By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Jim Ryan on old Gran Turismo Games: "Why would anybody play this?"

I find going back to PS2 difficult. Only did it at any length with GTA 3, and it was a five knuckle shillelagh to the breadbasket. Took a bit to get over the shock of it's looks/performance. I still play on PS3, but mostly EDF 2025, and Yakuza 5. I tend to move on to the new stuff, so BC means very little to me. Plus, I keep my systems now, so if I want to play something older I can, which further negates BC's usefulness. That's just me though. I get that others have more use for it.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
shikamaru317 said:

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1385853

http://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/

For the gameplay.

In a genre where game-play has improved with advances in technology?  I don't see why, not unless they have no access to newer games or they're one of those gamers who try to convince themselves that older means better.  I loved the first GT games and played the hell out of them but I see no reason to go back to them.  His example doesn't work universally but it does work relative to the games he referenced.

That's what I asked when I tried Gran Turismo 5, my first and last Gran Turismo game.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Ka-pi96 said:
So... this guy is Sony's version of don mattrick right? Fuck that douche!

He's coming off as more of their Aaron Greenberg to me, since he doesn't have nearly as much control over the brand as Mattrick did, though I doubt the quote sounded nearly as bad when he said it. He was probably trying to make a joke, but without being able to tell if he was light-hearted or not it comes off as old games look clunky and terrible. 

Mar1217 said:
I had some of my best time in gaming playing GT 1, so he can go f- himself with his graphics anywhere he wants.

When? Would you replay  GT1 for more than an hour if it were to become available on ps4? That's his point.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
KLAMarine said:

For the gameplay.

In a genre where game-play has improved with advances in technology?  I don't see why, not unless they have no access to newer games or they're one of those gamers who try to convince themselves that older means better.  I loved the first GT games and played the hell out of them but I see no reason to go back to them.  His example doesn't work universally but it does work relative to the games he referenced.

Come on. Some people like the way games were designed in earlier generations. We don't need to convince ourselves that older means better. We actually believe it. 

I think game design peaked in the 4th, 5th, and 6th gens. I didn't need to do any mental gymnastics to believe that "lie." I played the games and prefer them, in general, to modern ones.

As for Gran Turismo, there are many reasons one might prefer the older installments. Maybe the newer ones include progression that's more tedious, maybe they include new modes that are boring, inferior track design, poor music selection, long loading times, etc.

Game design and technology don't move forward in a 1:1 ratio. Games get prettier graphics and more realistic physics, but modes are dropped or tweaked; single-player is diminished at the expense of multiplayer or vice versa; level and track design change, for better or worse; and so on.

pokoko said:
KLAMarine said:

For the gameplay.

Maybe some just prefer the old mechanics?

Why would anyone want to game on a Playstation?

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Hey internet, some might not understand what to think when a soft spoken man is asking a question like this.....

Mar1217 said:
naruball said:

When? Would you replay  GT1 for more than an hour if it were to become available on ps4? That's his point.

Absolutely ! Specially with my brother and sister. We put way too much time into this game with our PS1

I'll ask again. When?