By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We need to talk about Superman for a second..(Batman vs Superman spoilers)

Neodegenerate said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly. They dont need superman. Wonder Woman was the first person in the group to draw first blood on Doomsday to begin with.

I thought Wonder Woman was great in the film.  I initially had an issue with how little development and screen time she had, but with her movie coming out next after Suicide Squad it makes sense.

A while back I was at a comic-con panel with one of DC's writers and he mentioned that in the writing room they have this unspoken thing called "The Superman Dilemma."  What it essentially boils down to is "how do we keep Superman out of this fight to keep it interesting enough to tell the story?"  When the Justice League goes up against Darkseid or Doomsday, no problem.  Superman needs to be there the whole time as they are Gods/Kryptonians in their own right.  When they are up against someone with a little less power, like say Eclipso, Superman could just finish the fight in about 5 seconds.  So, how do you keep him out of it?  In this cinematic universe, killing him for a bit certainly solves that dilemma for them.  Now they can build the Justice League and show them doing well, then have Darksied or someone show up, and Supes comes in and save the day after all hope is lost.

My only hope is that the resurrected Superman has less angst and more hope himself.  I enjoy the look of Cavill as Superman, but after two movies the feel of him as Superman is starting to wear on me.

LOL I guess death is the only way superman can reflect on how badly his situation is. 

Around the Network
Hynad said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I understand that he was unsuspecting and I understand the universe hes in. It makes sense that a matured and psychotic batman batman would whip his ass. Better yet when he comes back to life put him to work against outsiders. LOL Ive never seen superman being anyones bitch beyond his control other than now.

I don't think you are using the expression "anyone's bitch" properly... 

In any case, I don't feel like explaining the entire movie to you, so I'll stop here and go catch some sleep.

Anyone who had a gripe with Superman had their way with him in the movie (one way or another). There was no vidication after learning a lesson or a fall. It was essentially akin to the passion of the christ watching christs final hours. Supermans relationship with humans will have to gain some meaning, as he still hasnt reflected upon it well enough to call it character growth in two movies. Rather than relating to humans he still sees them as beings to protect.There is no spectrum of morality outside of black and white. Everyone but superman understand the concept of a moral grey area, even his own father who out of fear and love wanted to hide clark from the world and accepted death to achieve that level of secrecy.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Who can the worlds most powerful man defend the earth from? 

Few things, it seems DC are going down a darker route that Marvel in their film adaptions. I guess they've done light hearted in their cartoons, films are the place to go for darker themes and in a way, while Marvel have always been more down to earth, they've also always been 'brighter' so to speak, DC is generally darker (ignoring the racism parrallels of X-men obviously... when they aren't having a game of baseball).

And in answering this question, Darkseid. Yet DC's issues still come from the power these people possess. Batman is the only 'human' in the JL in reality. A alien more powerful than anyone, a god woman, a guy who runs faster than anyway, a fish, a guy who can fly through space and create anything he wants from his mind. They are god characters and need a god like villain else people will just think 'Why doesn't Superman just punch him and end it?'

EDIT: This what you were getting at? Confused by the subject.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Who can the worlds most powerful man defend the earth from? 

Few things, it seems DC are going down a darker route that Marvel in their film adaptions. I guess they've done light hearted in their cartoons, films are the place to go for darker themes and in a way, while Marvel have always been more down to earth, they've also always been 'brighter' so to speak, DC is generally darker (ignoring the racism parrallels of X-men obviously... when they aren't having a game of baseball).

And in answering this question, Darkseid. Yet DC's issues still come from the power these people possess. Batman is the only 'human' in the JL in reality. A alien more powerful than anyone, a god woman, a guy who runs faster than anyway, a fish, a guy who can fly through space and create anything he wants from his mind. They are god characters and need a god like villain else people will just think 'Why doesn't Superman just punch him and end it?'

EDIT: This what you were getting at? Confused by the subject.

I dont think DC is necessarily darker, but in the realm of the justice league, batman is the only real dark and incosolably brooding member of the justice league. Marvel has many dark sagas where it seems like there is no hope. DC seems darker because the superhero most people grew up with via media content was batman. I think thats where the confusion sets in. The flash, cyborg, Green lantern, Arrow, wonderman...shazam even. These arent necessarily dark characters.

Zack Snyder actually addressed this in an interview (of which I'm trying to track down in my history but can't seem to remember if I watched it on a computer or phone).

Basically, the question was asked by the interviewer how Snyder plans to address the long held and popular opinion (particularly of non-Superman fans) that Superman is boring; he's a boyscout; he's overpowered - he's perfect.

Snyder responded more or less by saying he's aware of those opinions held by many and wanted to address them with his version of Superman. He wanted Superman to feel more grounded and more conflicted in what he does so we, the audience, can connect with him more.

