By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Nintendo Switch will sell less than the Wii U...

Will it sell less than the Wii U?

Yes. This thing is looking to be a flop 133 17.85%

No, but it'll still sell like shit 229 30.74%

No, it'll sell very well... 323 43.36%

It'll outsell the PS4 an... 60 8.05%

Total:745

Hmmmmm.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

I disagree completely with weak software lineup.

While third party is somewhat decent, at least much better than the Wii U had, nintendo first party offering for the first year is really good.It may not have an obscene ammount of first party games, but the ones it has are high quality.Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles 2,Mario Kart 8 are all but certain to be excellent games.And there is Fire Emblem warriors and ARMS, both of which holds promise.And thats not inclusing the small projects, like the puzzle game with a complicated names, which are neat additions.Sincerely, this 9 months(not even a year) looks much better than the 3DS and Wii U, and to be quite honest, its the best first year in a LONG while, and thats probably not the whole story, since nintendo is probably holding stuff the show that will still release this year, since we saw that there is already a Direct comming and E3 is not far off the Switchs launch.And lets not fool ourselves, XOne and PS4 offering in the first year was mediocre at best, especially since the first party games were not good with some exceptions and most third party games were cross gens.

Switch has a good concept, the price is not bad, and has the software.It just needs to get it right with the marketing.Nintendo needs to market this product hard.

errrr no.

1. the wiiU also had third party support at the start. Thats wht third parties do, they cash in on the launch frenzy of new hardware then slowly pull support when the hardware fails to meet their expectations over time. 

2. Nintendo has never hada problem with first party. But first party software didnt do anything for them with the wiiU. They sold all of 13M consoles for crying out loud. In FOUR years!! The weak software isnt negated cause nintendo releases (and rereleases) a few of their mainline IPs. Its because the signs are alrady there taht we will not be seeing major third party support for the switch. Now if during their press event they showed the division, COD or BF also coming for the switch that would be a totally different thing. Nintendo will not survive on first party alone. Just remember I said this.

3. You must be one of those people that blame the failure of the wiiU entirely to the marketing.Nintendo has to do a lot more than market hard to make a thing of the switch. 

4. And its price is bad. Like really bad. Unless ou are living in a bubble and nothing else exists. What exactly is it? A home console? a handheld? or both? Issue with that is the classical jack of all trades master of none problem. Its fails at all of them. Its a handheld with only 2.5hrs of proper gaming time. A home console that cannot hold its own to all the other home consoles out there. And that price.... $300? with $80 controllers or accessories?
idk, when i read stuff like what you say.... I can kinda understand why even nintendo keeps making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again.

I disagree. it is a handheld by nature really, with a home TV option. Suggesting it will sell worse than the Wii U (which is still at 300$ itself) is just stupid. Why would a device that is multiple times more powerful than the Wii U AND a hyrbid home and portable combo sell worse than a system at the same exact price that was way worse and had no real big benefits (tablet controller is lame)?

you're overreacting.

I am disappointed with the announced titles for the system, but suggesting that the Switch will do worse than the Wii U when they have the SAME price but the Switch is vastly superiour spec wise AND is portable? that's just silly

a Pokemon game release on the Switch (which will inevitably happen) would probably alone gurantee enough sold consoles to beat the Wii U

Lmao!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I thought it would be bad too, but once I saw the JoyCon functionalities, I just changed my bets. JoyCon is a true successor to the wii mote. And remember, what made Wii great was the Wii-Mote, now JoyCon is like a very, very, very improved version of WiiMote and much easier too use.

JoyCon has built-in IR Cam, so they can work anywhere and don`t need the IR bar Wii needed in order to work. HD Rumble can also bring some very interesting gaming mechanics if well used, I`m sure Nintendo is going to use it well.

What I think could harm sales initially is the price tag, but again, if public see value they are going to buy it, going for a very low price tag could hurt more than help. I don`t get why people get this idea that price matters so much, people do buy iPhone and other premium smartphones every year or two years, it won`t be a 299 USD price tag that are going to stop it.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Nautilus said:

I disagree completely with weak software lineup.

While third party is somewhat decent, at least much better than the Wii U had, nintendo first party offering for the first year is really good.It may not have an obscene ammount of first party games, but the ones it has are high quality.Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles 2,Mario Kart 8 are all but certain to be excellent games.And there is Fire Emblem warriors and ARMS, both of which holds promise.And thats not inclusing the small projects, like the puzzle game with a complicated names, which are neat additions.Sincerely, this 9 months(not even a year) looks much better than the 3DS and Wii U, and to be quite honest, its the best first year in a LONG while, and thats probably not the whole story, since nintendo is probably holding stuff the show that will still release this year, since we saw that there is already a Direct comming and E3 is not far off the Switchs launch.And lets not fool ourselves, XOne and PS4 offering in the first year was mediocre at best, especially since the first party games were not good with some exceptions and most third party games were cross gens.

Switch has a good concept, the price is not bad, and has the software.It just needs to get it right with the marketing.Nintendo needs to market this product hard.

errrr no.

