By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo having all their games available everywhere a better business than restricting them to a console?

Could Nintendo make more money by having their software everywhere?

Yes 171 42.86%

No 188 47.12%

I have no idea. 40 10.03%

Total:399

Because that worked out GREAT for Mighty No 9!

Yeah, Nintendo's best games are as good as they are because Nintendo focuses on hardware they know the limits to inside and out. Moving third party will put them at a severe disadvantage to compete.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
oniyide said:

but thats the thing right there, you are saying those things like they are a FACT, they are not. There is no gaurantee that NX will have any of those things. Hell the fact that its releasing outside of the holiday means it has an uphill battle without even being revealed.

Like I wrote nothing is fact until Nintendo unveil NX, but it clear logic is that Nintendo after their biggest fail in their history will work much harder to not repeating Wii U mistakes and to have much more appealing product. Nintendo addressed almost all of Wii U mistakes, for instance they several time said they looking to have affordable price and that Wii U had higher price than they wanted, they also said they had problem with Wii U software drouth and that all unified platform talk is basically because of that, just Zelda BotW is far more stronger launch title than any Wii U title in whole 1st year, that Wii U gamepad was alredy old when Wii U was launched, that they were to relax after Wii succes, that they had huge HD devolpment problems....its very unrealistic to expect that after Wii U failed (their biggest faile in history),  Nintendo will act like nothing happened and that will not work much harder in order that next console be much more appeling  product.

nothing's unrealistic it comes Nintendo. Hell you could have said the same thing years ago. It would have been unrealistic to expect the Wii u to bomb as hard as it did coming off the back on there most sucessful console (and i wouldve agreed with you), but here we are. THere is no logic at play here cause we dont have any concrete info. I'll believe it when i see it.

oniyide said:
Miyamotoo said:

Like I wrote nothing is fact until Nintendo unveil NX, but it clear logic is that Nintendo after their biggest fail in their history will work much harder to not repeating Wii U mistakes and to have much more appealing product. Nintendo addressed almost all of Wii U mistakes, for instance they several time said they looking to have affordable price and that Wii U had higher price than they wanted, they also said they had problem with Wii U software drouth and that all unified platform talk is basically because of that, just Zelda BotW is far more stronger launch title than any Wii U title in whole 1st year, that Wii U gamepad was alredy old when Wii U was launched, that they were to relax after Wii succes, that they had huge HD devolpment problems....its very unrealistic to expect that after Wii U failed (their biggest faile in history),  Nintendo will act like nothing happened and that will not work much harder in order that next console be much more appeling  product.

nothing's unrealistic it comes Nintendo. Hell you could have said the same thing years ago. It would have been unrealistic to expect the Wii u to bomb as hard as it did coming off the back on there most sucessful console (and i wouldve agreed with you), but here we are. THere is no logic at play here cause we dont have any concrete info. I'll believe it when i see it.

But thats point with Wii U, they were too relaxed with Wii success, and they thought Wii U will sell despite huge number of mistakes and without real effort just if put Wii name on it, and they admit thes, Wii U was slap of reality for them.

You can belive what you want, but like I wrote, its very unrealistic to expect that after Wii U failed (their biggest faile in history),  Nintendo, multi bilion company that in their long histor had only two years with loss and neer had any debt, will act like nothing happened and that will not work much harder in order that next console be much more appeling product.

Miyamotoo said:
oniyide said:

But thats point with Wii U, they were too relaxed with Wii success, and they thought Wii U will sell despite huge number of mistakes and without real effort just if put Wii name on it, and they admit thes, Wii U was slap of reality for them.

You can belive what you want, but like I wrote, its very unrealistic to expect that after Wii U failed (their biggest faile in history),  Nintendo, multi bilion company that in their long histor had only two years with loss and neer had any debt, will act like nothing happened and that will not work much harder in order that next console be much more appeling product.

They'll work harder, but working harder doesn't gauruntee better sales.

Sega worked much harder with the Dreamcast, Nintendo worked hard with the GameCube after N64 too ... both still failed and Dreamcast didn't in the end sell any better than the Saturn, and Gamecube declined considerably from N64. 

This isn't solely a merit based/effort based industry. Nintendo fixing some mistakes doesn't wow people, they have to bring something to the table considerably different (and different with actual value/appeal to the consumer) or improved from Sony/MS are already doing. 

Quite frankly NX is coming into a much more competetive market than the Wii U was, Wii U only had to deal with aging PS3/360, NX is coming right into the mid-cycle of the PS4/XB1 when both console's are at their peak strength, and Scorpio/Neo are also launching, and NX does not have the benefit of a Christmas launch either. 

zorg1000 said:
lionpetercarmoo said:
OF COURSE. I would really love to hear a person who said no reasoning behind it.

Gladly. Ive explained before how simply having a larger install base does not gaurantee larger sales. Many Nintendo franchises seem to sell in a pretty general range regardless of install base.

