By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Jim Ryan on old Gran Turismo Games: "Why would anybody play this?"

Now to continue porting every old game we can get our hands on.

Around the Network

Lol what a silly comment. Gameplay is what makes games, not graphics. Glad Microsoft feels different about BC, it's a very important feature for me.

That's an awful stance to take. I'm sure a lot of people would love to play the old classics, plus the more options so the better. I guess I'll have to stick with emulation to play some older games

Well if you're only strictly looking at Gran Turismo, yeah. I think the argument could be made that those games have only gotten better with time and that each successive version is superior to the others.

That line of reasoning holds up for almost no other franchises though.

"You don't like what you think you like."

Around the Network

Theres a reason why every week top downloads consist of PS1/PS2 classics.

I like most of the Sony executives, but Jim Ryan comes off rather obnoxious in these interviews. Both this comment (even though, as another poster noted, this was mainly about GT1 and 2) and the bragging about 2-1 sales over the Xbox are both bad looks for him. 

His actual comment was in relation to gran turismo 1 and 2. He never said all games. Terrible click bait headline.

Personally I'm hoping the ps5 will be powerful enough to brute force emulate ps3 games. And being compatible with the entire ps4 library should be straight forward.

Sony made a lot of improvements this gen. Next gen I think backwards compatible will be their next improvement and it will help then gain even more market over xbox.

Yeah, who would want to play retro games? Like ever?
*looks at NES mini* CLEARLY NO ONE!

On a personal note, my heart bleeds, Spyro the Dragon is one of my all time favourite games, I don't care if you think it's blocky and ugly.

Kerotan said:
His actual comment was in relation to gran turismo 1 and 2. He never said all games. Terrible click bait headline.

Personally I'm hoping the ps5 will be powerful enough to brute force emulate ps3 games. And being compatible with the entire ps4 library should be straight forward.

Sony made a lot of improvements this gen. Next gen I think backwards compatible will be their next improvement and it will help then gain even more market over xbox.

+1

and I totally agree with him on this one. Some genres actually have improved over time (racing), so why would anyone play GT1 over any more recent one? Even some of the tracks are repeated.