By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Open worlds should try this.

Yes, I agree. 36 36.36%

No, I don't have time for that. 23 23.23%

Both options would be cool. 40 40.40%

Total:99
potato_hamster said:
onionberry said:

dude, you're the one who has a problem with people making threads about breath of the wild. I was arguing because I thought you were serious, then I said mention games with the same system, then you mention 3 or 4 games that don't have a system like breath of the wild arguing and saying "there are hundreds of games" with the system and mocking people who make threads about breath of the wild. You're here because you don't like threads about how influential this game could be, not because you have something to say.

You're not arguing. I pointed out plenty of examples of games that feature very similar if not identical systems and you've completely ignored them or dismissed them for essentially not being close enough to Breath of the Wild in your eyes. Do you realize how broad of a term "open world game" is?

There's only so much dismissing you can do before others begin to suspect that you're more interested in trying to point out how special Breath of the Wild is than you're interested in whether other games are actually doing this already.

so let's say that everything you said is true (it's not true) what's the problem if I think Breath of the wild is special and other games should do this? still nothing malicious about this thread if that was the case.

Around the Network
Jicale said:
Rings of Power has that approach towards it's quests. The game throws you into a spherical map so there's no borders, you get a few hints and the rest is completely up to you. Since this is an very early 90's megadrive game, I'd love to see this remade one day.

We could all mention old games that did that. Like, you know, the original The Legend of Zelda. But she may not be into retro gaming, and she is asking for modern titles. But it is true that most modern open world games in the same genre as BOTW take a handholding approach. Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTAV and Horizon are all good examples of that.

onionberry said:
pokoko said:
Both Skyrim and Fallout 4 had quests that would show a region but when you got there, the markers would disappear and you'd have to search on your own. Some of the Cappy quests in Nuka World were so frustrating that I had to look for videos.

Skyrim had quests that were started by picking up an object but with no location given. I had to look one of them up because having that item in my inventory was driving me crazy. I remember a quest where you could buy an item from a trader, though they had no idea where it was used, but you could also hear a rumor that showed you the location of the dungeon--you just had to put the two clues together yourself.

Both games also had many unmarked quests, where nothing shows up in your quest-log at all. You just stumble over them. I like those a lot, though I'm sure someone is going to tell me that Breath of the Wild invented them.

Games that mix the elements make the most sense. MOST quests should tell you where to go because, otherwise, it's kind of silly for quest-givers not to know the details of their problem.

That's not what I'm talking about, on both fallout 4 and skyrim if you speak to the right person that person is going to tell you where you need to go. Yeah a lot of time happened to me too, I found an Item and I didn't know what to do until later on the game where some npc told me "hey, do you have this stuff, or do you know that you can find that other stuff at some camp" instantly saying that my mission was completed cause I had the item already. It's the structure when you already have the mission in the mission menu. On Fallout 4 I know I have to go to Diamond city, but I don't need to know the exact location, just tell me it's south east and looks like baseball park, I don't wanna get lost I wanna try and find the place by myself without a gps telling me the exact location.

On breath of the wild you have the location of the main quests from the beginning, when you acquire the map of a new region it tells you the names of the zones inside those regions, there's where you go to explore to find side quests and the npc gives you a hint or a location near the quest and then you need to figure out what to do when you're there. Not just go and find the item at this place or kill the monster at this place, you need to solve how to get there even when they tell you the location. That adds a sense of discovery and you feel like you're doing more than just a quest for video game points.

You mean normal quests, just with no map marker?  I don't really understand.  You can just decline to navigate by the map with any game, can't you?  I mean, so what if it shows the location of the city/town/fortress on the over-map?  Isn't that what maps are for?  I'm kind of confused about what you're saying.  

To be honest, I don't really get the complaints about "hand holding".  When I play an open world game, the first thing I do is go exploring.  By the time I get around to quests, I've usually already been to the target area.  Complaining about hand holding is kind of like someone complaining about tour guides while following along behind a tour guide.  If you don't like it, go out on your own.

onionberry said:
SvennoJ said:

I remember a little game called Everquest. No in game map. No ! to indicate npc even have a quest. You 'gasp' had to actually type sentences to them and maybe they would give you a hint of a quest, then figure out where to go and what to do. It had unbreakable weapons too which did not break the game. It was much harder than anything else I've ever played. Everything is holding your hand compared to that. But I guess it doesn't count as open world as it loads zones...

everquests is a game from 1999, I could mention the first legend of zelda and other games, but I'm not doing that because I'm talking about the current open world formula which is based on markers and a gps.

Yes, placing markers on distant objects to get to is awesome.
And true that would not work in EQ as it didn't have the draw distance in 1999.

I would have preffered the game to reveal the map gradually based on where you have been instead of map towers. Sure finding and climing the towers is rewarding and well done, but it leaves me wanting to explore one zone at a time for fear I might miss something as there's no easy way to see where you've been.

onionberry said:
potato_hamster said:

You're not arguing. I pointed out plenty of examples of games that feature very similar if not identical systems and you've completely ignored them or dismissed them for essentially not being close enough to Breath of the Wild in your eyes. Do you realize how broad of a term "open world game" is?