Look at 3D Mario or Pokemon or Zelda or Kirby or Metroid, etc. These series and others do not seem to be significantly affected by install base and have sold similar numbers whether they are on a 20 million or 100+ million install base.

Also one needs to take into account demographics of a device. About 3/4 of retail sales on PS4/XBO come from the sports/shooter/action genres so the likelihood of Nintendo franchises having large gains by being on competitors devices seems rather slim.

From a Nintendo fan perspective, going 3rd party likely means we will miss out on many Nintendo franchises. Not too long ago, it was revealed by Sony that something like 6/10 games they publish arent profitable but they continue to make them in order to create a diverse lineup, its most likely a similar situation for Nintendo so if they go 3rd party than its a very strong possibility that they will just stick to their major IP and smaller ones will be forgotten.

By exiting the hardware business Nintendo is forfeiting profits from hardware, accessories, royalty fees in addition to possibly paying royalty fees meaning that Nintendo games would need to sell significantly more in order to offset these losses of revenue and like i said just because there is a larger install base does not mean larger sales will automatically appear.

But in terms of Nintendo those sales will rise. Do you know how much people want to play a  Mario game on Playstation or Xbox. Everybody will go and buy that game. Also those genres are the main genres that are made so of course they will get alot of sales. If NX fails you can bet that Nintendo will either go 3rd party or start thinking about it.

Around the Network
lionpetercarmoo said:
zorg1000 said:

Gladly. Ive explained before how simply having a larger install base does not gaurantee larger sales. Many Nintendo franchises seem to sell in a pretty general range regardless of install base.

Look at 3D Mario or Pokemon or Zelda or Kirby or Metroid, etc. These series and others do not seem to be significantly affected by install base and have sold similar numbers whether they are on a 20 million or 100+ million install base.

Also one needs to take into account demographics of a device. About 3/4 of retail sales on PS4/XBO come from the sports/shooter/action genres so the likelihood of Nintendo franchises having large gains by being on competitors devices seems rather slim.

From a Nintendo fan perspective, going 3rd party likely means we will miss out on many Nintendo franchises. Not too long ago, it was revealed by Sony that something like 6/10 games they publish arent profitable but they continue to make them in order to create a diverse lineup, its most likely a similar situation for Nintendo so if they go 3rd party than its a very strong possibility that they will just stick to their major IP and smaller ones will be forgotten.

By exiting the hardware business Nintendo is forfeiting profits from hardware, accessories, royalty fees in addition to possibly paying royalty fees meaning that Nintendo games would need to sell significantly more in order to offset these losses of revenue and like i said just because there is a larger install base does not mean larger sales will automatically appear.

But in terms of Nintendo those sales will rise. Do you know how much people want to play a  Mario game on Playstation or Xbox. Everybody will go and buy that game. Also those genres are the main genres that are made so of course they will get alot of sales. If NX fails you can bet that Nintendo will either go 3rd party or start thinking about it.

Or they could just say "fuck you" to Sony and MS and go make a console with Apple or Google or Samsung. One in which they have more control over licensing fees and design. 

I'm sure after Pokemon Go, they will have lots of interest from other parties. 

If MS or Sony want any Nintendo action, they are going to have to bend over backwards and give Nintendo a ridiculously sweet deal. 

I'd make both of them jump through every hoop. 

Soundwave said:
lionpetercarmoo said:

Or they could just say "fuck you" to Sony and MS and go make a console with Apple or Google or Samsung. One in which they have more control over licensing fees and design. 

If MS or Sony want any Nintendo action, they are going to have to bend over backwards and give Nintendo a ridiculously sweet deal. 

LOL Google? Apple? Samsung? HA like that will ever happen. If NX fails Nintendo will be the one bending over for Playstation and mabye Xbox.

Of course, they would sell more software and make more money if their games were on all current gen platforms. Their games are marketed towards kids and casuals. Their hardware is the bottleneck to higher software sales and profits. If their hardware does poorly then their software sales wouldn't do what well.

lionpetercarmoo said:
Soundwave said:

LOL Google? Apple? Samsung? HA like that will ever happen. If NX fails Nintendo will be the one bending over for Playstation and mabye Xbox.

They could go to Google or Apple right now and get a deal, I'd gauruntee it. Hell I think MS would let them handle the Scorpio right now if the deal fit certain parameters. 

Disney would also likely be in on the bidding. Facebook would probably be another very interested party. Everyone is seeing Pokemon Go go through the roof and it puts Nintendo in a very different position. 

Nintendo is in a far, far different position from Sega, they don't need to beg anyone for shit, they have a lot of money to make in the next 5 years NX or not and zero debt. Their stock price and market cap will as soon as this week be higher than all of Sony. 

That's the power of their IP. If I'm Nintendo and Sony/MS want my games, I make them jump through every hoop and if they say no, fine, great, we'll just go take a meeting with Apple. When you change your underwear upon hearing that Sony/MS you can call us back and maybe we'll pick up. 

Nintendo could opening streaming gaming service, on all platforms, ps4, Xbox, PC, internet box, Apple TV....