By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will sales of the Scorpio take a hit?

I am sure it will take a bit of a hit from the PS4 pro and its longer stay on market.
But its fate ultimately depends on the price it is delivered at. I don't believe they can do $400, but I think it'll find quite a bit of buyers at $500 if it's up to expectations.

Around the Network

Swordmasterman said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Yeah. But manufacturing cost will be around $500 imo.

Oh! I did'nt reply to OT yet.

Why would a company take loss on a product that is intended for the "high end user". This don't make sense for me. If they are willing to take a loss, this means that the Scorpio is a next gen Xbox instead of an upgraded version of the Xbox One.

Because selling consoles was never about profits. The profits are made from software sales and Subscribers. Most consoles are sold at a loss. MS and Sony plan to make that back in fees etc.

The more people who own your hardware the more chance you got in selling software and gaining subscibers. Thats where the real money is. Nintendo are the only ones that normally sell there consoles at a profit, however thats due to the fact they dont have online fees and there hardware is normally weaker to reduce production costs.

Azzanation said:

Swordmasterman said:

Why would a company take loss on a product that is intended for the "high end user". This don't make sense for me. If they are willing to take a loss, this means that the Scorpio is a next gen Xbox instead of an upgraded version of the Xbox One.

Because selling consoles was never about profits. The profits are made from software sales and Subscribers. Most consoles are sold at a loss. MS and Sony plan to make that back in fees etc.

The more people who own your hardware the more chance you got in selling software and gaining subscibers. Thats where the real money is. Nintendo are the only ones that normally sell there consoles at a profit, however thats due to the fact they dont have online fees and there hardware is normally weaker to reduce production costs.

Isn't Scorpio just a premium version of the Xbox One ? If it is, they should make profit with Scorpio and push the Xbox One Slim for the installbase thing.

scorpio is in an odd place to me.

1. all of scorpio's games are going to xbox one according to current PR. things will look better on scorpio than xbox one but i'm not sure first party will look better than ps4 pro because they are have to support a lower base line. i don't believe 3rd party will do much to optimize on either ps4 pro or scorpio beyond resolution.

2. all of scropio's games are on PC anyways so you can all ready get the higher performance if that's your thing. not everyone loves PCs but i'll wager most true graphic whores are willing to play on PC.

3. scorpio will be $50 to $150 dollars more expensive than ps4 pro depending how both companies tolerance for selling at a loss.

4. ms has a much less compelling set of first party offerings

5. scorpio is a year late

6. but most importantly,.. with this iterative console offering the "not hitting the reset button" is not just for developers it is also for consumers. like the divide between android and IOs not too many really bounce between the platforms once invested. sony won the ps4 vs xbox one race by quite a bit. i really doubt many consumers will switch from xbox to playstation or from playstation to xbox this next gen. it would take a staggering difference in capabilities and games to make me walk away from the thousands of dollars of investment i've made into the platform of my choice. i think most gamers will have the same feelings.

AsGryffynn said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Yeah. But manufacturing cost will be around $500 imo.

Oh! I did'nt reply to OT yet.

Hmm, I wouldn't be so sure. MS is known for getting deals with manufacturers to lower the cost of their hardware. I think the only one they couldn't do that with was Nvidia and the original Xbox. 

Yes, I don't expect it will keep up until the gen nears its end and the PS4 starts showing its struggling to run very detailed games and Sony starts cooking up the PS5. Once the latter is announced, the ball is in MS's court... 

That's because nVidia are tight arses, even on the PC. :P

Drakrami said:

6 teraflops for $399. Stop living in lala land. 

You could take the exact same hardware as the PS4 pro and drive the clockrate up to hit 6 Teraflop.

Flops don't have a direct relationship with costs.

KingofTrolls said:
I think Scorpio will be a great succes, bigger than PS4 Pro. It will be a true 4K machine. They will target hardest tryhards with it. Now MS have to publish a good amount of exclusives that will use extra power and get the job done.

True 4k machine? That remains to be seen.

