By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Jim Ryan on old Gran Turismo Games: "Why would anybody play this?"

So in other words. Buy our Remasters.
I do agree about the GT thing. Why play the older ones when the newer ones are superior. Like Sport games. Why play NBA 12 when you can play NBA 17. However there are plenty of great games in the past that gamers miss out on. This guy should watch the Xbox E3 announcement and see the crowd reactions. BC is nothing less a positive for a console.

Around the Network

As has always been the case, B/C is a nice feature to have, but in the grand scheme of things it means jack shit. If it did, XBO wouldn't be selling so poorly.

I do have to say, though, Sony has got to be planning on bringing PS1 B/C to either the PS4 or PS5. Otherwise, there's little to no reason to keep PS1 games up on the store. I also expect the PS5 to be B/C with the PS4, since they are most likely sticking with AMD and the x86 architecture.

thismeintiel said:
As has always been the case, B/C is a nice feature to have, but in the grand scheme of things it means jack shit. If it did, XBO wouldn't be selling so poorly.

I do have to say, though, Sony has got to be planning on bringing PS1 B/C to either the PS4 or PS5. Otherwise, there's little to no reason to keep PS1 games up on the store. I also expect the PS5 to be B/C with the PS4, since they are most likely sticking with AMD and the x86 architecture.

But it isn't selling poorly.  It passed the 25 million units sold mark a while ago and if had more up to date numbers it probably already passed the Sega Genesis /Mega Drive the best selling Sega console ever.

shikamaru317 said:

I feel like Sony is just making excuses. I remember them saying back when PS2 BC was removed from PS3 that nobody used it. I'm highly doubtful of this claim however, MS has said that alot of people used both original Xbox BC on 360 and 360 BC on XB1. Also, his example of Gran Turismo is terrible. Racing games are mostly identical except for graphics, of course people would gravitate toward the newer GT games. It's a different matter for other genres. Some genres like turn based RPG's are becoming increasingly rare nowadays, so BC is the best way to play those genres.

I used PS2 bc on my PS3 and when it broke, I was devastated. 

Azzanation said:
I do agree about the GT thing. Why play the older ones when the newer ones are superior. Like Sport games. Why play NBA 12 when you can play NBA 17. However there are plenty of great games in the past that gamers miss out on. This guy should watch the Xbox E3 announcement and see the crowd reactions. BC is nothing less a positive for a console.

Sports games is a bad example. How about i buy one game. And then wait 10 years. Nothing really changes besides graphics and roster.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
lol what a ringing endorsement for PS Now.

I don't see gran turismo 1 or 2 on ps now so that doesn't exactly work. He's dead right too,  very few would care to play them when you prefer the sequels.  

Anyway thanks for changing the title to accurately reflect what he said.  I wonder does gaf still have the clickbait one. 

You might not see GT but there are plenty of older generation games on the list. There are like 7 God of Wars for example. Why? According to this guy there should maybe only be one. And when the new one launches, there's apparently no reason to play any of the older ones.

archer9234 said:
Azzanation said:

Sports games is a bad example. How about i buy one game. And then wait 10 years. Nothing really changes besides graphics and roster.

To be honest outside of graphics and the addition of online play, nothing has really changed all that much in GT since it reached its pinnacle in GT2/3.

Chris Hu said:
thismeintiel said:

But it isn't selling poorly.  It passed the 25 million units sold mark a while ago and if had more up to date numbers it probably already passed the Sega Genesis /Mega Drive the best selling Sega console ever.

You're comparing it to 4 generations prior?  When the market was still in its relative infancy?  And the best selling home console was NES with 60M?  In the current market, the newly expanded one after the PS1 helped it grow, where the market leader sells 100M+, 25M isn't good.  Especially when a lot of those sales came from firesales that cut into Xbox profits.  It's also down YOY, with 2015 being its peak year.  There's a reason MS refuses to give any updated numbers, and its not because it's doing well.  It's the same reason MS is cutting Xbox's budget.

thismeintiel said:
Chris Hu said:

In a market where the market leader sells 100M+, 25M isn't good.  Especially when a lot of those sales came from firesales that cut into MS profits.  It's also down YOY, with 2015 being its peak year.  There's a reason MS refuses to give any updated numbers, and its not because it's doing well.  It's the same reason MS is cutting Xbox's budget.

That might be the case but its sales aren't really poor and any console that sells over 25 million and will easily sell over 30 million units by the time its out of production isn't a sales failure or poor seller. 

Chris Hu said:
thismeintiel said:

In a market where the market leader sells 100M+, 25M isn't good.  Especially when a lot of those sales came from firesales that cut into MS profits.  It's also down YOY, with 2015 being its peak year.  There's a reason MS refuses to give any updated numbers, and its not because it's doing well.  It's the same reason MS is cutting Xbox's budget.

That might be the case but its sales aren't really poor and any console that sells over 25 million and will easily sell over 30 million units by the time its out of production isn't a sales failure or poor seller. 

You might want to read my edit.  It put things into even more perspective.  Basically, considering a lot of those sales had to be pushed with $50+ firesales doesn't really help your case.  That you have to compare it to a system that came 4 generations earlier, when console gaming was still relatively young and much smaller, to make it seem like a success should say it all.  It's the reason MS is cutting the budget.  Xbox is not earning its keep.  And even with 30M sold, Xbox as a HW maker is definitely going to be put into question by the higher ups if the Scorpio fails to turn things around.  That's why Spencer has been putting so much focus on it.  It may be there last chance to remain relevant in the home console market.

SWORDF1SH said:
What a silly thing to say when you offer a service that plays last gen games and you sell PS2 games on the PS Store.

Because fuck you but give us money.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"