By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo having all their games available everywhere a better business than restricting them to a console?

Could Nintendo make more money by having their software everywhere?

Yes 171 42.86%

No 188 47.12%

I have no idea. 40 10.03%

Total:399
RolStoppable said:
Lrdfancypants said:
Why is it always Nintendo should go third party? They seem to be the only ones called upon to do so.

Their games are in demand.

I almost stated it really is more of a compliment it seems to me that people constantly scream for them to go third party. 

I don't see the others get that demand.  They usually say they want them to leave console gaming but I never see it followed by going third party, just leave. Ha. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Around the Network

No.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Miguel_Zorro said:

It appears to me that there are a few groups circling around this.  Hard core Nintendo fans who don't want them to go third party because they see going third party as a failure for some reason, Nintendo haters who want Nintendo to go third party because they see it as a failure, and a small group of people who are willing to discuss the legimate pros and cons.

FloatingWaffles said:

Nintendo isn't going to give up making consoles even if the NX fails like the Wii U did. Their hardware, even when it doesn't sell that well, still earns them a ton of profit just from software alone because their games sell that amazingly. 

That almost sounds like an argument to go third party.

FloatingWaffles said:

There was an article a while ago as well that even said about how even if Nintendo took a loss every single year they would still be able to survive and be fine until the year 2052, that's how much money they have. I don't think you can say the same thing about Microsoft or Sony, especially Sony considering all the debt they owe.

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

I was impressed with Nintendo's cash on hand when that article came out in February 2012, Nintendo had 818.8 Billion Yen in the bank.

By March 31, 2012, they had 407 Billion Yen in the bank.

By March 31, 2013, they were back up to 469 Billion Yen

By March 31, 2014, down to 341 Billion Yen

By March 31, 2015, down to 281 Billion Yen

By March 31, 2016 down to 258 Billion Yen

So 68% of that cash on hand that was supposed to last until 2052 is gone.  Which is actually meaningless if you really understand cash flow.

Ultimately, the decision should come down to this - will Nintendo be more profitable over the long term as a third party game publisher, or as a console manufacturer/1st party publisher.  My math on that decision consists of estimating the incremental third party sales, subtracting out any console profit, and substracting out any royalties as a platform owner.  Those estimates will vary wildly, but for most people in the case of the WiiU they should lean to the third party decision, but perhaps not in the case of the Wii, where they made a lot of money on the console itself.

I don't see how it can be seen as an argument for them to go third party at all, it's the exact opposite. What I meant was, all the people saying "Nintendo should go third party becuse their hardware sales are doing bad right now" don't seem to realize that even with a console that is a failure saleswise for Nintendo, they make it back up and more with software sales. So it shows that they are still better on their own hardware, even that hardware itself is not selling tremendously the software makes up for it.

I don't understand the whole logic or question of "Will Nintendo be more profitable as if they went third party or sold their own hardware", because the same things can exactly be said more Microsoft, Sony, or any other company. If any company releases games on every single platform of course they will all make more sales. that's an obvious yes answer. Why do you think Minecraft is as big as it is today? I don't know why people seem to specifically call that question to Nintendo most of the time, when it's the same for all companies, people just really want to play Nintendo games without buying the hardware I guess.

As of right now it's too soon to jump to a conclusion anyway, you would have to wait a few years at the very least and see how this all works out. 

Lrdfancypants said:
RolStoppable said:

Their games are in demand.

I almost stated it really is more of a compliment it seems to me that people constantly scream for them to go third party. 

I don't see the others get that demand.  They usually say they want them to leave console gaming but I never see it followed by going third party, just leave. Ha. 

the other consoles generally sell much better, should be obvious. You wouldnt tell someone winnng a race to drop out.

Of course they could. But so could Sony/MS. That doesn't change that these kinds of threads are still a veiled form of so-called "port begging". Nintendo dedicated consoles aren't going anywhere. If you want to play their games, go buy their systems.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Lrdfancypants said:

the other consoles generally sell much better, should be obvious. You wouldnt tell someone winnng a race to drop out.