Right now though the only way you can have "True 4k 60fps" with AMD is with Multiple graphics processors, hopefully Vega changes that.

kitler53 said:

2. all of scropio's games are on PC anyways so you can all ready get the higher performance if that's your thing. not everyone loves PCs but i'll wager most true graphic whores are willing to play on PC.

Why make the distinction that the userbase of console and PC gamers are seperate? Many can and do enjoy playing on both devices.
If you can afford a high-end PC, chances are you also own at-least a single console.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Every system is a "media player" these days.

The last game console that tried to push against that was the Nintendo GameCube and it got it's rear ended kicked in with that approach.

People watch movies on their console, whether physical or streaming and have for 16 years now thanks largely TO Sony. 

The PS4 Pro plays movies too ... it just plays shittier versions of them than the new XBox systems and you have to pay a separate $300+ to get proper quality 4K video playback, whereas on the XBox this feature is free if you have a 4KTV.

MS did not fail because of a media approach, no one gives a shit about that. They failed because they charged $100 more for the XBox One due to the monstrosity known as Kinect 2.0 and then simultaneously gimped their chipset because they were over-concerned with heating issues causing them to lose parity/superiority with third party multiplatform games which are key to the XBox brand.

Had they launched at $399.99 (dumping Kinect) with the same specs or better than Sony, this console race would be very different today.

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
Actually Microsoft made and has made money on the 360 for several years now. The original xbox they never did, the Xbox one they are also making a profit as well. But they will take a hit and lose money on Scorpio for a year or so, then make money after costs go down.

Not to mention if this is the way I see it and the PS5 cannot really upgrade to a point where there will be noticeable differences, then the Scorpio will be the next generation's flagship console as well. That's the whole point. A four year lead, lower price point and a lifespan exceeding either... 

Intrinsic said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The Scorpio will take a sales hit because of the price no doubt, but it should be $499- $599 to display the power potential they are investing in for enthusiasts before next gen. No doubt I am investing this for all of my multiplats. The PS4 Pro failed to impress on two fronts:
1) HDR will be available on all home consoles between the MS and Sony.
2) They failed to prove that this console will keep enthusiasts with consoles (the main objective).

The PS4 is $100 Less than the Pro. All one would have to do is sell the power of one over the other at the holiday season to have the pro sell very well at the expense of the Slimline. This has me questioning whether the Pro was the real console Sony wanted to make, rather than the upgrade they promised to a specific audience.

The price was supposed to pigeonhold the platform in second place status in the first place, by default.

So PS4pro failed to you because they made every PS4 from launch to the Pro able to support HDR? And that the console is failing to keep the enthusiasts? What were you expecting? A console that will play 4k games natively?

They set out to make an upgrade that would release this year and that will cost a certian amount of money. And as it stands for that kinda performance it's still the cheapest box in gaming that can accomplish it. And that's what consoles are all about. Performance:price.

Something smells fishy to me about this. Sony did not just mean for this to just be a simple upgrade. Sony stated the console was supposed to stop potential PC gamers from jumping ship and going to PC. That is a failure if the console cannot aspire to hit at least 1080p 60fps.

I truly am starting to believe this console was supposed to be for enthusiasts who want to get into VR rather than PC and give a baseline experience that the original PS4 could not offer with a non-native 4 simulated experience. Sony backtracked and said not everyone was ready for 4k when asked about the console and said HDR is the primary focus. They are runnig around in circles and its confusing.

Imo, Scorpio is gonna fail.

After one year PS4 Pro will probabily be $350, and i don'tthink Scorpio will be less than $500.
This, and i expect PS5 to release one year, MAX 2 years after Scorpio.

Take a hit compared to what?

It already failed in Japan and Europe, nothing to hope there. In the US, it will be against a console cheaper (surely $350 or even less next year), with more games, a bigger userbase and a year of visibility. It won't sell well and could almost be a niche product.

I've already seen quite a bit of journalists and gamers asking "What's the point of the PS4 Pro when most players don't have the TV for it?", this question is legit and will be even more for the Scorpio. The majority of players shouldn't even care about these products. So if you add that to an already struggling brand, I don't see what points to huge sales numbers.