By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We need to talk about Superman for a second..(Batman vs Superman spoilers)

In the end, Superman is a poorly constructed character that represents a period not our own. Some of his powers are ludicrous. If he were created today, he would be panned. He belongs to a time when "powers" were roughly the same as magic and no one tried to seriously explain them. He fits in better with Saturday morning cartoons from the 80's than with the DC Universe.

The real problem, though, is that he wasn't designed to play with others. He doesn't belong in a continuum with characters like Batman. It's like trying to wedge Goku into Gundam. Writers have to artificially mesh them together and bend logic so they can coexist. His inclusion with other characters will always cause problems and will probably always result in some people being unsatisfied. It's almost inevitable.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Hynad said:
The Superman in Batman V Superman is still pretty much a rookie. He is still figuring out what his place on earth should be as a super being.

The hope part will come.

The character of clark kent and superman was never truly humanized after two movies. His relationship with us on a philosophical and characrer building level really comes down to the fact that its his duty to protect humans since he has no other home. The actual superman in the comics can relate to other humans on an emotional and social level even though he has a boyscout attitude. The clark kent in this movie fails to understand why people keep misunderstanding him. Hes everyones I hate to say it...bitch. 

There was one truth about this movie that is inescapable. Its easier to make a relatable story for anti-heroes because they are flawed and are on a moral grey area like most people.

I think it was - at the end Supes accepted that Earth is his world now, which is why he sacrificed himself.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I dont think DC is necessarily darker, but in the realm of the justice league, batman is the only real dark and incosolably brooding member of the justice league. Marvel has many dark sagas where it seems like there is no hope. DC seems darker because the superhero most people grew up with via media content was batman. I think thats where the confusion sets in. The flash, cyborg, Green lantern, Arrow, wonderman...shazam even. These arent necessarily dark characters.

Maybe, I'm not as experienced with DC as I am Marvel. Reading X-men for 16 years, you can go through some really dark crap but the X-men are a family so there is always that light heartedness. From what DC I read, it seemed always dark in tone even if not all titles are 'dark'. Depends on the writer however. Flash is an exception, he's the Flash. He's the best.

Hmm, pie.

All these problems come from poorly written screenplay, not so much of how underdeveloped the Superman character is, which it still is, but that's not the point.
I have no issue with the dark tone DC is using if the product is good and works, which personally I don't think it's the case.

Did no one else notice the dirt from his casket raise up for a split second beforw the credits? He is not dead, or at least will not stay dead.

As for BvS, lets not talk about it. The movie is horrible as a whole.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I think the only way to rationalize the darkness of the DCCU is think of it as an Elseworld, one of the 52. Doesn't make them fun movies to watch, but it's just one of many interpretations of the DCU.

Batman was the problem in the film. He was just a whinny emo that envy Superman powers.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Skipping every post so far: The world thinks Superman is dead. They saw him die. He might not have any powers or may be underpowered.

I think the next time we see him, the story is going to be about Clark living a normal life and deciding if it's worth it to come back. Or it'll be about how the world needs a Superman and people trying to bring him back.... if they can find him.

Their Superman definitely needs to lighten up, so to speak. I don't really care that this darker, brooding version of him is rather removed from the comics tbh, it's just that it doesn't work very well when you're trying to set up this battle of Batman v Supes, night and day, etc etc....and they essentially come across as the same. It's dark v darker. There's no proper contrast there.

It's ok, if he's that way in a Justice League movie where all these different personalities balance out two broody, internally conflicted boys, but when it's really just the two of them.....that's just not a recipe for success. It's exhausting.

Perhaps they should have made Superman v Wonder Woman, as their vision of Wonder Woman clearly makes a much more compelling contrast. She's confident, intelligent, well trained, and most importantly she seems to revel in just about any kind of challenge. Comfortable (and even content) going head to head with Bruce Wayne playing James Bond, as she is fighting a monster like Doomsday. Also, that would have been a fight that Superman might have seriously walked away learning something from. So far he's been relying purely on his brute strength and speed, because he's only fought two beings that could match him. He doesn't really know how to fight properly at all. A Supes v WW movie could have ended with her taking him somewhere to train and learn to better harness all that raw potential he has. This way they also could have temporarily removed the two most powerful beings for Batman to assemble the rest of the Justice League without wasting the death of Superman (cus you only get to play that card once).

And all that's not even touching the utter mess that was Lex Luther in this movie.

Lawlight said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The character of clark kent and superman was never truly humanized after two movies. His relationship with us on a philosophical and characrer building level really comes down to the fact that its his duty to protect humans since he has no other home. The actual superman in the comics can relate to other humans on an emotional and social level even though he has a boyscout attitude. The clark kent in this movie fails to understand why people keep misunderstanding him. Hes everyones I hate to say it...bitch. 

There was one truth about this movie that is inescapable. Its easier to make a relatable story for anti-heroes because they are flawed and are on a moral grey area like most people.

I think it was - at the end Supes accepted that Earth is his world now, which is why he sacrificed himself.

He did that in Man of Steel when he chose Earth and humanity over his own people. Superman got zero character development in this movie. Having to kill him because "he's too powerful" makes no sense unless they nerfed the hell out of Wonder Woman.