By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Jim Ryan on old Gran Turismo Games: "Why would anybody play this?"

Mar1217 said:
naruball said:

I'll ask again. When?

The day when they'll a grow a spine and will put BC on the next PS 

It's wishful thinking though

I see. I thought you meant that you played GT1 on your ps1 recently with them. It'd be interesting to see if you actually enjoy it as much and for as long as you did back then. Something tells me it wouldn't be the case, but I know that I could be wrong, of course.

Around the Network

Gran Turismo 3 is still my favourite in the series and the only one I'll bother playing these days. I also play old games as much or more so than new ones. However I also keep the old hardware since BC isn't guaranteed to exist or work as well as original hardware.

I think Sony are probably right about BC not being used very much. I wish I could find some sources because I know I've read several reports for over a decade that said at most something like nearly 20% of gamers use BC more than a few times. Even just 4 years ago Microsoft was saying that BC was backwards thinking and telling gamers there was an Xbox 360 for all their nostalgia needs. Now Microsoft says nearly 50% have used BC on Xbox One but don't give details on how many use it regularly, leading me to guess that since a slight majority never even touch the feature, the number who do use it more than occasionally is probably about as low as it always has been.

Most people buy a new console for new games and a lot of people seem to think old games are both awful to look at and to play. Dated is the term I hear a lot. Of course there is a decent number of people who at least are interested in BC and it certainly makes for some nice publicity and can build a certain amount of trust with some gamers but if it were really so important to a sizeable amount of people then Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo would ensure all their consoles featured BC as standard instead of just offering it occasionally.

Been playing Gran turismo 4 recently, getting in the mood for sport, graphics ain't nothing but a true thang!

Why would anyone play PS2 games over current games? Oh, I don't know. Maybe because they were shipped fully tested, required no DLC, had all of the content on disc and for the most part, were way better single player, story based games? Should I also voice my opinion on how most of them were way more original as well?

He should just admit the obvious and go with "why let them buy a disc off eBay for 5 bucks when we can resell them digitally for 15?"

lol what a ringing endorsement for PS Now.

Around the Network

RPGs, RPGs look even more charming when they´re old. I love old RPGs

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

BraLoD said:
WagnerPaiva said:
RPGs, RPGs look even more charming when they´re old. I love old RPGs

And they love you back.

I am thinking about getting a PS3 to play Suikoden. But it is so stupid. Why Sony does not release the games on PSN PS4????

And, guess what, I could play Suikoden 1 and 2 RIGHT NOW, like, NOW. But I wanted to do it legit.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

shikamaru317 said:

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1385853

http://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/

Why bother with PS now then?

LudicrousSpeed said:
lol what a ringing endorsement for PS Now.

I don't see gran turismo 1 or 2 on ps now so that doesn't exactly work. He's dead right too,  very few would care to play them when you prefer the sequels.  

Anyway thanks for changing the title to accurately reflect what he said.  I wonder does gaf still have the clickbait one. 

Not sure about Gran Turismo 1 and 3 since they have smaller car rosters but I'm pretty sure both 2 and 4 and probably also 5 and 6 have a lot of cars where they no longer have the license for some of the cars so that is why them republishing them is highly unlikely. Expired car licenses is also why you will probably never see Forza Motorsports 1, 2, 3 and 4 added to the X1 backwards compatibility list. The first Horizon game was barely added in time since the license on all the DLC cars ended shortly after it was added to the backwards compatibility and the license on some of the cars in the main game also expired that is why you no longer can buy it digitally also.