By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We need to talk about Superman for a second..(Batman vs Superman spoilers)

GameAnalyser said:
I felt the character arc intended for Supes should have been dominant type rather than embodiment of brooding(my world no more...no hope WTF?) for pretty much the whole time. Death of Superman arc was never going to work with a wider audience.

What an awesome gif.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
GameAnalyser said:
I felt the character arc intended for Supes should have been dominant type rather than embodiment of brooding(my world no more...no hope WTF?) for pretty much the whole time. Death of Superman arc was never going to work with a wider audience.

What an awesome gif.

Exactly. She brought the pain.

d21lewis said:

Posting again.

I remember in 1992 when DC killed Superman. They said it was always easy to kill him but hen what? They weren't going to kill him until they had the right story.

Superman's death at the hands of some motiveless random generic creature was just the beginning of the story, not THE story! The real story was the world without a Superman, the funeral for a friend, the reign of the Supermen, and his inevitable return! The "Doomsday" storyline didn't have any story whatsoever. It was just a big fight in anticipation the guy we never thought could die actually died.

We know in BvS Superman was coming back. The last shot was unmistakable. The real story is what happens next. Like Star Wars VII, it's just the next chapter in a series but also a stand alone film. There are questions. Those questions will be answered. Be patient.

Movies work differently. A Crowd in a theater have a shorter amount of time to get to know a character. Most of the people who watch the movie vaguely understand the concept of superman and his persona. In order to get them to understand superman on screen you must find ways to humanize him. For thirty years on earth displayed in man of steel he was not humanized but we got to see him grow into the person who his parents wanted him to become which is a protector who will be misunderstood and thus needed to be intellectually shielded.

in a movie the best way to have people care about a pending death is to build up their value before you take the character from the people. I believe marvel will use this methodology for captain America.

Just do as I do. Buy the first two Reeve Superman movies and pretend that there has never been another Superman movie made.

In my opinion, there hasn't.

Soundwave said:
To be honest the idea of the Justice League forming because of Superman being killed makes quite a bit of sense logically (as much "logic" as you can have in such a universe).

I think the movie simply had more basic plotting issues than that and I think the characterization of Batman is actually worse than Superman. Superman's still generally a good guy, Batman is basically a psychopath-meets-Punisher full out though.

and Superman is a freaking mute in public who could easily win people over if he wasn't so awkwardly silent to everyone but Lois.  Just make him like the animated version.  DC has such a freaking great template yet they keep screwing it all up just to try to go different from Marvel at every turn.

I am Iron Man

Around the Network

Personally I'm ok with DC's "dark" tone in their cinematic universe, mainly because their T.V. universe is the opposite so I can enjoy both tones (the same goes for marvel, but it's funny because in their case the T.V. universe has the "dark" tone and the movies are the opposite).

I will say DC can do things better, and that applies to Superman as well. While I do like what they are trying to do with him I feel like the execution hasn't been good. Henry Calvin can be a good Superman but he hasn't been well written (and Batman v Superman felt rushed, and that applies to both the story and the character development)

And Superman is not dead, he'll be back,

Mike321 said:
Personally I'm ok with DC's "dark" tone in their cinematic universe, mainly because their T.V. universe is the opposite so I can enjoy both tones (the same goes for marvel, but it's funny because in their case the T.V. universe has the "dark" tone and the movies are the opposite).

I will say DC can do things better, and that applies to Superman as well. While I do like what they are trying to do with him I feel like the execution hasn't been good. Henry Calvin can be a good Superman but he hasn't been well written (and Batman v Superman felt rushed, and that applies to both the story and the character development)

And Superman is not dead, he'll be back,

Everyone will suffer in the shadow of batman. Outside of Martian Manhunter, he's probably the only dark primary charater. The batman syndrome is a huge issue that evepeople need to get over.

There are many problems in the cinematic DCU. Marvel established their universe with Hulk, Iron-man, Thor and Cap films.

DC and WB on the other hand have literally made a batman trilogy and a Supes film. The Batman character is at the end of his journey whilst superman's journey is only beginning. In the comics, Bats doesn't create the JL during the end of his career.

The decisions made by WB and DC, both story and timing related have made them rush things without thinking them through and it's resulted in shitty story telling, plot holes and things that just don't make any sense.

Even the colourful flash from the series is being replaced with a darker one. Aquaman is pretty much colorless and it seems like everything is created around Batman as supposed to JL.

All the films feel the same, the characters feel the same and everything feels rushed in Snyder's films.

It's like my friend says, Snyder is a great director of photography but a horrible director. Unfortunately, Hollywood hasn't figured this out yet.

I've just got one question.
If this Batman has no problem killing people, why the hell is the Joker still alive?!?

PAOerfulone said:
I've just got one question.
If this Batman has no problem killing people, why the hell is the Joker still alive?!?

Is he?

"How many good guys are left? How many stayed that way?". The Joker is pretty young and Batman is fairly old. There may be more to it than meets the eye.

There's no doubt that many of the guys Batman fought in BvS are dead! They have to be! Heck, if wager the guy that Superman saved Looks Like from in the beginning of the film is dead, too. There's hundreds of movies where the hero kills a hundred bad guys and then lets the main villain live because " He's not worth it ". 

"But that's not who Batman is", some will say.  I've read Superman, Kick Ass, X-Men, Iron Man, Captain America, Deadpool, etc.  Every film has taken liberties with the characters. Sometimes, you just have to accept that the character on screen is different than the one from the source material.

*edit* movie Batman has been killing people since 1989! He flung a guy down a shaft and killed Joker in Batman, set people on fire, blew a guy up, and blew up the penguin in Batman Returns, killed like 500 League of Shadow guys in Batman Begins, etc--but he did save Ra's Al Ghul from falling off of a cliff.