By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Nintendo Switch will sell less than the Wii U...

Will it sell less than the Wii U?

Yes. This thing is looking to be a flop 133 17.85%

No, but it'll still sell like shit 229 30.74%

No, it'll sell very well... 323 43.36%

It'll outsell the PS4 an... 60 8.05%

Total:745
barneystinson69 said:
Nautilus said:

I wasnt around here nor I accompanied news as much as today, so I cant attest to that, but if you compare everything leading to the launch betwenn the Wii U and the Switch, the Switch kicks Wii U ass in almost every category.Games?The games announced so far for the Switch are probably better than what the Wii U had the first two years.The concept behind the Switch is much cooler and better than the Wii U(I think we can all agree to that).There is no confusion over the product.The marketing seems to be nailing everything.Nintendo has the mobile games to help market the system and its games.Support seems(and I stress seems) better than the Wii U and even the 3DS,and so on.

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games_(US)

That was on launch day. Are you telling me this console with its 3-5 games is better?

And the concept is cooler. I get Nintendo wants to do their own thing, but they're handicapping the console in terms of power, and the price is too high, plus all the other crap. I can't believe some think this'll sell 40 million...

And from that list, how many games do you look and think "Man, I really got to have that title!"80% of them are ports of "old" games for the time, that also were cheaper in other systems(and part of that percentage were also the games that were most worthy wasting money on), the other 10% were shovelware and last 10% were Nintendo games, but none of them were especially great, with the exception of the New Super Mario Bros U, but even then it was a game that did nothing new and thus hadnt got much appeal.

While the Switch seems that it will have less games, Zelda alone is far more attractive than that list.Its a new game, its exclusive, it is doing something new and refreshing, and its a really hyped game.Personally I think its a better deal than having a bazillion lower quality games.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
bananaking21 said:
with a pokemon and animal crossing game releasing i doubt it will sell less then the WiiU. i dont think you understand how incredibly low the WiiU sold. i still think it will sell horribly oustide of japan.

I'm with you on this. The presentation showed a solid case forJapan, but the western support feels weak.

Still, I'm on board as long Capcom gives me my freaking Monster Hunter. Come on Capcom, why do you make Street Fighter for the Switch but no Monster Hunter?

You are probably not going to see Monster Hunter until next year.I mean, XX is launching on march, so....

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Nautilus said:
barneystinson69 said:

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games_(US)

That was on launch day. Are you telling me this console with its 3-5 games is better?

And the concept is cooler. I get Nintendo wants to do their own thing, but they're handicapping the console in terms of power, and the price is too high, plus all the other crap. I can't believe some think this'll sell 40 million...

And from that list, how many games do you look and think "Man, I really got to have that title!"80% of them are ports of "old" games for the time, that also were cheaper in other systems(and part of that percentage were also the games that were most worthy wasting money on), the other 10% were shovelware and last 10% were Nintendo games, but none of them were especially great, with the exception of the New Super Mario Bros U, but even then it was a game that did nothing new and thus hadnt got much appeal.

While the Switch seems that it will have less games, Zelda alone is far more attractive than that list.Its a new game, its exclusive, it is doing something new and refreshing, and its a really hyped game.Personally I think its a better deal than having a bazillion lower quality games.

Zelda is a port too! Its coming with the Wii U! Are you seriously saying that a Wii U game coming on the Switch is better than all those games combined? Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLNYOJ6qXE8

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

pokoko said:
Unless there is a true handheld successor to the 3DS around the corner then there is no way the Switch will sell less than the Wii U. I'd be completely surprised if it didn't at the very least double the Wii U.

Of course, that being said, the expectations for success have to be much higher, as well. Double the Wii U would be a dismal failure. It's going to have to sell enough software to make up for two systems, not one.

A significant portion of the Wii U audience (at least 10 million) will buy this because they are hardcore Nintendo fans.

But saying that the Switch will sell double Wii U to be a success is pretty horrendous. The Wii U+3DS sold about 80 million. If the Switch did 30 million it would be an absolute travesty considering it is the first console in Nintendo history that is both the successor to the portable and the home console market.