Do Sony/Microsoft generally sell much more hardware?

PS2+XB+PSP+360+PS3+Vita+XBO+PS4=510~ million

GBA+GC+DS+Wii+3DS+Wii U=430~ million

Nintendo has sold a comparable amount of hardware to Sony & Microsoft combined since all 3 have been in the game.

And dont say, "but thats only if you include handhelds" because this discussion is about Nintendo going 3rd party and you cant exclude a major part of their hardware sales when discussing them getting out of the hardware business.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

Nintendo has sold a comparable amount of hardware to Sony & Microsoft combined since all 3 have been in the game.

And dont say, "but thats only if you include handhelds" because this discussion is about Nintendo going 3rd party and you cant exclude a major part of their hardware sales when discussing them getting out of the hardware business.

They never include handhelds. Weird as that drives software and hardware sales for nintendo. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Lrdfancypants said:
zorg1000 said:

They never include handhelds. Weird as that drives software and hardware sales for nintendo. 

ya its best to exclude things that contradict your point.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miguel_Zorro said:
FloatingWaffles said:

I don't understand the whole logic or question of "Will Nintendo be more profitable as if they went third party or sold their own hardware", because the same things can exactly be said more Microsoft, Sony, or any other company. If any company releases games on every single platform of course they will all make more sales. that's an obvious yes answer. Why do you think Minecraft is as big as it is today? I don't know why people seem to specifically call that question to Nintendo most of the time, when it's the same for all companies, people just really want to play Nintendo games without buying the hardware I guess.

As of right now it's too soon to jump to a conclusion anyway, you would have to wait a few years at the very least and see how this all works out. 

People suggest that Nintendo should go third party before the others because Nintendo has the most successful intellectual property with the potential to sell well on other consoles.  Also, most game sales on Nintendo consoles are Nintendo games (73% for the WiiU, 60% for the Wii).  Most game sales on XBox/Sony consoles are third party games.

Like ive said, you cant just assume that Nintendo IP will do vastly better by being on PS/XB. We have seen many times that bigger install base does not automatically mean bigger sales.

Mario 64, Galaxy & 3D Land have sold around 10-12  million, thats on devices with 30-100 million install bases. Sunshine, Galaxy 2 & 3D World have also sold similar amounts.

Pokemon has sold pretty consistent for about 15 years now, the mainline titles have sold about 15-17 million while remakes have sold about 10-12 million & expansions have sold about 6-8 million. Thats on devices with 60-155 million install bases.

Animal Crossing has sold a similar amount on DS & 3DS, devices with an 80+ million gap.

Metroid II, Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, Prime 2, Prime 3, Hunters, Other M have all sold around 1.5 million give or take on devices ranging from 20-155 million. Prime is the best selling in the series on a 20 million install base.

With the exception of the first title, Kirby has sold a pretty consistent 2 million give or take on GB/NES/SNES/N64/GBA/DS/Wii/3DS.

The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess all sold about 7 million despite vastly different install bases. Zelda II, Link to the Past, Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword all sold near 4 million.

Then we also have to take into account demographics. According to this site, about 3/4 of all retail sales on PS4/XBO come from the shooter, sports & action genres. Can we really expect the online shooter/open world action/annual sports crowd to start buying things like Kirby, Mario Party, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Rhythm Heaven, Fossil Fighters, Paper Mario, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Yoshi, Captain Toad, etc?

I honestly dont see most Nintendo games having a big enough increase for it to be worthwhile. Ya some games like mainline Mario, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario Kart might do really well but is that worth it if most of their titles see little to no increase?

^ Add to the possibility of Nintendo no longer interested in reviving older series if they go third party. Would Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Rhythm Heaven, WarioWare, Golden Sun, Nintendo Wars (Famicon and Advance), Pilotwings, Star Fox, Pikmin, and Punch Out! get a greater chance of sequels or revivals if they no longer were under the first party umbrella of Nintendo? Granted, Nintendo has been criticized for their lack of utilization of these other IPs, but it would be hard to imagine them thinking of making a KI or a Punch Out! sequel with them as a third party because they would be thinned out.