By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Open worlds should try this.

Yes, I agree. 36 36.36%

No, I don't have time for that. 23 23.23%

Both options would be cool. 40 40.40%

Total:99

Assassin's Creed Black Flag has a system somewhat similar to this. You just get a clue, which can lead to a picture on a map. Which ends up being a buried chest. It would generally lead to plans to upgrade your ship. It was a good system.

It's actually quite the shock that it is in an Assassin's Creed title of all open world games.

It's a system that is in some modern games if you look. Admittidly, this is the only one that comes to mind right now. I agree though, it needs to be more common.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
mZuzek said:

If you've played for 80 hours, I find it hard to believe you haven't seen it. Maybe you saw it and just don't know?

I'm pretty methodical in my exploration and I've never used fast travel once (hence the 80 hours). So far I've explored Wasteland, Geruda, Hebra, Tabantha, west side of Ridgeland, Duelling peaks, Lake, and currently exploring Hateno. Still 6 zones I have never set foot in. If it is something similar to what's at the spring of wisdom, then I could not have missed it.

On the beach in the Lake tower zone there is another shrine that has me stumped. Some girl is hugging the key to unlock the shrine. She's not responding to anything, just ignored me.

And there's another one at the north west end of Hebra, east of Hia Miu Shrine, inside the mountain according to the locator. I've searched high and low for 45 minutes yet nothing that even remotely looks like an entrance or an activation plate. No quest for it either.

I love the map system though, easily plonk down an icon for towers, shrines and other stuff. I mapped all the locations for the towers long ago from atop the Gerudo highlands mountain peaks. So awesome to zoom in, mark, set a nice icon on the map to get to later.

Like mZuzek said, it is similar to the spoiler tag thing you said. Now, I'm playing in Spanish (so I don't know exactly which areas you have or haven't explored), but I can tell you haven't explored the main area where you will find it. Also, I get you about the Shrine at Northwest Hebra. I know exactly where it is, but I have no idea how to get to it. And funny enough, I did the same thing as you about the towers (marking them).

@Bolded. Odd. You should try talking to her again. She should tell you she needs something.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

pokoko said:
onionberry said:

Ok I'll give you and example. Remember the witcher 3 and the witcher senses? forget that, and make me look for real clues and visual hints in the enviroment without a red line telling me where to go. It's not just about the location, it's about what you do when you arrive the destination. Just let me do something by myself before completing the quest.

I haven't played Witcher 3 because I didn't like Witcher 2.  Give me a Fallout reference.

fallout 4 uses this. Which is not bad but you don't have to think too much cause it tells you the exact location.

however, fallout 4 has a mission where you need to find some officers using a radio signal, that's the type of gameplay that I want because it gives you a hint but you need to explore.

The elder scroll series has been doing this for years, you can find all sorts of hidden quests just by exploring, it's nothing new.

NATO said:
The elder scroll series has been doing this for years, you can find all sorts of hidden quests just by exploring, it's nothing new.

Nobody says it is.

And Skyrim doesn't do what BOTW does. When you get a quest, the location of your objective is marked on your map. 

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

Assassin's Creed Black Flag has a system somewhat similar to this. You just get a clue, which can lead to a picture on a map. Which ends up being a buried chest. It would generally lead to plans to upgrade your ship. It was a good system.

It's actually quite the shock that it is in an Assassin's Creed title of all open world games.

It's a system that is in some modern games if you look. Admittidly, this is the only one that comes to mind right now. I agree though, it needs to be more common.

true, gta v has the bounty hunter missions where you have a picture of the location and you need to find the dudes. seems like developers try with one mission but not for the entire game, and that's what I want. There are ways to make you explore the game and do missions without a marker.

NATO said:

again, it's not about finding hidden quests, if you play breath of the wild the NPCs give you quests and then when you have the quest you need to explore and look for visual hints to complete the quest.

Hynad said:
NATO said:

Nobody says it is.

And Skyrim doesn't do what BOTW does. When you get a quest, the location of your objective is marked on your map. 

By saying open world games should do something you're implying they generally don't, when the fact that they do dissolves that claim, thus, it's nothing new states that it's something already done and used.

And skyrim has all manner of quests, not all quests are marked on your map, and many sidequests only start when you've explored on your own accord and found an item/npc/location not marked on the map that initiates the quest, with lots of quest elements not being specifically outlined or marked, and left up to the player to figure out.

onionberry said:
NATO said:

again, it's not about finding hidden quests, if you play breath of the wild the NPCs give you quests and then when you have the quest you need to explore and look for visual hints to complete the quest.

Still something that's been done in plenty of other games, like I said.

Be it a request to kill an enemy without telling you where it is, issuing a demand for items without telling you where or how to get them, or a quest line stating a particular location or event will allow the quest to continue without being specific, it's been done before plenty of times, and many games include it in combination with guided quests and exploration encounter quests.

NATO said:
Hynad said:

Nobody says it is.

By saying open world games should do something you're implying they generally don't, when the fact that they do dissolves that claim, thus, it's nothing new states that it's something already done and used.

And skyrim has all manner of quests, not all quests are marked on your map, and many sidequests only start when you've explored on your own accord and found an item/npc/location not marked on the map that initiates the quest, with lots of quest elements not being specifically outlined or marked, and left up to the player to figure out.

onionberry said:

Still something that's been done in plenty of other games, like I said.

Be it a request to kill an enemy without telling you where it is, issuing a demand for items without telling you where or how to get them, or a quest line stating a particular location or event will allow the quest to continue without being specific, it's been done before plenty of times, and many games include it in combination with guided quests and exploration encounter quests.

Not many games, sorry but no. I have been playing open world games all my life, there's some sort of marker even if there are quests without it. When I say "open world should try this" I'm not saying that breath of the wild is the first with these type of quests, however, it's a game where there are no markers at all. There are markers that you can use and you can put AFTER you explore the location (if you want) but the game doesn't give you any hint of what you're going to find, you need to find the location, find the side quests and figure out how to do the side quests (every side quest). When I say open world should try this, I mean the entire system like breath of the wild, not some quests or some missions.

NATO said:
Hynad said:

Nobody says it is.

And skyrim has all manner of quests, not all quests are marked on your map, and many sidequests only start when you've explored on your own accord and found an item/npc/location not marked on the map.

You're seeing what you want. If you had read the thread, she specifically mentions that modern games in the same genre as BOTW tend to hold your hand (which is trues, based on most notable example given: Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTA V, Horizon, ...). Most games generally hold your hand and point you in the right direction instead of asking you to find the location by yourself, based on hints and rumors given by NPCs, books, landmarks, etc. 

You can name all the exceptions you want, and pinpoint the one aspect of a certain game that, unlike the rest of its content, wouldn't hold your hand, the point is that onionberry is asking for more of what she experienced in BOTW. Never does she says this is the only game that ever did that. Just that she enjoys that aspect and hope for more games to embrace that to the same extent. 

Seriously, those downplayers...