By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo having all their games available everywhere a better business than restricting them to a console?

Could Nintendo make more money by having their software everywhere?

Yes 171 42.86%

No 188 47.12%

I have no idea. 40 10.03%

Total:399
zorg1000 said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

People suggest that Nintendo should go third party before the others because Nintendo has the most successful intellectual property with the potential to sell well on other consoles.  Also, most game sales on Nintendo consoles are Nintendo games (73% for the WiiU, 60% for the Wii).  Most game sales on XBox/Sony consoles are third party games.

Like ive said, you cant just assume that Nintendo IP will do vastly better by being on PS/XB. We have seen many times that bigger install base does not automatically mean bigger sales.

Mario 64, Galaxy & 3D Land have sold around 10-12  million, thats on devices with 30-100 million install bases. Sunshine, Galaxy 2 & 3D World have also sold similar amounts.

Pokemon has sold pretty consistent for about 15 years now, the mainline titles have sold about 15-17 million while remakes have sold about 10-12 million & expansions have sold about 6-8 million. Thats on devices with 60-155 million install bases.

Animal Crossing has sold a similar amount on DS & 3DS, devices with an 80+ million gap.

Metroid II, Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, Prime 2, Prime 3, Hunters, Other M have all sold around 1.5 million give or take on devices ranging from 20-155 million. Prime is the best selling in the series on a 20 million install base.

With the exception of the first title, Kirby has sold a pretty consistent 2 million give or take on GB/NES/SNES/N64/GBA/DS/Wii/3DS.

The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess all sold about 7 million despite vastly different install bases. Zelda II, Link to the Past, Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword all sold near 4 million.

Then we also have to take into account demographics. According to this site, about 3/4 of all retail sales on PS4/XBO come from the shooter, sports & action genres. Can we really expect the online shooter/open world action/annual sports crowd to start buying things like Kirby, Mario Party, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Rhythm Heaven, Fossil Fighters, Paper Mario, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Yoshi, Captain Toad, etc?

I honestly dont see most Nintendo games having a big enough increase for it to be worthwhile. Ya some games like mainline Mario, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario Kart might do really well but is that worth it if most of their titles see little to no increase?

it's not that complicated. Nintendo would have to adapt to the fanbases of the playstation, xbox and pc if it wanted their games to sell.  Focus on their mainline games (instead of so many spin offs and kid game shovelware) and create new IPs that better fit the other bases. 

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

Like ive said, you cant just assume that Nintendo IP will do vastly better by being on PS/XB. We have seen many times that bigger install base does not automatically mean bigger sales.

Mario 64, Galaxy & 3D Land have sold around 10-12  million, thats on devices with 30-100 million install bases. Sunshine, Galaxy 2 & 3D World have also sold similar amounts.

Pokemon has sold pretty consistent for about 15 years now, the mainline titles have sold about 15-17 million while remakes have sold about 10-12 million & expansions have sold about 6-8 million. Thats on devices with 60-155 million install bases.

Animal Crossing has sold a similar amount on DS & 3DS, devices with an 80+ million gap.

Metroid II, Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, Prime 2, Prime 3, Hunters, Other M have all sold around 1.5 million give or take on devices ranging from 20-155 million. Prime is the best selling in the series on a 20 million install base.

With the exception of the first title, Kirby has sold a pretty consistent 2 million give or take on GB/NES/SNES/N64/GBA/DS/Wii/3DS.

The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess all sold about 7 million despite vastly different install bases. Zelda II, Link to the Past, Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword all sold near 4 million.

Then we also have to take into account demographics. According to this site, about 3/4 of all retail sales on PS4/XBO come from the shooter, sports & action genres. Can we really expect the online shooter/open world action/annual sports crowd to start buying things like Kirby, Mario Party, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Rhythm Heaven, Fossil Fighters, Paper Mario, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Yoshi, Captain Toad, etc?