1. the wiiU also had third party support at the start. Thats wht third parties do, they cash in on the launch frenzy of new hardware then slowly pull support when the hardware fails to meet their expectations over time. 

2. Nintendo has never hada problem with first party. But first party software didnt do anything for them with the wiiU. They sold all of 13M consoles for crying out loud. In FOUR years!! The weak software isnt negated cause nintendo releases (and rereleases) a few of their mainline IPs. Its because the signs are alrady there taht we will not be seeing major third party support for the switch. Now if during their press event they showed the division, COD or BF also coming for the switch that would be a totally different thing. Nintendo will not survive on first party alone. Just remember I said this.

3. You must be one of those people that blame the failure of the wiiU entirely to the marketing.Nintendo has to do a lot more than market hard to make a thing of the switch. 

4. And its price is bad. Like really bad. Unless ou are living in a bubble and nothing else exists. What exactly is it? A home console? a handheld? or both? Issue with that is the classical jack of all trades master of none problem. Its fails at all of them. Its a handheld with only 2.5hrs of proper gaming time. A home console that cannot hold its own to all the other home consoles out there. And that price.... $300? with $80 controllers or accessories?
idk, when i read stuff like what you say.... I can kinda understand why even nintendo keeps making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again.

1)I should have put a "so far" in it.But the Wii U had decent support at launch then all fell apart.Supposing the list so far will stay there and nothing will be cancelled, it seems a better list that is more well distributed.And you are comparing a system which already launched its games and all, with one that might still announce more(I stress on might).Not a fair comparison.

2)First party software basically sold the 3DS.And thats going to sell more than 70 millions LT.Enough said.

3)No, Im not blind.Wii U problem was diverse and deep, ranging from bad marketing, to lack of games and droughts, to an unefficient use of the console features and even hardware.The only negative things you can say about the Switch so far is:Online paywall(but even then the others do that, so no big deal I guess, even if its a shitty practice), expensive acessories and lack on raw power.The rest Nintendo is in a much better position.There are still some things left to see, such as online infrastructure and other things, but assuming they keep the good job they are making on marketing, I dont see why they cant succeed.

4) And the price is decent.Dont exagerate please.If you dont take my words for it, just go check professional journalists like the ones on IGN, Easy Allies, etc, who are saying the same thing:Its not a great price, but its not a bad one.Its simply a normal price for a new console.The acessories, though.... yeah, that is shit.

I dont understand people like you that simply cant at least accept that Nintendo has a chance to succeed.Im not asking you to comply, just admit there is a chance.The software is there, the machine is good, marketing seems solid, and third party support is at least existent.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

$470aud apparently. Really doubt this will sell well over here when Xb1 and PS4 are so cheap now.

Nautilus said:

1)I should have put a "so far" in it.But the Wii U had decent support at launch then all fell apart.Supposing the list so far will stay there and nothing will be cancelled, it seems a better list that is more well distributed.And you are comparing a system which already launched its games and all, with one that might still announce more(I stress on might).Not a fair comparison.

Th point of the wiiU comparison was this; third party support isnt based on lists. Cause if it were then at the start even the wiiU had a lot of them. Its based on continuity..... the wiiU looked very rosy too before launch. Look how that ended up. 

2)First party software basically sold the 3DS.And thats going to sell more than 70 millions LT.Enough said.

the 3DS being a handheld console sold the 3DS. And that  only sold half as much as the DS..... but thats another story and would drag us into another completely diffrent discussion. So lets keep things in perspective. 

I am saying that if the wiiU, N64 and GC showed anything its that a console cannot survice on first party offerrings alone. You on the other hand are citing a handheld as your defacto point as to why I am wrong. Rather than argue about it, lets just say I have heard you and we can see what happens down the road. Lets see how well the switch dos without the big AAA third party games yet again. 

4) And the price is decent.Dont exagerate please.If you dont take my words for it, just go check professional journalists like the ones on IGN, Easy Allies, etc, who are saying the same thing:Its not a great price, but its not a bad one.Its simply a normal price for a new console.The acessories, though.... yeah, that is shit.

I am not exagerating...... lets look at it from both perspectives.... as a handheld the 3ds launched at $250. Sales were poor and 6 months after launch its price was cut by a third to around $170. Thats what happens when you release a handheld thats too expensive. As a home console, the switch is going to be competing with the likes of the XB1 and PS4. Those console can be had right now for $250 with a game and have a 3yr sytrong library of a LOT of games. Lets not forget that the switch is technically inferior when compared to them and by default won't even be considered for certain games.

This begs the question... who exactly is the switch selling to at its current price? Cause I can promise you, nintendo doesn't want it to be like the wiiU that only would sell to the die hard nintendo faithful and the generally curious consumer..... You like nintendo seem to be banking on the notion that there is this third consumer that wants both a console and a handheld and is willing to settle for an inferior product on both ends but loves nintendos games. Its left to be seen how big that market is..... time will tell... but my guess is its not as big as you may think.

I dont understand people like you that simply cant at least accept that Nintendo has a chance to succeed.Im not asking you to comply, just admit there is a chance.The software is there, the machine is good, marketing seems solid, and third party support is at least existent.

