By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 'Captain America: Civil War' Review Thread - 90% RT/75 MC score - WW BO = $991.0M/DOM = $314.2M

Darc Requiem said:
Lawlight said:
pic.twitter.com/qsaIOOwH5i

And Collider loved the movie, right? Makes you wonder...

I can't believe I missed this. This post has two major issues. The first issue is you are posting something from Grace Rudolph, who was fired from Marvel and has an axe to grind. The biggest problem is that John Campea, the critic in the photo, has been one of the biggest defenders of Batman v Superman. He is one of the few critics that thought it was a good movie. He went on Screen Junkies, argued for Batman v Superman, and won.

This is why I have a hard time talking people with "critics are biased against DC" mantra seriously. When you rely on someone with a clear Marvel bias for your information you theory has problems. Especially when that person goes on a rant that attacks one the biggest defenders of BvS. To make matters worse, Campea considers Man of Steel to be a masterpiece. So this example of bias against DC likes BvS and loves MoS. You may want to reconsider your position.

That's a strawman if I ever saw one. It doesn't change anything from the fact that Collider's founder was invited to the premiere of the movie. There's no chance that Collider would have given it anything but an amazing score. They have a special relationship with Disney and, as such, should make that disclaimer before reviewing the movie.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
GameAnalyser said:

Then again all the critics are paid by Disney apparently so what do review scores matter?  Any proof to debunk that either?

Burden of proof lies on those making a claim, not the ones who dispute it...

my fellow Ratchet and Clank fan gets it!

I am Iron Man

Lawlight said:
Darc Requiem said:

I can't believe I missed this. This post has two major issues. The first issue is you are posting something from Grace Rudolph, who was fired from Marvel and has an axe to grind. The biggest problem is that John Campea, the critic in the photo, has been one of the biggest defenders of Batman v Superman. He is one of the few critics that thought it was a good movie. He went on Screen Junkies, argued for Batman v Superman, and won.

This is why I have a hard time talking people with "critics are biased against DC" mantra seriously. When you rely on someone with a clear Marvel bias for your information you theory has problems. Especially when that person goes on a rant that attacks one the biggest defenders of BvS. To make matters worse, Campea considers Man of Steel to be a masterpiece. So this example of bias against DC likes BvS and loves MoS. You may want to reconsider your position.

That's a strawman if I ever saw one. It doesn't change anything from the fact that Collider's founder was invited to the premiere of the movie. There's no chance that Collider would have given it anything but an amazing score. They have a special relationship with Disney and, as such, should make that disclaimer before reviewing the movie.

You know you really should research these things. Because Collider and the critic in question also saw BvS early. The Collider crew gets to see virtually every movie early. Because of huge following they developed at AMC Movie Talk, they get special privileges from all the major studios.

You, like Grace Rudolph, are cherry picking and frankly doing a poor job of it. The focus of the tweet you referenced was a critic that likes the movie. Calling someone that likes a product a hater of said product is poor form at best. If you are going pose a theory, at least do cursory research and not undermine your own argument with evidence that doesn't support your view.

The only person on Collider Movie talk that gave BvS terrible marks was John Schnepp. Campea and Ellis liked the movie and Harloff thought it was okay. Of course those facts undercut you point. 

Darc Requiem said:
Lawlight said:

You know you really should research these things. Because Collider and the critic in question also saw BvS early. The Collider crew gets to see virtually every movie early. Because of huge following they developed at AMC Movie Talk, they get special privileges from all the major studios.

You, like Grace Rudolph, are cherry picking and frankly doing a poor job of it. The focus of the tweet you referenced was a critic that likes the movie. Calling someone that likes a product a hater of said product is poor form at best. If you are going pose a theory, at least do cursory research and not undermine your own argument with evidence that doesn't support your view.

The only person on Collider Movie talk that gave BvS terrible marks was John Schnepp. Campea and Ellis liked the movie and Harloff thought it was okay. Of course those facts undercut you point. 

Another strawman. Bringing Grace Randolph and BvS in the discussion. They get special privileges you say? Sounds like conflict of interest to me. I'll wait for independent reviewers' reviews to come out. Not saying the movie will be bad - just that you can't trust the reviews so far.

Lawlight said:
So, so far, we've only got reviews from people who were invited to the premieres?

Considering the movie isn't out yet....DUUUUUHHHHHHHH...

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Darc Requiem said:

Another strawman. Bringing Grace Randolph and BvS in the discussion. They get special privileges you say? Sounds like conflict of interest to me. I'll wait for independent reviewers' reviews to come out. Not saying the movie will be bad - just that you can't trust the reviews so far.

You brought her into situation. You posted the tweet. What is your deal? You know what. I'm done wasting my time. Think what you will. I lack the patience to deal with people with confirmation bias issues. 

Darc Requiem said:
Lawlight said:

You brought her into situation. You posted the tweet. What is your deal? You know what. I'm done wasting my time. Think what you will. I lack the patience to deal with people with confirmation bias issues. 

Doesn't matter what the source is. The point is that we haven't got reviews from unbiased sources yet.

Lawlight said:
Darc Requiem said:

Doesn't matter what the source is. The point is that we haven't got reviews from unbiased sources yet.

It does matter what the source is when you accuse me of bringing the source into the argument when you did.

It's still got a long way to go before it can be guaranteed to have a RT score above 90, but 37 out of 38 reviews being fresh and still averaging 8.3/10 is damn good. Dis' ting gonna be uuuuge!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Is it possible the reviews so far have been bought by D/M? Sure, anything is possible. But where's the actual evidence of it? Do we have evidence that those particular reviewers have given higher than average scores for movies to which they've been invited to the premier compared to movies where they have not been invited to, or gone to, the premier?

D/M would have focus tested the movie before premiering it, and if the focus test was not great they would have slapped a review embargo on the people who got to see the movie before release. The fact D/M allowed reviews to come out 2 weeks ahead of release indicates confidence in the movie. Is an invitation to a premier going to make someone who would give the movie a 3 or 4 /10 under normal circumstances give it a 6 or 7/10? No. It might make someone who would give the movie a 5 (a rotten score) give it a 6 instead, but equally that person isn't going to go giving the movie an 8/10. IMO if there is a premier bias then it will be more like the true level of the movie being at about 80% with an average of 7/10. Which is still a great result. Any bias that exists isn't going to make a

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix