may not know.

Fave song in the franchise.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

GoOnKid said:

Happy new year everyone.

So the first game I finished in 2024 is What Remains of Edith Finch. It is short enough to be completed in a single afternoon, I've had it on my wishlist for a while and I bought it on sale today. I know it is not the newest game and I'm sure there were a lot of discussions about it here in vgchartz, but anyway. I felt like I had to share a thought about it.

It broke me. I am a 39 year old grownup but I cried like a little b*tch. Yes it is short, and yes it is basically just an interactive story, but man, it hit me hard.

I just bought that game too.  I heard good things and had it in my wishlist on Deku Deals.  Saw it was on sale and picked it up.  I actually had some Gold coins that were going to expire in about 3 months, so the holiday sale seemed like a good time to use them.  I picked up What Remains of Edith Finch, Transistor, Shakedown: Hawaii, and Guacamelee! 2 Complete all for free.  I also grabbed Untitled Goose Game for $9.00 from Walmart.  Target also has it for $9.00 right now, which is the cheapest it has ever been.

Just about a week ago I also used some Gold coins to grab Ape Out and The Last Campfire while they were on sale.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

BasilZero said:
Runa216 said:

Absolutely 100%

Options are great and the fact that you can modify it to how much (even to 0%) is great for different types of replays as well.

The encounters on/off option helps a lot too - when I first played Bravely Default on the 3DS and saw it had that option, always wanted the FF series to have it as well and that became reality through the Pixel Remasters lol.

Yep, it did feel great to flow the experience at my place when I played Bravely Second. + It did help that the Bravely series gives you Bonus XP and JP depending on your battle performances, you can rack a lot of you do a succession of battles in a row while managing your Bravely points.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Playing Castlevania NES reminded me how different and stiff the controls could be. The jump doesn't feel like any type of platform I've played and it's difficult to jump off momentum ... Or rather too easy sometimes ....

4th and 5th stage got me in fumes at their boss stages as well ... Had to resort to the save feature at Death's boss battle, prolly would've took 3 hours to finish that stage otherwise.

theRepublic said:
GoOnKid said:

Happy new year everyone.

So the first game I finished in 2024 is What Remains of Edith Finch. It is short enough to be completed in a single afternoon, I've had it on my wishlist for a while and I bought it on sale today. I know it is not the newest game and I'm sure there were a lot of discussions about it here in vgchartz, but anyway. I felt like I had to share a thought about it.

It broke me. I am a 39 year old grownup but I cried like a little b*tch. Yes it is short, and yes it is basically just an interactive story, but man, it hit me hard.

I just bought that game too.  I heard good things and had it in my wishlist on Deku Deals.  Saw it was on sale and picked it up.  I actually had some Gold coins that were going to expire in about 3 months, so the holiday sale seemed like a good time to use them.  I picked up What Remains of Edith Finch, Transistor, Shakedown: Hawaii, and Guacamelee! 2 Complete all for free.  I also grabbed Untitled Goose Game for $9.00 from Walmart.  Target also has it for $9.00 right now, which is the cheapest it has ever been.

Just about a week ago I also used some Gold coins to grab Ape Out and The Last Campfire while they were on sale.

Pretty nice games, enjoy!

Mar1217 said:

Playing Castlevania NES reminded me how different and stiff the controls could be. The jump doesn't feel like any type of platform I've played and it's difficult to jump off momentum ... Or rather too easy sometimes ....

4th and 5th stage got me in fumes at their boss stages as well ... Had to resort to the save feature at Death's boss battle, prolly would've took 3 hours to finish that stage otherwise.

Oh yeah, the difficulty is insane. Death can be obliterated with Holy Water but bringing it to the fight is very hard.

What's an obscure Nintendo franchise that could be made part of the Mario canon? I know that's not ideal to some people, but at least it'd keep certain IPs from ending up left to rot.

For instance, R.O.B. fits in easily with Mario characters as we saw in Mario Kart DS, and I think so can the Ice Climbers and Punch-Out boxers, seeing as Mario was already a referee in the NES Punch-Out.

GoOnKid said:
theRepublic said:

Mar1217 said:

Oh yeah, the difficulty is insane. Death can be obliterated with Holy Water but bringing it to the fight is very hard.

Wouldn't have thought of that considering how most people say the Holy Water is a shit item hahaha. 

No I used the cross which at some point in the fight, destroying it's projectiles gave a double cross power up.

Mar1217 said:
GoOnKid said:

Mar1217 said:

Wouldn't have thought of that considering how most people say the Holy Water is a shit item hahaha. 

No I used the cross which at some point in the fight, destroying it's projectiles gave a double cross power up.

The Holy Water is insanely op in this game as it can make all boss fights waaaaay easier since it stuns them in place.