By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Open worlds should try this.

Yes, I agree. 36 36.36%

No, I don't have time for that. 23 23.23%

Both options would be cool. 40 40.40%

Total:99
Hynad said:
potato_hamster said:

Like Breath of the Wild, there are plenty of games that either already feature this to some extent. Further more there are even more games that have gameplay modes and  options to play this way if you choose (did you know you can play Horizon without and remove the HUD almost entirely, and not display any side quest markers if you choose) This has been clearly established at this point. There are plenty of games that do embrace this if you want to play this way, it's just that most give the player an option most of the timerather than force you into it.

Seriously, those victim complexes. If you spent half then amount of time playing BotW that you spned being hurt over people not liking it as much as you, you find find yourselves happier.

That's not what the OP is asking for. She's asking for games that are built around the aspect she points out. 

And I live a happy life, thank you very much. xD

it's a game that must be played to understand.

Around the Network

I think what a lot of you guys are missing is that while some games give obscurity as an option, the majority of quests are not designed for it. In Breath of the Wild many quests are like puzzles. You look at the vague quest details, and then you have to think about the world surrounding you. It is possible that one little thing you were confused about as you passed it before was a lead. You go investigate that lead, and it turns out it is for something else. Then you think again, what can this quest be talking about? And rinse and repeat. You have these types of quests at different scales too. Some are solved in the immediate area, while others are large scale quests throughout the world. 

Vaguish Spoiler Example below: 

For an example, there is a character in the game who is a bard. You can talk to him near his home town, and he tells you that he isn't going to go back home to his family until he learns all of the secret songs of Hyrule. There is no quest notice that tells you that this will lead to something cool, but you know it will. So then you eventually connect this idea that he needs to learn songs from all over Hyrule with a long non-linear chain of quests that this bard gives to you elsewhere. You find the same bard in another location in the world, and he gives you hints of all of the locations where you can find him and where he'll learn the song. He doesn't outright name these locations, but he describes them. There are multiple rewards you recieve for each of the quests he provides. When you finish all of the quests, you can finally find him in his home town, and if you speak with him at night time, he tells you an awesome story that is related the main story of the game and Princess Zelda. After all of that work you are rewarded for using the small mysterious connections to find the bard in different locations, complete his quests (which are riddles in themselves), you are rewarded with items when you complete these quests, and finally - at the end of all of it he tells you something relevant to the main story of the game, which you can't find anywhere else. Some other games do stuff like this, but most don't. The moment you talked that that bard, in most games, they would just put location markers on the map where you can find him. Almost every side-quest in Breath of the Wild is like this one, unlike other games which do it every once in a while. 

sc94597 said:

I think what a lot of you guys are missing is that while some games give obscurity as an option, the majority of quests are not designed for it. In Breath of the Wild many quests are like puzzles. You look at the vague quest details, and then you have to think about the world surrounding you. It is possible that one little thing you were confused about as you passed it before was a lead. You go investigate that lead, and it turns out it is for something else. Then you think again, what can this quest be talking about? And rinse and repeat. You have these types of quests at different scales too. Some are solved in the immediate area, while others are large scale world quests. 

Vague Spoiler Example below: 

For an example, there is a character in the game who is a bard. You can talk to him near his home town, and he tells you that he isn't going to go back home to his family until he learns all of the secret songs of Hyrule. There is no quest notice that tells you that this will lead to something cool, but you know it will. So then you eventually connect this idea that he needs to learn songs from all over Hyrule with a long non-linear chain of quests that this bard gives to you elsewhere. You find the same bard in another location in the world, and he gives you hints of all of the locations where you can find him and where he'll learn the song. He doesn't outright name these locations, but he describes them. There are multiple rewards you recieve for each of the quests he provides. When you finish all of the quests, you can finally find him in his home town, and if you speak with him at night time, he tells you an awesome story that is related the main story of the game and Princess Zelda. After all of that work you are rewarded for using the small mysterious connections to find the bard in different locations, complete his quests (which are riddles in themselves), you are rewarded with items when you complete these quests, and finally - at the end of all of it he tells you something relevant to the main story of the game, which you can't find anywhere else. Some other games do stuff like this, but most don't. The moment you talked that that bard, in most games, they would just put location markers on the map where you can find him. Almost every side-quest in Breath of the Wild is like this one, unlike other games which do it every once in a while. 

thanks <3

I'll say it again. The Witness. The Witness is an entire game about this exact thing.

