By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 'Captain America: Civil War' Review Thread - 90% RT/75 MC score - WW BO = $991.0M/DOM = $314.2M

Areym said:
Lawlight said:
So, so far, we've only got reviews from people who were invited to the premieres?

There are some indepedent reviewers on Youtube, like Jeremy Jahns, who have also seen the movie and reviewed accordingly. It's not saying much but i guess some people probably got some connections and got to see it early. Winter Soldier was pretty damn good, so I can't imagine this movie dissapointing than that and critics agree. I don't think there is a bias or these people were held at gun point to give good reviews just cause they got to see it early, if that is what you are implying. 

He's not independent if he was invited to one of the premieres. Winter Soldier was a big let down for me - very slow with too few action sequences and the ones that there were were shaky cam ones. I hope they got rid of the shaky cam in this one.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Areym said:

There are some indepedent reviewers on Youtube, like Jeremy Jahns, who have also seen the movie and reviewed accordingly. It's not saying much but i guess some people probably got some connections and got to see it early. Winter Soldier was pretty damn good, so I can't imagine this movie dissapointing than that and critics agree. I don't think there is a bias or these people were held at gun point to give good reviews just cause they got to see it early, if that is what you are implying. 

He's not independent if he was invited to one of the premieres. Winter Soldier was a big let down for me - very slow with too few action sequences and the ones that there were were shaky cam ones. I hope they got rid of the shaky cam in this one.

Well, he only works for himself and he's just a youtuber (albeit the biggest movie review channel), I highlighted doubt he was invited to a premiere.

I'm surprised you didn't like the Winter Soldier, I thought it was fantastic. Great pacing, letting viewers rest up before going back into the action. Too much action can be detrimental and frankly, tiring. It's also miles ahead the first Captain America movie with just a much more involved plot.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
Lawlight said:

Well, he only works for himself and he's just a youtuber (albeit the biggest movie review channel), I highlighted doubt he was invited to a premiere.

I'm surprised you didn't like the Winter Soldier, I thought it was fantastic. Great pacing, letting viewers rest up before going back into the action. Too much action can be detrimental and frankly, tiring. It's also miles ahead the first Captain America movie with just a much more involved plot.

I agree about having too much action but the action scenes in TWS didn't reach a satisfying high which made the movie feel slow. And in between the few action sequences, there were huge chunks of uninteresting dialog. Look at The Dark Knight for example - so many fun and memorable scenes where people were just talking. The boat segment was good but poorly edited - they kept cutting the action to unnecessary scenes of the hostages. That was very frustrating. And the Winter Soldier never felt like a threat - he was always getting his ass kicked by Cap. And movies like The Raid showed you how hand to hand combat is done properly - they should learn from that.

7 new reviews added on RT overnight. Fresh rating went up a percentage while avg rating remained steady. MC had another 2 reviews added but one was a 'mixed' review so it dropped down 2 points.

I thought TWS was great. In terms of comic books, it easily has the best hand to hand combat. Apparently they've upped the hand to hand combat in CW so we'll see how that plays out. It's part of why I had so much faith with the Russo's directing CW. They just get it.

PS4/PS3/PC/3DS Owner (Will buy a Switch when mainline Pokemon game is released)

Need more legit reviews like the 60 and 80 on Metacritic added yesterday. Those 5 star reviews aren't convincing especially Drew McWeeny's and who I kinda get annoyed with most of the time.

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
I may be slightly biased, but I think this movie is gonna be awesome. Then again all the critics are paid by Disney apparently so what do review scores matter? Freakin fanboys

Then again all the critics are paid by Disney apparently so what do review scores matter?  Any proof to debunk that either?

GameAnalyser said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
I may be slightly biased, but I think this movie is gonna be awesome. Then again all the critics are paid by Disney apparently so what do review scores matter? Freakin fanboys

Then again all the critics are paid by Disney apparently so what do review scores matter?  Any proof to debunk that either?

Burden of proof lies on those making a claim, not the ones who dispute it...

One week until I'm sat in the cinema ready to watch it.

Excited!

Lawlight said:
pic.twitter.com/qsaIOOwH5i

And Collider loved the movie, right? Makes you wonder...

I can't believe I missed this. This post has two major issues. The first issue is you are posting something from Grace Rudolph, who was fired from Marvel and has an axe to grind. The biggest problem is that John Campea, the critic in the photo, has been one of the biggest defenders of Batman v Superman. He is one of the few critics that thought it was a good movie. He went on Screen Junkies, argued for Batman v Superman, and won.

This is why I have a hard time talking people with "critics are biased against DC" mantra seriously. When you rely on someone with a clear Marvel bias for your information you theory has problems. Especially when that person goes on a rant that attacks one the biggest defenders of BvS. To make matters worse, Campea considers Man of Steel to be a masterpiece. So this example of bias against DC likes BvS and loves MoS. You may want to reconsider your position.

Teeqoz said:
GameAnalyser said:

Burden of proof lies on those making a claim, not the ones who dispute it...

One should never go through that burden. The problem being is that the fans who claimed it are not convinced with debunking of reviews via studio bribe. So that's the hitch. They will continue to rant on.  

BvS was an okay movie to me with plot issues. My personal view is that the team of predisposed critics who didn't like MOS either and completely trashed the dark tone and no humor by Snyder are pretty huge in number. The higher audience score relative to critics' consensus have occured in a similar fashion before BvS. Blade-1998 is a clear cut example of this. Although I completely consider those bribe claims as nefarious and rude, there are movies that deserve more than getting trashed in a way. BvS is no exception.