By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Jim Ryan on old Gran Turismo Games: "Why would anybody play this?"

Well I wouldn't want to play Gran Turismo 2 or 4 on my PS4.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Chris Hu said:

But it isn't selling poorly.  It passed the 25 million units sold mark a while ago and if had more up to date numbers it probably already passed the Sega Genesis /Mega Drive the best selling Sega console ever.

You're comparing it to 4 generations prior?  When the market was still in its relative infancy?  And the best selling home console was NES with 60M?  In the current market, the newly expanded one after the PS1 helped it grow, where the market leader sells 100M+, 25M isn't good.  Especially when a lot of those sales came from firesales that cut into Xbox profits.  It's also down YOY, with 2015 being its peak year.  There's a reason MS refuses to give any updated numbers, and its not because it's doing well.  It's the same reason MS is cutting Xbox's budget.

I think you need to brush up on your video game history the market was in its infancy during the Atari 2600 era not during the 16 bit era by that time it already had matured a lot in both the console and PC market.

because those old ones are much more interesting to play. Not so much handholding, player has to discover the gameworld himself and how the gamemehanics work. Resident Evil 1,2,3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every RE beyound 3

Regardless of Jim's comment or not, though there are no real evidence as to how many percent of gamers use BC on a console. I believe it is very much below 10% of the install base. It is much more the anticipation and expectation on peoples mind, that they would love the idea of playing BC games. But when it comes to it, I don't think many people actually would play older PS games. Below 10% I estimate.
It is much more a marketing deal to have BC in the portfolio of console specs, and the perception for consumers to have the option of playing BC games, rather than any other commercial incentives.

Even had he meant all older games, I would have agreed with him. There's so many games right now, why would you want to go so far back? Somehow I've always managed to get everything I have wanted out of each console cycle, so that when I have moved on to the next, there hasn't been anything left to go back for. Maybe I've had too much time on my hands, or maybe I only buy the next console once I'm truly done with the previous one. Why would you buy the new console if you still want to play older games? And if you own the older console already, why would you need BC? Well, thanks to the x86 move by Sony, they will have BC anyways in future cycles, so.. solved.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I feel like Sony is just making excuses. I remember them saying back when PS2 BC was removed from PS3 that nobody used it. I'm highly doubtful of this claim however, MS has said that alot of people used both original Xbox BC on 360 and 360 BC on XB1. Also, his example of Gran Turismo is terrible. Racing games are mostly identical except for graphics, of course people would gravitate toward the newer GT games. It's a different matter for other genres. Some genres like turn based RPG's are becoming increasingly rare nowadays, so BC is the best way to play those genres.

I fully agree with this. Also, it is kinda a bad sign, if a game isn't attractive anymore because it is old. In Gran Turismos case the newer version basically replace the older version. For your RPG-example: Old versions of Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem or Pokemon are still desirable, because new versions are no replacement for these. Sure, we all take the remakes with better graphics (these are the replacements), but if this doesn't exist, the old games are still played.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I love to play Secret of Mana right now, though

Same interview.

PS4 Sells Double of Xbox One in NA; Triple in Europe

“In Europe, it’s really been fortress PlayStation by at least 3-to-1 in unit sales.” 

https://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ps4-double-xbox-one-europe/

Chris Hu said:
thismeintiel said:

You're comparing it to 4 generations prior?  When the market was still in its relative infancy?  And the best selling home console was NES with 60M?  In the current market, the newly expanded one after the PS1 helped it grow, where the market leader sells 100M+, 25M isn't good.  Especially when a lot of those sales came from firesales that cut into Xbox profits.  It's also down YOY, with 2015 being its peak year.  There's a reason MS refuses to give any updated numbers, and its not because it's doing well.  It's the same reason MS is cutting Xbox's budget.

I think you need to brush up on your video game history the market was in its infancy during the Atari 2600 era not during the 16 bit era by that time it already had matured a lot in both the console and PC market.

Except we had a crash. And then the market basically rebooted itself.  It was still relatively young.  And we are far away from that gen, where combined the Top 5 didn't even hit 95M.  Now, the market leader sells 5M+ more than that all on its own.  Face it. XBO is doing poorly.  MS may not say it, but their actions show they know it is.  And even more so when you compare it to its 85M units sold predecessor, of which it doesn't look like it will hit half that number.

The specific approach of roasting old games (tho Gran Turismo might bea good target) is silly, but I agree with Sony's business decision. BC doesn't seem to help consoles like Wii U or Xbox one, and PS4 and Wii did great without it. For a lomg time! it looked like maybeBC was important to Nintendo handheld success! but teventhat is in doubt if you look at Switch.
Having an online store with retro games seems to be enough. That said, I do wish someone would enable collectingon there old school storefronts; instead you have to repurchase everything every timeyou upgrade to a new system.