Try it out. You might enjoy it. Have a good night.

potato_hamster said:
I'll say it again. The Witness. The Witness is an entire game about this exact thing.

That's not in the same genre or even similar to BOTW. So, again, that's not what the OP is after.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

While it's a fantastic game, the witness doesn't follow the modern open world formula, I'm talking about games that follow the modern open world formula and what aspect of breath of the wild I want on those games because it could enhance the experience. And you have to admit that the modern trend is not the game design of the witness or breath of the wild, that's the point of the thread. good night.

onionberry said:

the green thing is the marker, the compass is the gps. you can turn off the entire hud but it would not work because the game is not designed that way, no visual hints. A visual hint would be "this place is at the northeast of this place and there's a giant sign that says APPLE" breath of the wild manage exploration like that, you don't need a compass because you have a map with the names of the locations. When a npc gives you a mission the mission comes with a hint of the place, so you know where to go if you look at the map, but you need to find the location by yourself.

No offense but, honestly, I don't much see the need in other games removing options.  

In the image you posted from Fallout 4, you can remove the quest marker just by clicking on the quest.  Then you can look on the map if you want to know the direction or you can ignore the map completely.  

This works for most quests but not all, which is a good thing.  The best games will have many types of quests and I don't want that to change, especially when some games have a lot more structural complexity than others.  

Let Zelda do things its way and other games can do things their way.  No need to merge everything together.  The "hand-holding" thing some people complain about isn't usually a much of an issue because most games let you ignore that if you want.  I do all the time.

Ka-pi96 said:

Well excuse me for not wanting to figure things out when I could be doing much more entertaining things such as killing bad guys, getting new equipment, finding out what happens next in the story etc.

Leave games like Zelda behind and concentrate on hack & slash games like Diablo. Your brain is barely solicited in that type of games.

pokoko said:
onionberry said:

the green thing is the marker, the compass is the gps. you can turn off the entire hud but it would not work because the game is not designed that way, no visual hints. A visual hint would be "this place is at the northeast of this place and there's a giant sign that says APPLE" breath of the wild manage exploration like that, you don't need a compass because you have a map with the names of the locations. When a npc gives you a mission the mission comes with a hint of the place, so you know where to go if you look at the map, but you need to find the location by yourself.

No offense but, honestly, I don't much see the need in other games removing options.  

In the image you posted from Fallout 4, you can remove the quest marker just by clicking on the quest.  Then you can look on the map if you want to know the direction or you can ignore the map completely.  

This works for most quests but not all, which is a good thing.  The best games will have many types of quests and I don't want that to change, especially when some games have a lot more structural complexity than others.  

Let Zelda do things its way and other games can do things their way.  No need to merge everything together.  The "hand-holding" thing some people complain about isn't usually a much of an issue because most games let you ignore that if you want.  I do all the time.

not every open world should be like this, but some open world should try. Not exactly like zelda, but a new way to explore without the hand holding. for example, bethesda is ok with their formula, but let's say a franchise like Assassin's Creed. there are hundreds if not thousands of icons on the map destroying the sense of discovery because you know what are you going to find and the game tells you how to get there. It's not a zelda thing, it's a game design thing that should be embraced by more developers.

Ka-pi96 said:
mZuzek said:

If you think figuring things out doesn't count as "actually playing the game", that's a sad notion of gameplay you have.

Well excuse me for not wanting to stand around "figuring things out" when I could be doing much more entertaining things such as killing bad guys, getting new equipment, finding out what happens next in the story etc.

Yeah, I mean, I'm sure that works for the type of game Zelda is but a lot of other games have their own vibe and their own style and they also might have a large variety of quest types.  Fallout 4 had puzzle solving, like where you had to figure out the secret behind Covenant and the location of the complex, or you had to track the Courser with the radio signal, but it also had quests where you just wanted to have fun cutting down a bunch of Raiders.

I don't want everything to follow one formula.