By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo having all their games available everywhere a better business than restricting them to a console?

Could Nintendo make more money by having their software everywhere?

Yes 171 42.86%

No 188 47.12%

I have no idea. 40 10.03%

Total:399

Obviously their gameboy line still sells more then well enough, there console future will have to be determined by the success or lack -off succes from the NX, In the end I would personally love to see Nintendo develop multiplatform games, as I generally don't prefer the hardware they release, the last console I truely loved was the Gamecube, apart from the DS-3DS etc.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
lionpetercarmoo said:

LOL Google? Apple? Samsung? HA like that will ever happen. If NX fails Nintendo will be the one bending over for Playstation and mabye Xbox.

They could go to Google or Apple right now and get a deal, I'd gauruntee it. Hell I think MS would let them handle the Scorpio right now if the deal fit certain parameters. 

Disney would also likely be in on the bidding. Facebook would probably be another very interested party. Everyone is seeing Pokemon Go go through the roof and it puts Nintendo in a very different position. 

Nintendo is in a far, far different position from Sega, they don't need to beg anyone for shit, they have a lot of money to make in the next 5 years NX or not and zero debt. Their stock price and market cap will as soon as this week be higher than all of Sony. 

That's the power of their IP. If I'm Nintendo and Sony/MS want my games, I make them jump through every hoop and if they say no, fine, great, we'll just go take a meeting with Apple. When you change your underwear upon hearing that Sony/MS you can call us back and maybe we'll pick up. 

I think it's gonna take more than one mobile game for most of those guys to start paying attention besides Facebook but who cares about them.

lionpetercarmoo said:
Soundwave said:

They could go to Google or Apple right now and get a deal, I'd gauruntee it. Hell I think MS would let them handle the Scorpio right now if the deal fit certain parameters. 

Disney would also likely be in on the bidding. Facebook would probably be another very interested party. Everyone is seeing Pokemon Go go through the roof and it puts Nintendo in a very different position. 

Nintendo is in a far, far different position from Sega, they don't need to beg anyone for shit, they have a lot of money to make in the next 5 years NX or not and zero debt. Their stock price and market cap will as soon as this week be higher than all of Sony. 

That's the power of their IP. If I'm Nintendo and Sony/MS want my games, I make them jump through every hoop and if they say no, fine, great, we'll just go take a meeting with Apple. When you change your underwear upon hearing that Sony/MS you can call us back and maybe we'll pick up. 

I think it's gonna take more than one mobile game for most of those guys to start paying attention besides Facebook but who cares about them.

And then Animal Crossing iOS/Android will be a big success and then we'll see. I really don't have much doubt Nintendo can be extremely successful on mobile, they are totally going to dominate with the demographics that are there. They are not a one trick pony. 

Nintendo has considerable leverage, if you were running a business you would use the same leverage because it'd be stupid not to. It's simply bad negotiating.

This is like saying to a Victoria Secret model that just because she got divorced, now she has to settle for the next fat guy who's been eying her at the bar. Yeah, no, she's going to have plenty of options and plenty of suitors. 

Pokemon Go may very well be the biggest gaming phenomenon of the decade too. 

I'd bet right now the people at Universal Studios are doing backflips that they got to the rights to Nintendo character IPs for theme parks and locked that down before Disney could. And on the other side I'd bet there's more than a few Disney execs this week that will be kicking themselves for not beating Universal out for the rights. 

If you don't think Apple and Google (which is actually co-partnered with Nintendo on Pokemon Go through Niantic) are paying attention to Pokemon Go ... I think you're dead wrong on that too. If CNN and every major media outlet in the US is paying attention, Apple and Google sure as hell are. 

padib said:

No, it's worse for them because the potential for profit is much greater as a console manufacturer (through royalties), and as a manufacturer, you can't sell on your competitors' platforms.

On Android and iOS what cut does Google and apple take for themselves? 

Kerotan said:

30% off the top.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Kerotan said:

30%.

It's not too bad.  Google takes 45% of the revenue off youtubers.  There's a lot of money to be made on mobile so.  

What does steam,  Sony and MS take? 

I selected "I have no idea". They probably have a higher profit margin by not having to pay royalties to anyone for the sales on Mario and Pokemon games which routinely sell over 10 million copies, and they receive royalties from third parties. Also, they have autonomy on the visibility of their own games on their own eShop, and they don't have to spend the extra resources required in making a game for multiple platforms. So if they could somehow have a larger profit margin by putting their games on all platforms and paying royalties to others, I don't have enough information to know this.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

lionpetercarmoo said:
zorg1000 said:

Gladly. Ive explained before how simply having a larger install base does not gaurantee larger sales. Many Nintendo franchises seem to sell in a pretty general range regardless of install base.

