By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Nintendo Switch will sell less than the Wii U...

Will it sell less than the Wii U?

Yes. This thing is looking to be a flop 133 17.85%

No, but it'll still sell like shit 229 30.74%

No, it'll sell very well... 323 43.36%

It'll outsell the PS4 an... 60 8.05%

Total:745
bananaking21 said:
with a pokemon and animal crossing game releasing i doubt it will sell less then the WiiU. i dont think you understand how incredibly low the WiiU sold. i still think it will sell horribly oustide of japan.

I'm with you on this. The presentation showed a solid case forJapan, but the western support feels weak.

Still, I'm on board as long Capcom gives me my freaking Monster Hunter. Come on Capcom, why do you make Street Fighter for the Switch but no Monster Hunter?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

O_O seriously!? I wasn't expecting much but now I'm super excited!!

Switch has so many features that makes it almost impossible to fail, it's also revolutionary in terms of gameplay, feels like an actual Wii2, not joking, this has the potential to sell as good as Wii

and most importantly, I'm so happy the so confirmed rumors turned out not real after all

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Unless there is a true handheld successor to the 3DS around the corner then there is no way the Switch will sell less than the Wii U. I'd be completely surprised if it didn't at the very least double the Wii U.

Of course, that being said, the expectations for success have to be much higher, as well. Double the Wii U would be a dismal failure. It's going to have to sell enough software to make up for two systems, not one.

Intrinsic said:
Sme people think this thing will sell up to 40M???

I see it selling better than the wiiU, but only cause 13M is an easy hurdle to scale. It won't do better than 30M though....

And anyone that thinks it will, I really want to know what their reasons are... besides it just being nintendo that is.

too expensive to be a handheld or even a home console. Will have limited support as always so it won't succeeed as a home console, expensive accessories and again too expensive which means its priced itself out of the impulse buy handheld market.

Very weak software lineup for the first year, and yes.....software sells hardware. So after mario kart, splatoon, zelda new mario is released for it (which remember all did 13M worth of good for the wiiU) what next, no 3rd party games to fill in the gaps.... you just wait for the next iteration of those games again. Its like the wiiU all over again.

I disagree completely with weak software lineup.

While third party is somewhat decent, at least much better than the Wii U had, nintendo first party offering for the first year is really good.It may not have an obscene ammount of first party games, but the ones it has are high quality.Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles 2,Mario Kart 8 are all but certain to be excellent games.And there is Fire Emblem warriors and ARMS, both of which holds promise.And thats not inclusing the small projects, like the puzzle game with a complicated names, which are neat additions.Sincerely, this 9 months(not even a year) looks much better than the 3DS and Wii U, and to be quite honest, its the best first year in a LONG while, and thats probably not the whole story, since nintendo is probably holding stuff the show that will still release this year, since we saw that there is already a Direct comming and E3 is not far off the Switchs launch.And lets not fool ourselves, XOne and PS4 offering in the first year was mediocre at best, especially since the first party games were not good with some exceptions and most third party games were cross gens.

Switch has a good concept, the price is not bad, and has the software.It just needs to get it right with the marketing.Nintendo needs to market this product hard.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Zelda alone is gonna push this game a lot when it launches. After that, it gets Arms and Mario Kart 8 which will help the momentum keep up. After that, we get Splatoon 2 which is gonna be HUGE especially in Japan. After that, we get Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Warriors and Super Mario Odyssey, which will all help momentum as well as boost it a lot. There is no way Odyssey will sell lower than Sunshine at this point. Plus, not to mention Dragon Quest games as well as Tales Of games will be arriving, as well as Sonic 2017 and Shin Megami Tensei V. We get third party and indie games like Rime and Redout, not to mention all the other ones that have yet to be announced. I guarantee Ubisoft will be putting their next Assassin's Creed on the Switch. After that, we have 2018, which I am 100% positive they will keep up momentum. Super Mario Maker and Pokken are obvious ports, we also still have Pikmin 4 which has been confirmed. Those three right there would make for a solid Q1 of 2018. Either way, this system will definitely sell more than the Wii U. WAY more.

AND I forgot to mention Pokemon. Gamefreak confirmed they will be bringing the games to the Switch. Pokemon will probably end up being 2018. Holiday at the latest. Pokemon alone will make the Switch sell more than the Wii U. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

I was predicting 40m but that might be generous. Now I'm thinking that it could be 25m at best.

i'm not sure really where to place it.

internet nintendo fans are quick to state that this is both a console and a mobile console. they say that nintendo combined their software teams and that all of their developers are working on switch. they say this is a replacement for wiiU and 3DS owners.

i'm not so sure the rest of the world sees it that way. nintendo is marketing this as a home console. not so sure all those 3DS owner dismiss that and think of it as nintendo's 3DS replacement.

i do feel very confident that this will sell waaaay less than wiiU + 3DS. no way this hits 75 million. 14 million isn't that high of a bar though so it would be hard for me to best against switch clearing that hurdle.

I kinda hope the Switch fails so Nintendo will really take it to heart...without Iwata's involvement. I love Iwata, but dude seemed to have a one tracked mind in terms of "innovation". Time for the youngins to take over.

It has a bunch of portable RPGs including SMT. Likely Monster hunter. No way. This thing at the very least is a hit in Japan. Then there are these games called Splatoon (5 million on Wii U) Zelda and the most ambitious Zelda ever. Oh and a little series called Pokemon. This thing will sell better than Wii U easily

Let's say that I wouldn't be shocked if this happened. Nintendo proved that they are completely out of touch.