There's only so much dismissing you can do before others begin to suspect that you're more interested in trying to point out how special Breath of the Wild is than you're interested in whether other games are actually doing this already.

so let's say that everything you said is true (it's not true) what's the problem if I think Breath of the wild is special and other games should do this? still nothing malicious about this thread if that was the case.

DId I say it was malicious? Not sure why you're putting words in my mouth. Besides, if there's nothing wrong with making threads about how special BotW is, why are you getting so offended that someone pointed out that's what you're doing?

Around the Network
pokoko said:
onionberry said:

That's not what I'm talking about, on both fallout 4 and skyrim if you speak to the right person that person is going to tell you where you need to go. Yeah a lot of time happened to me too, I found an Item and I didn't know what to do until later on the game where some npc told me "hey, do you have this stuff, or do you know that you can find that other stuff at some camp" instantly saying that my mission was completed cause I had the item already. It's the structure when you already have the mission in the mission menu. On Fallout 4 I know I have to go to Diamond city, but I don't need to know the exact location, just tell me it's south east and looks like baseball park, I don't wanna get lost I wanna try and find the place by myself without a gps telling me the exact location.

On breath of the wild you have the location of the main quests from the beginning, when you acquire the map of a new region it tells you the names of the zones inside those regions, there's where you go to explore to find side quests and the npc gives you a hint or a location near the quest and then you need to figure out what to do when you're there. Not just go and find the item at this place or kill the monster at this place, you need to solve how to get there even when they tell you the location. That adds a sense of discovery and you feel like you're doing more than just a quest for video game points.

You mean normal quests, just with no map marker?  I don't really understand.  You can just decline to navigate by the map with any game, can't you?  I mean, so what if it shows the location of the city/town/fortress on the over-map?  Isn't that what maps are for?  I'm kind of confused about what you're saying.  

To be honest, I don't really get the complaints about "hand holding".  When I play an open world game, the first thing I do is go exploring.  By the time I get around to quests, I've usually already been to the target area.  Complaining about hand holding is kind of like someone complaining about tour guides while following along behind a tour guide.  If you don't like it, go out on your own.

Ok I'll give you an example. Remember the witcher 3 and the witcher senses? forget that, and make me look for real clues and visual hints in the enviroment without a red line telling me where to go. It's not just about the location, it's about what you do when you arrive the destination. Just let me do something by myself before completing the quest.

mZuzek said:
SvennoJ said:

I'm pretty methodical in my exploration and I've never used fast travel once (hence the 80 hours). So far I've explored Wasteland, Geruda, Hebra, Tabantha, west side of Ridgeland, Duelling peaks, Lake, and currently exploring Hateno. Still 6 zones I have never set foot in. If it is something similar to what's at the spring of wisdom, then I could not have missed it.

On the beach in the Lake tower zone there is another shrine that has me stumped. Some girl is hugging the key to unlock the shrine. She's not responding to anything, just ignored me.

And there's another one at the north west end of Hebra, east of Hia Miu Shrine, inside the mountain according to the locator. I've searched high and low for 45 minutes yet nothing that even remotely looks like an entrance or an activation plate. No quest for it either.

I love the map system though, easily plonk down an icon for towers, shrines and other stuff. I mapped all the locations for the towers long ago from atop the Gerudo highlands mountain peaks. So awesome to zoom in, mark, set a nice icon on the map to get to later.

It is something similar to *spoiler tag*, although you don't have to "activate" it. It appears very often near Lake Hylia, so if you've explored there I'm quite surprised you didn't see it.

About the shrines, I don't remember the lake one, but yeah, Hebra is borderline bullshit sometimes. That one at the northwest infuriated me way too much, actually. I'll just say if you look on your map, there is a tiny pond about southwest of the mountain it says the shrine is in - the entrance is around there.

Thanks, marked it on the map :)
I've been around Lake Hylia for a few in game days, either unlucky, blind, or needed to do something else first. I'll be back.

potato_hamster said:
onionberry said:

DId I say it was malicious? Not sure why you're putting words in my mouth. Besides, if there's nothing wrong with making threads about how special BotW is, why are you getting so offended that someone pointed out that's what you're doing?

I'm not offended, I don't even care. I thought you were offended since you're the one saying that I made this thread  to mention "look guys, this game is so special" and not because I really want this kind of gameplay on modern open worlds.

onionberry said:
pokoko said:

Ok I'll give you and example. Remember the witcher 3 and the witcher senses? forget that, and make me look for real clues and visual hints in the enviroment without a red line telling me where to go. It's not just about the location, it's about what you do when you arrive the destination. Just let me do something by myself before completing the quest.

I haven't played Witcher 3 because I didn't like Witcher 2.  Give me a Fallout reference.

onionberry said:
potato_hamster said:

I'm not offended, I don't even care. I thought you were offended since you're the one saying that I made this thread  to mention "look guys, this game is so special" and not because I really want this kind of gameplay on modern open worlds.

This gameplay already exists in other "modern open worlds". I've pointed out many examples, and you've come up with nonsensical reasons why those games don't count. That why it seems to me like you're not nearly as interested in seeing this feature in other games as you're trying to let on.