I think therein lies the biggest problem though. Nintendo handhelds have always been successful given their low price points. The Switch is a $300 handheld if you consider it a successor to the 3DS. Remember how bad the 3DS was doing at $250? This costs $300. There is no way the Switch at that price point sells to the same audience that bought a much cheaper 3DS (at around half that price) after price cut. At this rate it probably will do double Wii U, but that's pretty bad when you realise that this thing is supposed to be the successor of the 3DS as well which sold around 65 million.

UltimateUnknown said:
pokoko said:
Unless there is a true handheld successor to the 3DS around the corner then there is no way the Switch will sell less than the Wii U. I'd be completely surprised if it didn't at the very least double the Wii U.

Of course, that being said, the expectations for success have to be much higher, as well. Double the Wii U would be a dismal failure. It's going to have to sell enough software to make up for two systems, not one.

A significant portion of the Wii U audience (at least 10 million) will buy this because they are hardcore Nintendo fans.

But saying that the Switch will sell double Wii U to be a success is pretty horrendous. The Wii U+3DS sold about 80 million. If the Switch did 30 million it would be an absolute travesty considering it is the first console in Nintendo history that is both the successor to the portable and the home console market.

I think therein lies the biggest problem though. Nintendo handhelds have always been successful given their low price points. The Switch is a $300 handheld if you consider it a successor to the 3DS. Remember how bad the 3DS was doing at $250? This costs $300. There is no way the Switch at that price point sells to the same audience that bought a much cheaper 3DS (at around half that price) after price cut. At this rate it probably will do double Wii U, but that's pretty bad when you realise that this thing is supposed to be the successor of the 3DS as well which sold around 65 million.

Thats why I say if it gets a price cut fast, it has a far better chance.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
Jpcc86 said:

Eventually, yes. 

You've got to be kidding me...

3DS is dead.... if anything every 3DS going forward will also release on the switch and it is also certain that Nintendo is not going to support cross buy. 

The Switch is going to sell more then the WiiU since they merge the consoles and handheld market. 

The system is underpowered and overpriced, that's not a good combo. In order to suceed the system need to appeal to the casual market and Nintendo doesn't have a Wii Sports this time around. Nintendo making the same mistakes they made with the WiiU, they needed a bundled game and copy what made Wii a sucess instead they used the WiiU approach. 

bunchanumbers said:
I was predicting 40m but that might be generous. Now I'm thinking that it could be 25m at best.

Dito

barneystinson69 said:
Nautilus said:

Zelda is a port too! Its coming with the Wii U! Are you seriously saying that a Wii U game coming on the Switch is better than all those games combined? Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLNYOJ6qXE8

Sincerely, that is bs.First, because I read an eurogamer article of a guy that went hands on with Zelda and he said that the game runned better than the Wii U version.(Cant seem to find the article now though).Its either a really bad luck with maybe a bug the guy got, bad programming for the demo, or the unlikely chance that he is simply lying.I personally dont believe that the Switch version will be worse tecnically.

And its comming alongside the Wii U version.And for better or worse, its going to be marketed as a Switch game.Look no further than the presentation.There it was listed as a switch game, so that it dosent create confusion, and only on the Treehouse they said it was comming to Wii U on the same day.Not only that, but I also believe the physical version will be extremely limited, making this essentially a Switch game for whoever wants a physical copy.And last and most important:the general public dont have a Wii U and barely knows about it, so for them its a Switch title.And Zelda looks gorgeous, even as a cross gen title.It is going to work as long as the marketing on this device is done right.An ad on Superbowl could go a LONG way, for example.

I think it wont even outsell the Virtual Boy.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

UltimateUnknown said:
pokoko said:

I'm a bit confused.  I said double the Wii U would be a dismal failure.  

Though, the Switch doesn't have to sell as much as Wii U + 3DS.  The key is going to be software and the hope that the attach rate soars (which it might not).