By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Open worlds should try this.

Yes, I agree. 36 36.36%

No, I don't have time for that. 23 23.23%

Both options would be cool. 40 40.40%

Total:99

Most of the "no marker" sidequests in BotW that I remember are largely collectathons; find enough wood to buy a home, find weapons to show to a kid, find ten lizards to trade for some armor, find five frogs to show to a kid, find various torches around town to light, find ten pieces of flint, etc. I feel like these quests are basically equivalent to something like the hide n' go seek quest in Witcher 3, or asking of importance in a city for information in Fallout. I don't really care so much about whether these quests have an area of effect or not, because there's not much of a sense of discovery for just collecting a certain amount of something that's generally at least relatively common.

On the odd occasion that BotW does hand out a sidequest that's more about discovery (I really enjoyed the "hunt a monster to get the ingredients for medicine" sidequest, for example), I think it works pretty well, and I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented on a larger scale in a potential sequel or another open world title. With that said, I suspect implementing quests like these on a much broader scale (i.e. you have to look for something in a very specific area that can only be found by using the clues given to you) would require a sizeable amount of work on the dev's part. Writing hints that are both sufficient without removing all semblance of thought from the process can't be easy.

Around the Network
onionberry said:
pokoko said:

I haven't played Witcher 3 because I didn't like Witcher 2.  Give me a Fallout reference.

fallout 4 uses this. Which is not bad but you don't have to think too much cause it tells you the exact location.

however, fallout 4 has a mission where you need to find some officers using a radio signal, that's the type of gameplay that I want because it gives you a hint but you need to explore.

Quest markers ...?  I'm going to assume you don't mean quest markers.

Or do you mean the whole compass?  I have zero problems with having a compass.  Someone in the wilds should have a compass.  If you mean nearby structures showing up, I love that, because it gives me stuff to explore that I might miss because of hills or mountains.  If you want the compass gone from the base game then I disagree completely.  You can turn the entire HUD off already, and there are mods for removing the compass and/or nearby locations.  If you mean that they should have an option for disabling the compass and/or nearby locations, that would be fine, though I have plenty of options for that already since I play on PC.

Hynad said:
NATO said:

By saying open world games should do something you're implying they generally don't, when the fact that they do dissolves that claim, thus, it's nothing new states that it's something already done and used.

And skyrim has all manner of quests, not all quests are marked on your map, and many sidequests only start when you've explored on your own accord and found an item/npc/location not marked on the map.

You're seeing what you want (as if often the case). If you had read the thread, she specifically mentions that modern games in the same genre as BOTW tend to hold your hand (which is trues, based on most notable example given: Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTA V, Horizon, ...). Most games generally hold your hand and point you in the right direction instead of telling you to find the location by yourself, based on hints and rumors given by NPCs, and the likes. 

You can name all the exceptions you want, and pinpoint the one aspect of certain games that, unlike the rest of their content, wouldn't hold your hand, the point is that Onionberry is asking for more of what she experienced in BOTW. Never does she says this is the only game that ever did that. Just that she enjoys that aspect and hope for more games to embrace that to the same extant. 

Seriously, those downplayers...

whatever you say boss, anyway, hows finding a new gf going?

Love the spin of "this is a nice feature that I wish more games had" into "you've just got a boner for BotW".

I've played a handful of open world games - not non-linear games like SoulsBorne, actual sandbox open worlds. BotW is more than likely not a snowflake, but in accordance to what OP is mentioning specifically - how sidequests are handled - the open world games I've played handled it differently. Of course you could "just go there" without a sidequest, but that's not what OP's talking about.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

NATO said:
Hynad said:

You're seeing what you want (as if often the case). If you had read the thread, she specifically mentions that modern games in the same genre as BOTW tend to hold your hand (which is trues, based on most notable example given: Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTA V, Horizon, ...). Most games generally hold your hand and point you in the right direction instead of telling you to find the location by yourself, based on hints and rumors given by NPCs, and the likes. 

You can name all the exceptions you want, and pinpoint the one aspect of certain games that, unlike the rest of their content, wouldn't hold your hand, the point is that Onionberry is asking for more of what she experienced in BOTW. Never does she says this is the only game that ever did that. Just that she enjoys that aspect and hope for more games to embrace that to the same extant. 

whatever you say boss, anyway, hows finding a new gf going?