Answers in bold.

I don't know what you mean by people like me and suggesting that i can't accept this or that.

I have not said theer in't a chance. I have not said its going to be a complete failure.... hell i think i even said i expect it to sell around 30;35M......

but you are basing all you are saying on your personal opinion. I am basing what I am saying on historical evidence and the fact that even now nintendo seems to be still makng the same mistakes they have always done. The real mistakes that has cost them every generation they lost.

Nintendo always does their own thing, thats good for the most part and when it works you have things like the wii.... when it fails you have things like the wiiU and GC and N64.Right now, nintendo is riding everything on this belief that people really want a mobile home console or a handheld that can be plugged into a TV.... just like they did with motion controls on the wii and a touchscreen on the wiiU..... and thats why i say they haven't learnt their lesson.

Its supposed to be about the games. Thats the safest surest way to guarantee success. Get as many of the popular games on your system as possible then let the uniqueness of your hardware set you apart. Instead, they push a particular gaming philosophy, build their hardware around it and then expect everyone to ignore all the other consoles out there and build for/or come theirs. Its like the push gaming gimmicks instead of at least focus on being on a level playing feild first... and then push whatever gimmick they are trying to push.

I may be wrong.... but I firmly belive; from what I have seen so far, that nintendo are still making the same mistakes and this time are even doing it worse..... but again, lets wait and see.

I get sick of these threads where people make sketchy "predictions" with consequences.
Like, actually make a public bet that will result in humilitation or loss if you are wrong.
Otherwise why should anybody believe that even YOU believe the line you're spouting?

I think Switch is a wreck. But that doesn't mean it can't outsell Wii U, because it's also replacing 3DS.
Outselling Wii U alone is not an impressive "success" because it will be replacing both Wii U and 3DS.
If Nintendo want a higher level of success, they need to reach beyond that base, but the base is still there.
Of course, with paid online N may be planning on "lowered expectations" (# consoles) but more $/customer.
Which honestly speaking, is still a downward spiral with limited horizon, whatever profit on over-priced accessory is.
Making me think if that is their plan, they are better off going 3rd party for larger audience.
Because doing so now is better than later, when even less of young audience will remember their glory days. 

invetedlotus123 said:
I thought it would be bad too, but once I saw the JoyCon functionalities, I just changed my bets. JoyCon is a true successor to the wii mote. And remember, what made Wii great was the Wii-Mote, now JoyCon is like a very, very, very improved version of WiiMote and much easier too use.

JoyCon has built-in IR Cam, so they can work anywhere and don`t need the IR bar Wii needed in order to work. HD Rumble can also bring some very interesting gaming mechanics if well used, I`m sure Nintendo is going to use it well.

What I think could harm sales initially is the price tag, but again, if public see value they are going to buy it, going for a very low price tag could hurt more than help. I don`t get why people get this idea that price matters so much, people do buy iPhone and other premium smartphones every year or two years, it won`t be a 299 USD price tag that are going to stop it.

One of the Joy cons has the thumb stick in almost the dead center of it. The controllers aren't even close to symmetrical because it allows the Joy cons to work best when used in tandem either on the sides of the switch, or in the controller dock. It is a horrible, horrible design when they're analyzed independant of one another, and used by two seperate players. It felt so much like an afterthought when they first announced the Switch. It's the one thing I saw out of the initial announcement that I thought "well that's a back of the box feature that almost no one will use and even less developers will support. You're losing almost half your controller inputs when you play a game with a friend! Who would want to design and implement all of these control schemes?" As it turns out its Nintendo's 'main feature' of the Switch. The problem is that the market wasn't screaming for a better wiimote, much less this monstrocity. The function of the Joy cons isn't going to sell this console the way the remote sold the Wii. The Wii had novelty behind it, a fun, free pack in game, and a cheap price tag behind it, the Switch has none of that going for it.

Nintendo is just so out of touch with the people that might be willing to buy their console. The people who bought the Wii have moved on. So many Wiis were bought by non-traditional gamers, used 3-6 months and collected dust. Why on earth would they do that again when they quickly realized they probably shouldn't have bought into the hype and bought a Wii in the first place? They didn't buy the WIi U after all. Speaking of the Wii U. from beginning to end the Wii U was a complete disaster. The console was panned for having a complete lack of software for the last couple of years, and everyone suspected it was because they were stacking the deck of software titles for the launch of the Switch. And what does Nintendo have to show for it? Two first party games at launch, one of which is a Wii U port, followed by little more than a couple more Wii U ports or "sequels" to new Wii U games until Mario hits this fall. Whoopdedoo. The launch line up is arguably worse than the Wii U launch. And those apparent handheld franchises that would show the world that the Switch is the console to get to experience the entirety of Nintendo's lineup? They're nowhere to be found. All they had to do was announce a Pokemon game for the Switch and everything would have been clear. Instead I'm not convinced they won't be announcing a 3DS successor in the next year or so. This is bad for Nintendo. Very bad. So much worse than I though, and I was pretty pessimistic about Nintendo's future as it was.