Look at 3D Mario or Pokemon or Zelda or Kirby or Metroid, etc. These series and others do not seem to be significantly affected by install base and have sold similar numbers whether they are on a 20 million or 100+ million install base.

Also one needs to take into account demographics of a device. About 3/4 of retail sales on PS4/XBO come from the sports/shooter/action genres so the likelihood of Nintendo franchises having large gains by being on competitors devices seems rather slim.

From a Nintendo fan perspective, going 3rd party likely means we will miss out on many Nintendo franchises. Not too long ago, it was revealed by Sony that something like 6/10 games they publish arent profitable but they continue to make them in order to create a diverse lineup, its most likely a similar situation for Nintendo so if they go 3rd party than its a very strong possibility that they will just stick to their major IP and smaller ones will be forgotten.

By exiting the hardware business Nintendo is forfeiting profits from hardware, accessories, royalty fees in addition to possibly paying royalty fees meaning that Nintendo games would need to sell significantly more in order to offset these losses of revenue and like i said just because there is a larger install base does not mean larger sales will automatically appear.

But in terms of Nintendo those sales will rise. Do you know how much people want to play a  Mario game on Playstation or Xbox. Everybody will go and buy that game. Also those genres are the main genres that are made so of course they will get alot of sales. If NX fails you can bet that Nintendo will either go 3rd party or start thinking about it.

I made alot of points in my last post and it seems you didnt acknowledge most of them.

I have no idea how many PS/XB fans want a Mario game but im positive it's far less than you believe. Like I said, Mario Galaxy & Twilight Princess sold similar to Mario 64 & Ocarina of Time despite having an extra 70 million people to sell to.

Now you could make the argument that Wii was primarily a casual focused console so ill point to some Nintendo games on other consoles. Wind Waker sold pretty much the same as Link to the Past depsite being on a console with less than half the install base. Metroid Prime sold similar to the original despite being on a console with nearly 1/3 the install base. Animal Crossing on 3DS has sold close to the one on DS with less than half the install base. Pokemon has consistently sold around 15 million on GBA, DS & 3DS, devices that range from 60 million to 150 million.

We cant just assume that Nintendo games will sell significantly better simply by being on devices with larger sales.

And you have it backwards, shooters/sports/action games dont sell well on PS/XB because they are the main genres, they are the main genres because they sell so well. There is nothing that suggests a $60 platformer will do gangbusters on PS/XB.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

But thats point with Wii U, they were too relaxed with Wii success, and they thought Wii U will sell despite huge number of mistakes and without real effort just if put Wii name on it, and they admit thes, Wii U was slap of reality for them.

You can belive what you want, but like I wrote, its very unrealistic to expect that after Wii U failed (their biggest faile in history),  Nintendo, multi bilion company that in their long histor had only two years with loss and neer had any debt, will act like nothing happened and that will not work much harder in order that next console be much more appeling product.

They'll work harder, but working harder doesn't gauruntee better sales.

Sega worked much harder with the Dreamcast, Nintendo worked hard with the GameCube after N64 too ... both still failed and Dreamcast didn't in the end sell any better than the Saturn, and Gamecube declined considerably from N64. 

This isn't solely a merit based/effort based industry. Nintendo fixing some mistakes doesn't wow people, they have to bring something to the table considerably different (and different with actual value/appeal to the consumer) or improved from Sony/MS are already doing. 

Quite frankly NX is coming into a much more competetive market than the Wii U was, Wii U only had to deal with aging PS3/360, NX is coming right into the mid-cycle of the PS4/XB1 when both console's are at their peak strength, and Scorpio/Neo are also launching, and NX does not have the benefit of a Christmas launch either. 

If you work hard and actually correct some past mistakes on new product, its logical to expect that new product will bigger success than product that was made without real effort and with big number of huge mistakes, its common sense.

Like I wrote, Wii U had high price, terrible and misunderstood marketing, week launch and 1st year lineup, software drought, not appealing gamepad...you don't believe that NX with great and strong marketing, great and strong launch lineup, affordable price, solid gimmick...will not sell better than Wii U!?

Sega situation was nowhere similar to Nintendo situation, yes Nintendo worked hard with GC and GC failed, and after GC they worked hard and they changed the strategy and we got best selling Nintendo console ever. Now we have easily worst selling Nintendo console ever, we can expect similar effor like Wii had.

Its not just point to wow people, its also point to have appeling product, Wii U wasnt appeling at all (high price, terrible and misunderstood marketing, week launch titles and software drought, not appealing gamepad...) and beacuse of that Wii U bouth basicly only hard core Nintendo fans. But offcourse that will Nintendo bring something difrent too, they sevearal times said "new concept of gaming".

PS/Xbox console are way too in almost evre way including games, Nintendo offers totaly difrent kind of games and they will also have something newa and difrent that PS/Xb consoles.

Why is it always Nintendo should go third party? They seem to be the only ones called upon to do so.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....