By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CONFIRMED! Xbox Scorpio will be shown Thursday at 2pm UK / 6am Pacific. (April 6th)

I am interested to see what they show off. However, I very much doubt I will purchase a Scorpio, largely because I have not had the best of experiences with the Xbox One. Each generation I typically go with Nintendo (home console and portable; for exclusives and portability), PC (for multiplatform games), and Sony (home console and portable; for exclusives and portability), with my purchases of systems also being in the aforementioned order. However, this generation I decided to substitute a Playstation home console with an Xbox, and so far I have found little use for the Xbox One considering most of the exclusives are now available on Windows as well and two of the games I was waiting for (Fable Legends and Scalebound, both of which would have also been on Windows) got canceled. I personally hope that with the Scorpio reveal, MS shows some new exclusive titles for their Xbox One eco-system, but if all we end up seeing Forza 7 and some multiplats running 4k then I think I will sell the XOne for a PS4 (nothing against the XOne family, I think they are a good line of systems for those without gaming PCs, but with a gaming PC they just seem a bit redundant since most of MS's exclusive games are already available on PC) .

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
Zekkyou said:

Of course, not only did they all release recently but VGC's data is a month behind. Nier for example currently only has a single week in Japan listed, nothing else. Given a year, i'd say 5 of those 8 games (Nioh, Horizon, Nier, MLB, and Persona 5) will pass a million.

The thing about those "niche Japanese games that hardly anyone buys" (as you put it in another comment) is that there are quite a few of them, and most of them do actually tend to do relatively well. I wouldn't be surprised if the combined sales for the PS4's nicher Q1 titles was equivalent to MS's holiday line up.

Selling around a million on a 60 + million install base is like braggin if a game sells half a million on xbox one. A mediocre COD game can outsell those games easily. People care more for the multiplatform games more thus the reason why Microsoft is trying to make the best experience on xbox. 

I never said it was something to brag about, but i also don't see why we'd mock them. Individually they're very tailored experiences that often have tiny marketing budgets, it's hardly reasonable to expect them to pull in Horizon numbers. Collectively though, they're a fairly valuable asset.

I didn't mention multi-plats as you didn't bring it up in the comment i was replying too, though i'm sceptical as how relevant the Scorpio's advantage will be there. A lot of the significance of the PS4's advantage was tied to price, which is a factor the Scorpio is likley to lack. Even then, i'd say it was a helping push rather than anything decisively victory defining.

A lot will depend on how MS market the Scorpio, because as it stands its target audience is quite limited. If someone cares about performance and doesn't already own a console, they're probably already a PC gamer. If they do own one, they then need to care enough to own/buy a 4K TV, then another console that doesn't play any(?) new games.

Bandorr said:
Zekkyou said:

I never said it was something to brag about, but i also don't see why we'd mock them. Individually they're very tailored experiences that often have tiny marketing budgets, it's hardly reasonable to expect them to pull in Horizon numbers. Collectively though, they're a fairly valuable asset.

I didn't mention multi-plats as you didn't bring it up in the comment i was replying too, though i'm sceptical as how relevant the Scorpio's advantage will be there. A lot of the significance of the PS4's advantage was tied to price, which is a factor the Scorpio is likley to lack. Even then, i'd say it was a helping push rather than anything decisively victory defining.

A lot will depend on how MS market the Scorpio, because as it stands its target audience is quite limited. If someone cares about performance and doesn't already own a console, they're probably already a PC gamer. If they do own one, they then need to care enough to own/buy a 4K TV, then another console that doesn't play any(?) new games.

I always found the target group to be quite small. They have to care more about power than price. Yet not have a PC. Yet also have a 4K TV. Seems an odd targeting.

I do hope both Sony and MS continue to have .5 versions of their consoles, but i think the problem this time round is 4k. It's awesome for someone like me who values image quality and is willing to pay for it, if i wasn't a PC gamer i'd be ecstatic about the Scorpio. For the average consumer though, it's a pretty steep wall to climb.

I think the Scorpio will do a lot better if it can also do 1080p/60fps. It'll still face challenges (price in particular; it'll cost more than a 1080p/60fps X1 should), but it'd be more readily appealing. 

Bandorr said:
I always found the target group to be quite small. They have to care more about power than price. Yet not have a PC. Yet also have a 4K TV. Seems an odd targeting.

Well the PS4Pro last year and especially the Scorpio arrive in time because this argument is completely untrue these days its actually hard to buy a new TV and not have it operating at 4k, even televisions priced under $500 have 4k these days its become the new standard, sure for HDR you need to pay around $600 and you need to pay more for bigger sizes and better HDR/4k qaulity but even someone on a budget is likely to pick up a 4k television these days.

That shift actually went quite fast 2 years ago 1080p screens where still released like crazy!

Twitter @CyberMalistix

malistix1985 said:

Bandorr said:

Well the PS4Pro last year and especially the Scorpio arrive in time because this argument is completely untrue these days its actually hard to buy a new TV and not have it operating at 4k, even televisions priced under $500 have 4k these days its become the new standard, sure for HDR you need to pay around $600 and you need to pay more for bigger sizes and better HDR/4k qaulity but even someone on a budget is likely to pick up a 4k television these days.

That shift actually went quite fast 2 years ago 1080p screens where still released like crazy!

The thing is, most people already own a TV. It's easy to say "look, they're only a few hundred dollars now!", but people have to care enough to spend that money on a better version of what they already have. They then have to care enough to buy a more expensive new console. They also, however, have to not care enough that they're already getting that experience on PC. 4k will definitely become the new standard, but we aren't there yet. 

The Scorpio could do well, but these factors will almost certainly hold it back, just as they hold back the Pro. The only question is by how much. If the Scorpio has a 1080p/60fps mode, i expect that's what the majority will be useing.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

If the Scorpio has a 1080p/60fps mode, i expect that's what the majority will be useing.

Yes, that would help a lot to  Scorpio.

But I predict 4k/30 FPS + supersampled 1080p just like on the Pro.

If forza is their headline reveal, then they have already failed.

They need to show something different. Something grand. Epic. Forza games look perfect as they are anyway. I fail to see how making them shinier is going to make them more appealing.

foodfather said:
If forza is their headline reveal, then they have already failed.

They need to show something different. Something grand. Epic. Forza games look perfect as they are anyway. I fail to see how making them shinier is going to make them more appealing.

Well this is just going to be showing the hardware I am sure if they have something big in their pocket they would leave it for E3 and not announce it in the middle of nowhere when only people who really care check the news

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Mr Puggsly said:
SegataSanshiro said:
I really need a 40 terafloperoos machine with just more Halo and Forza. I wish XBO would get more diverse titles but the ones I keep getting interested in they cancel.

I scrolled down I saw the first person really complaining about Scorpio's specs, its like you're in every Scorpio thread.

I'm gonna say something that may be very shocking to you... people don't just play exclusives on Xbox or Playstation consoles. I'll give you a moment to think about that.

Wasn't complaining so chill. It was a half joke so chill. I don't give two shit about specs to complain. Patronize all you want. Also look at my name and sig. Yeah I know. I also own 30 systems. In fact was playing some TurboGrafx 16 this morning.

Phil spencer just tweeted in a reaction we will know more from official Xbox "soon"

Twitter @CyberMalistix