I honestly dont see most Nintendo games having a big enough increase for it to be worthwhile. Ya some games like mainline Mario, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario Kart might do really well but is that worth it if most of their titles see little to no increase?

it's not that complicated. Nintendo would have to adapt to the fanbases of the playstation, xbox and pc if it wanted their games to sell.  Focus on their mainline games (instead of so many spin offs and kid game shovelware) and create new IPs that better fit the other bases. 

You know those shovelware actually sell very well, right? Big games and new IPs are expensive, that's why they make a lot of small games with the same engine. So yes, that's very complicated. Not only their games would be more expensive to make, but those easy to make cash grabs would sell less. All of that without the hardware profit, minus 30% of all games sales. I can't really see how that's better for them.

Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

Unlikely. You underestimate how stubborn Nintendo is (and sometimes rightfully so, the industry would suck if everyone did the same thing). 

Soundwave said:
Aeolus451 said:

Unlikely. You underestimate how stubborn Nintendo is (and sometimes rightfully so, the industry would suck if everyone did the same thing). 

Well, it would still be nintendo but with less kid games and more of the kind of games it's own fans want to play (more mainline nintendo games) and what other gamers want to (new IPs focused more on adults).   

You forgot there's a different captain running the ship. it's not the same nintendo as when Iwata was around. He'll likely make different choices than Iwata. 

I think that some of the nintendo folks are thinking of sega when someone mentions that nintendo should go third party. It's definitely coloring their perception on this. If nintendo did go third party, it would not be a sign of that nintendo failed at making home consoles or that it pulled a sega. 

Aeolus451 said:
Soundwave said:

Well, it would still be nintendo but with less kid games and more of the kind of games it's own fans want to play (more mainline nintendo games) and what other gamers want to (new IPs focused more on adults).

The irony of this comment, considering their second (arguably first) biggest IP is aimed towards kids and not just fans..

And all this "kids games are shovelware" stuff annoys me. Splatoon is a great game for kids and, in a way, is a kids' game (they're not necessarily the main targeted audience, but at least one of them). So are Kirby and Yoshi.

This whole notion of making games for gamers and fans is great and all. But after watching Gaming Historian on Satoru Iwata again, I feel like we would take a step back as an industry if we allow games become exclusive, meaning focused on certain demographics. Just because Iwata is no longer here, doesn't mean for Nintendo to just sweep everything he stood for under the rug. He believes that games should be fun for everyone. One of the reasons why the Wii and DS were successful because they reached a whole new audience that we've never thought had potential before. while we may not see something like that again, it was a great moment for the industry because we saw new people and new demographics playing games, which was unheard of in previous generations.

All I know is having games for everyone and anyone to play will allow the industry to continue growing. Hardcore games are fine, but casual games should hold as much importance. I remember Nintendo giving an interesting tidbit about Animal Crossing having a huge female audience in Japan. That's pretty cool. Hearing stuff like this makes me proud to be involved in games because I know the audience is growing beyond the typical age, gender, etc.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Aeolus451 said:

The irony of this comment, considering their second (arguably first) biggest IP is aimed towards kids and not just fans..

And all this "kids games are shovelware" stuff annoys me. Splatoon is a great game for kids and, in a way, is a kids' game (they're not necessarily the main targeted audience, but at least one of them). So are Kirby and Yoshi.

This whole notion of making games for gamers and fans is great and all. But after watching Gaming Historian on Satoru Iwata again, I feel like we would take a step back as an industry if we allow games become exclusive, meaning focused on certain demographics. Just because Iwata is no longer here, doesn't mean for Nintendo to just sweep everything he stood for under the rug. He believes that games should be fun for everyone. One of the reasons why the Wii and DS were successful because they reached a whole new audience that we've never thought had potential before. while we may not see something like that again, it was a great moment for the industry because we saw new people and new demographics playing games, which was unheard of in previous generations.

All I know is having games for everyone and anyone to play will allow the industry to continue growing. Hardcore games are fine, but casual games should hold as much importance. I remember Nintendo giving an interesting tidbit about Animal Crossing having a huge female audience in Japan. That's pretty cool. Hearing stuff like this makes me proud to be involved in games because I know the audience is growing beyond the typical age, gender, etc.

What I mean by the kid game shovelware is exactly that. There's a lot of really crappy games on the wii. Splatoon is not that. It's a new IP where nintendo is tried something new and dabbled in the competitive TPS genre. 

The Wii sold really well but it didn't retain any those casuals or converted them over to nintendo fans. It made a bunch of money for nintendo though. In general, casuals are hit or miss. Either you catch their interest or you don't. It's just really risky especially considering that nintendo business is mainly gaming and toys. Does it have other business ventures in different markets to lean if they go through a rougher patch with gaming? Most of it's eggs are in one basket. The reason why i would prefer nintendo to focus on it's base with it's mainline games, focus less on shovelware and create new IPs for the gamers from the other bases if they go third party is because more than likely to work out well. 

Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

Im sorry but thats very dumb, Nintendo is a company based around making family friendly products, saying that they should have a lesser focus on games that are kid & family friendly is like saying Disney should make Disney Channel appeal more to adults and the next Avengers/Star Wars movies should be rated R.

By saying that Nintendo should focus less on kids/families and more on "hardcore" adults is basically saying that Nintendo should cease to be Nintendo and who does that benefit? Nintendo fans lose out because Nintendo stops making many of the franchises that they love and Nintendo would then have to compete head on with all the companies that make shooter/sports/action games and then what is left for kids/families on dedicated gaming devices?

Now which games listed in my last post are "shovelware"?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Is it even worth debate this anymore? You guys are clueless. The more I listen to your suggestions more i see that you don't want Nintendo success in the market. You suggest this:

. Porting their games to the console that you bought.

. Porting their games to smartphones with gamepad support.

. No Hardware

. Less cartoonish games

With this you'll get Nintendo in the same level of Sega. Hurting their finances, awareness, IPs, and even their quality. You are all crazy if think Nintendo has any chances to succeed listening you. Unless, that is what you really want, so then that makes sense.

Or you just want Nintendo to adjust themselves to please your tastes. But guess what? You are not everyone, You don't represent PS4, X1, PC and mobile entire userbase (not even a small fraction), you can't talk like you know what is best for Nintendo. Because you don't really know.

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:

Is it even worth debate this anymore? You guys are clueless. The more I listen to your suggestions more i see that you don't want Nintendo success in the market. You suggest this:

. Porting their games to the console that you bought.

. Porting their games to smartphones with gamepad support.

. No Hardware

. Less cartoonish games

With this you'll get Nintendo in the same level of Sega. Hurting their finances, awareness, IPs, and even their quality. You are all crazy if think Nintendo has any chances to succeed listening you. Unless, that is what you really want, so then that makes sense.

Or you just want Nintendo to adjust themselves to please your tastes. But guess what? You are not everyone, You don't represent PS4, X1, PC and mobile entire userbase, you can't talk like if you know what is good for Nintendo. Because you don't really know.

At this point all of the suggestions start to blend in and don't make much sense of why Nintendo should switch. Nintendo is already working on the NX and they stated themselves that they are committed to dedicated hardware. Whether that stays multiple devices or eventually moving towards one unit to deliver their games on!

So there's quite awhile to go before people here should even start discussing Nintendo giving up hardware completely. The post where the person points out how Nintendo has sold very comparable hardware numbers to both Sony and Microsoft overall just sums up this whole argument easily. People generally want to take Nintendo's handheld market out of the equations, but it's their job to sell software and having a console and handheld to play the same games will solve a lot...

If nintendo had a pc store I´d buy some of their games there.
I don´t think I´ll ever buy hardware from them again.