What are you on about?

Around the Network
Hynad said:

What are you on about?

If you want to talk about that by all means pm.

Hynad said:
NATO said:

By saying open world games should do something you're implying they generally don't, when the fact that they do dissolves that claim, thus, it's nothing new states that it's something already done and used.

And skyrim has all manner of quests, not all quests are marked on your map, and many sidequests only start when you've explored on your own accord and found an item/npc/location not marked on the map.

You're seeing what you want. If you had read the thread, she specifically mentions that modern games in the same genre as BOTW tend to hold your hand (which is trues, based on most notable example given: Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTA V, Horizon, ...). Most games generally hold your hand and point you in the right direction instead of asking you to find the location by yourself, based on hints and rumors given by NPCs, books, landmarks, etc. 

You can name all the exceptions you want, and pinpoint the one aspect of a certain game that, unlike the rest of its content, wouldn't hold your hand, the point is that onionberry is asking for more of what she experienced in BOTW. Never does she says this is the only game that ever did that. Just that she enjoys that aspect and hope for more games to embrace that to the same extent. 

Like Breath of the Wild, there are plenty of games that either already feature this to some extent. Further more there are even more games that have gameplay modes and  options to play this way if you choose (did you know you can play Horizon without and remove the HUD almost entirely, and not display any side quest markers if you choose) This has been clearly established at this point. There are plenty of games that do embrace this if you want to play this way, it's just that most give the player an option most of the timerather than force you into it.

Seriously, those victim complexes. If you spent half then amount of time playing BotW that you spned being hurt over people not liking it as much as you, you find find yourselves happier.

pokoko said:
onionberry said:

fallout 4 uses this. Which is not bad but you don't have to think too much cause it tells you the exact location.

however, fallout 4 has a mission where you need to find some officers using a radio signal, that's the type of gameplay that I want because it gives you a hint but you need to explore.

Quest markers ...?  I'm going to assume you don't mean quest markers.

Or do you mean the whole compass?  I have zero problems with having a compass.  Someone in the wilds should have a compass.  If you mean nearby structures showing up, I love that, because it gives me stuff to explore that I might miss because of hills or mountains.  If you want the compass gone from the base game then I disagree completely.  You can turn the entire HUD off already, and there are mods for removing the compass and/or nearby locations.  If you mean that they should have an option for disabling the compass and/or nearby locations, that would be fine, though I have plenty of options for that already since I play on PC.

the green thing is the marker, the compass is the gps. you can turn off the entire hud but it would not work because the game is not designed that way, no visual hints. A visual hint would be "this place is at the northeast of this place and there's a giant sign that says APPLE" breath of the wild manage exploration like that, you don't need a compass because you have a map with the names of the locations. When a npc gives you a mission the mission comes with a hint of the place, so you know where to go if you look at the map, but you need to find the location by yourself.

Ka-pi96 said:
Couldn't disagree more. The more time I'm actually playing the game rather than looking guides up online the better...

Fine, if the game plays itself I can in that time play a real game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

potato_hamster said:
Hynad said:

You're seeing what you want. If you had read the thread, she specifically mentions that modern games in the same genre as BOTW tend to hold your hand (which is trues, based on most notable example given: Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTA V, Horizon, ...). Most games generally hold your hand and point you in the right direction instead of asking you to find the location by yourself, based on hints and rumors given by NPCs, books, landmarks, etc. 

You can name all the exceptions you want, and pinpoint the one aspect of a certain game that, unlike the rest of its content, wouldn't hold your hand, the point is that onionberry is asking for more of what she experienced in BOTW. Never does she says this is the only game that ever did that. Just that she enjoys that aspect and hope for more games to embrace that to the same extent. 

Like Breath of the Wild, there are plenty of games that either already feature this to some extent. Further more there are even more games that have gameplay modes and  options to play this way if you choose (did you know you can play Horizon without and remove the HUD almost entirely, and not display any side quest markers if you choose) This has been clearly established at this point. There are plenty of games that do embrace this if you want to play this way, it's just that most give the player an option most of the timerather than force you into it.

Seriously, those victim complexes. If you spent half then amount of time playing BotW that you spned being hurt over people not liking it as much as you, you find find yourselves happier.

That's not what the OP is asking for. She's asking for games that are built around the aspect she points out. 

And I live a happy life, thank you very much. xD