Again, that's paraphrasing, but that was his answer as I recall from the interview. Doesn't matter who likes that answer or doesn't, it's true that the biggest reason why people don't like Superman is because he's deemed too powerful. Perhaps that's a lame reason, or not, it doesn't matter because I've seen, heard, and read from people who've said that.

So, you could say that Snyder is simply trying to make Superman more human emotionally and mentally - something a little different from the other Superman variations.

If I find that interview I'll post it, but I promise it's out there if anyone else knows what I'm talking about. I'm wanting to say it was an IGN interview (which IGN has done an outstanding job of degrading BvS).

Around the Network
Okie_Loki said:
Zack Snyder actually addressed this in an interview (of which I'm trying to track down in my history but can't seem to remember if I watched it on a computer or phone).

Basically, the question was asked by the interviewer how Snyder plans to address the long held and popular opinion (particularly of non-Superman fans) that Superman is boring; he's a boyscout; he's overpowered - he's perfect.

Snyder responded more or less by saying he's aware of those opinions held by many and wanted to address them with his version of Superman. He wanted Superman to feel more grounded and more conflicted in what he does so we, the audience, can connect with him more.

Again, that's paraphrasing, but that was his answer as I recall from the interview. Doesn't matter who likes that answer or doesn't, it's true that the biggest reason why people don't like Superman is because he's deemed too powerful. Perhaps that's a lame reason, or not, it doesn't matter because I've seen, heard, and read from people who've said that.

So, you could say that Snyder is simply trying to make Superman more human emotionally and mentally - something a little different from the other Superman variations.

If I find that interview I'll post it, but I promise it's out there if anyone else knows what I'm talking about. I'm wanting to say it was an IGN interview (which IGN has done an outstanding job of degrading BvS).

There was nothing deep or philosophical about this superman. He was grounded though...six feet under to make room for the characters with depth.

I loved both Batman and Superman on this movie. Specially Batman who finally kills people, because IMO if you just bust people like the joker knowing that they'll escape and kill again you are as guilty as them.

Also don't worry sups is not dead as we can see in the end of the movie so he'll have his "hope" thing.

Double post.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Okie_Loki said:

There was nothing deep or philosophical about this superman. He was grounded though...six feet under to make room for the characters with depth.

Funny thing about it is that the movie was arguably one of the most philosophical superhero movies ever. The entire first half of the movie is sprinkled with conversations about religion, myth, politics, and general questions over God's (let's argue that Superman was God or at least perceived to be a god) active role in society.

As for Superman himself, I tend to agree with your statement. He was lost in the shadow and I think the irony that Affleck was billed first is a cynical way of showcasing the Superman to the second seat overall in the movie. It was like his character was lingering somewhere in the shadows and you waited for it to pop out at any time. 

Okie_Loki said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Funny thing about it is that the movie was arguably one of the most philosophical superhero movies ever. The entire first half of the movie is sprinkled with conversations about religion, myth, politics, and general questions over God's (let's argue that Superman was God or at least perceived to be a god) active role in society.

As for Superman himself, I tend to agree with your statement. He was lost in the shadow and I think the irony that Affleck was billed first is a cynical way of showcasing the Superman to the second seat overall in the movie. It was like his character was lingering somewhere in the shadows and you waited for it to pop out at any time. 

It was moreso the pretention of being philosophical. Lex Luthor spoke but really got nowhere with his rants. He spoke down to everyone he talked to and none of his plots were visible. We all know he led batman to the kryptonite by snyder did a terrible job of putting the pieces together for the common person. In the end we find out one of the most spoilerriffic and crucial scenes to this movie was cut away for a rated R rendition. Just a terribly rushed script. I literally had to tell my friends that lex planted the kryptonite for batman to find it which is why when batman found it there was no response for lex. Also, lex wanted him to use it to kill superman. 

Watchmen actually questioned philosophical nature of life and one who has powers connection to the world. Even Xmen Days of future past and first class questioned the morality of man by using the civil rights movement as a backdrop. Even captain america contemplated the concept of working with a god and came to the conclusion that there is only one god when he stood next to thor and squared up against loki who demanded worship. Still to this day loki has some of the greatest almost theateresque monologues about power of one being over the other. Hell...even ulton had more philosophy in one pinky than lex luthor. 

Superman still hasnt come to terms with his humanity and death should not have to sold that problem. Living on earth for thirty years should do the trick. Instead of learning from his mistakes and problems he was hidden away like a shut in and protected. The only profound thing that Superman learned in MOS was that with great power comes great responsibility which means you cannot stoop as low as humans. In order to achieve the result needed you must be above them (instead of relating).

Did you read the quote I left from snyder?