By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We need to talk about Superman for a second..(Batman vs Superman spoilers)

Okay.

I don't know where to begin. There's like 70+ years of Superman lore (1938-2016) so I can understand people not getting everything right. I'm no expert, myself. Just a comics fan. There are comics depicting Superman as "out if touch", " out of control ", and morally grey. In some interpretations an alien, holding back, pretending to be a human. In others, he's just a big, naïve farm boy. In the iconic " Kingdom Come " he couldn't even decide what was best for humanity because he was never really human.

People look at the movie and say "They got it wrong because Superman blah, blah, blah." They got it right because they went with the Superman from some amazing stories that mainstream audiences (movie goers) aren't familiar with. Even the animation has differ versions.

Watch Superman vs The Elite. Great version of a naïve Superman faced with some morally ambiguous anti heroes. Read "Infinite Crisis" where Batman tells Superman that the only time he's inspired somebody was "When you were dead." Look at the battle between Superman and Black rock where Superman didn't hold back and the citizens of Metropolis were afraid of him because of how easily he could have destroyed the city.

People hate MoS and BvS because he isn't the Superman that they know (amongst other issues) but he's a version of Superman that I know. A man with power just trying to do right without exactly knowing what he SHOULD do.

Around the Network

Posting again.

I remember in 1992 when DC killed Superman. They said it was always easy to kill him but hen what? They weren't going to kill him until they had the right story.

Superman's death at the hands of some motiveless random generic creature was just the beginning of the story, not THE story! The real story was the world without a Superman, the funeral for a friend, the reign of the Supermen, and his inevitable return! The "Doomsday" storyline didn't have any story whatsoever. It was just a big fight in anticipation the guy we never thought could die actually died.

We know in BvS Superman was coming back. The last shot was unmistakable. The real story is what happens next. Like Star Wars VII, it's just the next chapter in a series but also a stand alone film. There are questions. Those questions will be answered. Be patient.

Where does that leave people like me that loved the Man of Steel but don't like Batman v Superman?

Darc Requiem said:
Where does that leave people like me that loved the Man of Steel but don't like Batman v Superman?

Ya I'm in the same boat. Love MoS, but BvS was just ok to me. Some very cool moments in there, but also a lot of stuff that just either doesn't work or is flat out terrible.

d21lewis said:
Skipping every post so far: The world thinks Superman is dead. They saw him die. He might not have any powers or may be underpowered.

I think the next time we see him, the story is going to be about Clark living a normal life and deciding if it's worth it to come back. Or it'll be about how the world needs a Superman and people trying to bring him back.... if they can find him.

Clark is dead. Thats the reason you saw his obituary in the news paper and two funerals. Just expect Superman, pretty much from the next movie. No more alter egos.

Around the Network

Thing is I watched Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Henry Cavill can be a lot more charming, I think this is just poor writing, he's not given a lot to work with in these Superman movies.

The writing for Lois/Clark is really bad too, I don't know if there's been less chemistry between those two characters before.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
d21lewis said:
Skipping every post so far: The world thinks Superman is dead. They saw him die. He might not have any powers or may be underpowered.

I think the next time we see him, the story is going to be about Clark living a normal life and deciding if it's worth it to come back. Or it'll be about how the world needs a Superman and people trying to bring him back.... if they can find him.

Clark is dead. Thats the reason you saw his obituary in the news paper and two funerals. Just expect Superman, pretty much from the next movie. No more alter egos.

Nah. Clark died it the comics, too. They found him living in the cellar of some abandoned building eating canned food. Said he got buried in the rubble of the Doomsday fight.

Superman is dead. Clark will live.

Soundwave said:
Thing is I watched Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Henry Cavill can be a lot more charming, I think this is just poor writing, he's not given a lot to work with in these Superman movies.

The writing for Lois/Clark is really bad too, I don't know if there's been less chemistry between those two characters before.

I've seen Cavill in other films, I agree. He's not the problem. BvS had a very talented cast for the most part, but they had little to work with. Even though I didn't like Eisenberg, I don't blame him. He didn't even audition for Lex Luthor, he auditioned for Jimmy Olsen.

I felt the character arc intended for Supes should have been dominant type rather than the embodiment of brooding(my world no more...no hope WTF?) for pretty much the whole time. Death of Superman arc was never going to work with a wider audience. It worked for me to an extent and I still give the movie a 7 out of 10.

EDIT: What worked for the movie was the older Batman's aggressiveness. That matched the character.  Wonderwoman was awesome just as my sig and that turned out to be the saving grace of the movie.  If this movie could have done far better among fans it should have exactly ripped off Miller's style and avoided that Doomsday climactic shit and instead used Wonderwoman offensiveness on Supes to protect Bats. I'd now compare this to MArvel's Iron Man 2.

d21lewis said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Nah. Clark died it the comics, too. They found him living in the cellar of some abandoned building eating canned food. Said he got buried in the rubble of the Doomsday fight.

Superman is dead. Clark will live.

At this point it wouldn't bother me if he was legitimately dead. They ruined his character and made him everyone's bitch before he died. Everyone from the military to doomsday had their way with him. In order to get people to care about supermans death you must succeed in building his character. I mean everyone was Luthors bitch until he got caught but the director did a shitty job of tying his plan unfolding to actual motivation. We were void of it for the whole movie.