By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Open worlds should try this.

Yes, I agree. 36 36.36%

No, I don't have time for that. 23 23.23%

Both options would be cool. 40 40.40%

Total:99
Mnementh said:
SvennoJ said:

Not every sidequest. For example I'm stumped on having to offer Farosh's scale after finding a hidden shrine. No hint, no one to ask. Usually it's around the area yet nothing. There are a lot of fetch quests too, yet those are just filler anyway. And I still have no clue how to find memories after 80 hours, stumbled on 2 so far.

For memories: This guy that turns up practically everythere where are beds and creates paintings, he can tell you about the photos saved on your device. You can approach him and he tells you something about that photo, where it is. Still not easy to make out the location, but radically reduces the search-area.

Ah! I only upgraded the sheika slate last night. I was wondering how to find the locations of some of the less familiar looking photos. I guess something or someone is there when you get to the spot the picture was taken?

I was trying to get the sensor to show me where to find korok seeds by taking a picture of them, bah doesn't register! I always wonder if I miss one in a forest as they sometimes hide in a tree.  I've found 150 so far, ~35% of the map explored, out of 900 total, so must be missing about half of them.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

When I was looking for memories I would look at features in the pictures and guess the general region of hyrule that the picture likely was taken place in. For example, one of the pictures has hyrule castle and a certain flying object, which tells you the angle it was taken and the general direction. The next time I was in that vicinity I used my map and walking around to guess where it is add based on the angle. Hunting memories was fun, because it felt natural, as if I were trying to find a location based on a picture using landmarks, but in real life. Some of the memories gave very few clues, but there are NPC's which lead you in the right direction for those ones, usually after you finished a different side-quest. 

Orienteering. Can't think of a game that does it to this extent. Amazing how enticing a marker on a map is when you're the one who put it there.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

SvennoJ said:
Mnementh said:

For memories: This guy that turns up practically everythere where are beds and creates paintings, he can tell you about the photos saved on your device. You can approach him and he tells you something about that photo, where it is. Still not easy to make out the location, but radically reduces the search-area.

Ah! I only upgraded the sheika slate last night. I was wondering how to find the locations of some of the less familiar looking photos. I guess something or someone is there when you get to the spot the picture was taken? Yes.

I was trying to get the sensor to show me where to find korok seeds by taking a picture of them, bah doesn't register! I always wonder if I miss one in a forest as they sometimes hide in a tree.  I've found 150 so far, ~35% of the map explored, out of 900 total, so must be missing about half of them.

Do you know who Farosh is?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

onionberry said:
potato_hamster said:

Well, when you're just excluding every other example of similar systems because its not exactly like Breath of the Wild it becomes much easier to make it sound more special than it actually is. There have been dozens of games dating back to the 80's where side quests involve talking to someone and then trying to figure out how to do what they're asking for with no further clues all on your own. As many have said, a step by step guide through every single quest is a relatively new phenomena in video games.

that's why the title says "open world should try this" I'm saying that OPEN WORLDS should try this. I'm not saying that breath of the wild invented this, but the hand holding on modern open worlds is a fact.

If only Nintendo was even close to the first to "try this" in an open world game, maybe, just maybe you'd have a point. But then again, you just keep whittling away at your definition of "open world" so it doesn't count most games that have similar systems.

potato_hamster said:
onionberry said:

that's why the title says "open world should try this" I'm saying that OPEN WORLDS should try this. I'm not saying that breath of the wild invented this, but the hand holding on modern open worlds is a fact.

If only Nintendo was even close to the first to "try this" in an open world game, maybe, just maybe you'd have a point. But then again, you just keep whittling away at your definition of "open world" so it doesn't count most games that have similar systems.

Just mention an open world game with the same system, that's the only thing you need to do. Even if you mention a game or two games I would feel the same thing, "open worlds should try this" 

Basically every open world that I've played since fallout 3 has the system where you have a quest and the quest shows right there on the map with the exact location. Mention open world games with the same system on breath of the wild and I will say thanks couse I want more of that.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

what?  First of all don't lump PS and Xbox together.  Second of all Sony has had games like Resistance 3 and GoW which got rid of health packs and 2 weapon limits and such.  Also also what do collectibles and trophies have to do with difficulty?  If anything trophies have made me challenge myself more!  Hell Sony even published Demon's Souls which kicked off the hardest modern gaming blockbuster (and also published bloodborne)

There are always exceptions, but the 7th gen really kicked off the casual hardcore gaming scene for real. Collectibles, trophies and achievements have very little value from a game design perspective are often used as padding in games with poor writing, slouchy pacing or lacking core content.

One of my all time favorite action movies is from the early 2000's (Bourne Identity), but this is also around the time when almost all action movies started to want to become "smart", foregoing a lot of action, so despite the exception, it still marks the beginning of trends I don't really appreciate.

I definitely don't see the trophy connection.  Can't imagine those take long to program in and I never would have tried many hard modes if they weren't there.  It does make things more inclusive to have easier games, but there's an easy way around that.  It's called difficulty settings.  Then with trophies you can show if you're proud of beating a hard mode of a game as opposed to some people who just would beat the easy mode and not have the trophies.

I am Iron Man

onionberry said:
potato_hamster said:

Just mention an open world game with the same system, that's the only thing you need to do. Even if you mention a game or two games I would feel the same thing, "open worlds should try this" 

Basically every open world that I've played since fallout 3 has the system where you have a quest and the quest shows right there on the map with the exact location. Mention open world games with the same system on breath of the wild and I will say thanks couse I want more of that.

Off of the top of my head: The Witness doesn't tell you what to do or where to do it ever. It doesn't even have a map of any kind unless you're using the boat. You just have to remember where you've been and where you might have been. There's also games like Myst which like The Witness, don't really feature side quests, but also don't tell the player much of anything and figuring out what to do is the entire game.

All of the Demon's Souls/Dark/Bloodborne games do this, and you just dismissed them as "not open world enough for you". So to the Elder scrolls series to varying degrees, but you've seen to gloss over them because you've only played Skyrim which has the most hand holding and visual cues of the entire series. There's also dozens of point and click games that do that same, but again, I'm sure you wouldn't call them open world.  There are the dozens if not hundreds of MMOs like Eve: Online who do this exact thing, but once again I get an itching feeling you won't count those. 

Then there's all of those games that have options or gameplay modes that remove/limt all HUD and map elements forcing players to figure things out on their own like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Hitman: Revolution.

I'm not even going to bother to get into more obscure titles.

The point is, this has been done hundreds of different times in dozens of different ways, and this thread just comes off as yet another "look how totally special Breath of the Wild is guys!" thread.

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Mummelmann said:

There are always exceptions, but the 7th gen really kicked off the casual hardcore gaming scene for real. Collectibles, trophies and achievements have very little value from a game design perspective are often used as padding in games with poor writing, slouchy pacing or lacking core content.

One of my all time favorite action movies is from the early 2000's (Bourne Identity), but this is also around the time when almost all action movies started to want to become "smart", foregoing a lot of action, so despite the exception, it still marks the beginning of trends I don't really appreciate.

I definitely don't see the trophy connection.  Can't imagine those take long to program in and I never would have tried many hard modes if they weren't there.  It does make things more inclusive to have easier games, but there's an easy way around that.  It's called difficulty settings.  Then with trophies you can show if you're proud of beating a hard mode of a game as opposed to some people who just would beat the easy mode and not have the trophies.

They aren't much work. In my expereince an intern does them in a couple weeks. In fact it was one of my first tasks on the very first games I worked on during my first video game-related internship.

potato_hamster said:
onionberry said:

"look how totally special Breath of the Wild is guys!" thread.

lol I found the problem here. wasted time.

Plust thanks for mentioning "tons" of games that DON"T have the side quests sytem of breath of the wild, that's what happens when you don't play a game but wanna argue. take care.

Pyro as Bill said:
SvennoJ said:

Ah! I only upgraded the sheika slate last night. I was wondering how to find the locations of some of the less familiar looking photos. I guess something or someone is there when you get to the spot the picture was taken? Yes.

Do you know who Farosh is?

No. First I thought it was some kind of fish since at the lake nearby there's this Zora that's fishing for rare fish. That resulted in nothing. Now I've met something a little bit bigger on a mountain top in the next zone over, so I'm guessing it's one of those. Still no clue where to look though. I guess I'll run into it some time.