By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We need to talk about Superman for a second..(Batman vs Superman spoilers)

Since when is it cool to darken the symbol of hope in the DC universe? I mean, I never really cared for Superman, but after the crucifixion of his character at the hand of WB and Snyder, its made me realize just how important it is to have a symbol hope in such a darkened universe that is definitely overly drowned in Batmans brooding shadow.I understand that the good guy for all intents and purproses will always be misunderstood because of the simplicity of their outlook on life but since when did society put so much favor to anti-heroes that the actual hero took the fall? I mean, I grew up with wrestling and the Xmen and I loved the anti-heroes (DX and Stone Cold) too while laughing at the good characters (Bret Hart & Kurt Angle) wherever they were, but when you watch that...what does that say about us on philosophical level?

it was revealed that Snyder cut a scene from Batman vs Superman that was too dark...

Snyder admitted that he killed off Superman so the Justice League could be created and that it wouldnt make sense otherwise. Why? Because hes too powerful? Dude just got nuked by the US, rag dolled by lex luthor and got his ass handed to him by Batman. Who can the worlds most powerful man defend the earth from? Who are they trying to convince? DC has found ways in the past to dumb down Superman to make his characters progression make sense. Sending one of his greatest enemies against him in the first world builder movie was a bit much as well. Those guys need to be saved for the main course.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/zack-snyder-actually-cut-a-scene-from-batman-v-superman-1769852911

"I know. I know the idea that something was cut from Batman v Superman for being “dark” is laughably insane. And while we applaud the instinct that had the scene where Superman ignores innocents crying for help removed from the final cut of the film, we do have to question the mind that filmed it in the first place. Thankfully, Snyder went on to explain why he liked the scene originally:

I kind of like the idea that he’s taught himself not to look because if he looks it’s just neverending, right? You have to know when, as Superman, when to intervene and when not to. Or not when not to, you can’t be everywhere at once, literally you can’t be everywhere at once, so he has to be really selective in a weird way about where he chooses to interfere.

This is one of those things we know instinctively—that Superman can’t be everywhere—and yet maybe don’t need actually spelled out, as watching Superman literally ignore people’s cries for help seems... oh... not particularly heroic. Oh well. We’ll have to see if this “dark side” scene is included in the Blu-Ray."

Around the Network

The Superman in Batman V Superman is still pretty much a rookie. He is still figuring out what his place on earth should be as a super being.

The hope part will come.

To be honest the idea of the Justice League forming because of Superman being killed makes quite a bit of sense logically (as much "logic" as you can have in such a universe).

I think the movie simply had more basic plotting issues than that and I think the characterization of Batman is actually worse than Superman. Superman's still generally a good guy, Batman is basically a psychopath-meets-Punisher full out though.

Hynad said:
The Superman in Batman V Superman is still pretty much a rookie. He is still figuring out what his place on earth should be as a super being.

The hope part will come.

The character of clark kent and superman was never truly humanized after two movies. His relationship with us on a philosophical and characrer building level really comes down to the fact that its his duty to protect humans since he has no other home. The actual superman in the comics can relate to other humans on an emotional and social level even though he has a boyscout attitude. The clark kent in this movie fails to understand why people keep misunderstanding him. Hes everyones I hate to say it...bitch. 

There was one truth about this movie that is inescapable. Its easier to make a relatable story for anti-heroes because they are flawed and are on a moral grey area like most people.

Soundwave said:
To be honest the idea of the Justice League forming because of Superman being killed makes quite a bit of sense logically (as much "logic" as you can have in such a universe).

I think the movie simply had more basic plotting issues than that and I think the characterization of Batman is actually worse than Superman. Superman's still generally a good guy, Batman is basically a psychopath-meets-Punisher full out though.

Superman has been dumbed down for years by DC to spread value across other characters and give him an uphill battle. I guess its easier to convey in comics and cartoons. The only thing that need bring the justice league together is the unveiled threat of Darkseid.  Also yes, I agree..batman (though badass in an arkham city kind of way) is nowhere near as brilliant of a detective as he is in other film renditions.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Hynad said:

The hope part will come.

The character of clark kent and superman was never truly humanized after two movies. His relationship with us on a philosophical and characrer building level really comes down to the fact that its his duty to protect humans since he has no other home. The actual superman in the comics can relate to other humans on an emotional and social level even though he has a boyscout attitude. The clark kent in this movie fails to understand why people keep misunderstanding him. Hes everyones I hate to say it...bitch. 

There was one truth about this movie that is inescapable. Its easier to make a relatable story for anti-heroes because they are flawed and are on a moral grey area like most people.

People misunderstand him because he is "all powerful". They fear what he could do if he so wished. Clark Kent struggles with that because he's doing all he can to help and people are still questioning his intent and motivations.  But the fact remains that he acts unilaterally, as they say in the movie. So it means that people have to trust him to do the right thing, regardless of what the other people in power may think. It's the reason why Superman don't work closely with governments in [most] comics. Because they aren't always working for the greater good, and more often than not only care for their own interest.

Hynad said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

People misunderstand him because he is "all powerful". They fear what he could do if he so wished. Clark Kent struggles with that because he's doing all he can to help, but he does so unilaterally, as they say in the movie. So it means that people have to trust him to do the right thing, regardless of what the other people in power may think. It's the reason why Superman don't work closely with governments in [most] comics. Because they aren't always working for the greater good, and more often than not only care for their own interest.

In Batman vs Superman he was working with the president (the animation based on the comic) and batman was the menace who was fighting for his life despite Superman being reluctant to fight him. Batman doesnt trust him. In fact batman didnt trust any member of the justice league, hence why hes created failsafe plans for them in the past. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Hynad said:

People misunderstand him because he is "all powerful". They fear what he could do if he so wished. Clark Kent struggles with that because he's doing all he can to help, but he does so unilaterally, as they say in the movie. So it means that people have to trust him to do the right thing, regardless of what the other people in power may think. It's the reason why Superman don't work closely with governments in [most] comics. Because they aren't always working for the greater good, and more often than not only care for their own interest.

In Batman vs Superman he was working with the president (the animation based on the comic). Batman doesnt trust him. In fact batman didnt trust any member of the justice league, hence why hes created failsafe plans for them in the past. 

Batman V Superman, animated? You mean the Dark Knight Returns Part 2.

Anyway, that's why I said in [most] comics. And while The Dark Knight Returns is praised by most, I always thought Miller's interpretation of Superman was completely off and disrespectful of the character. And that his take was basically and admission by him that he jerks of to Batman (sorry to put it bluntly like that).

In any case, what happens in Frank Miller's story is irrelevent to what happens in the new movies. Both are their own take.

They didn't give Batman much detecting to do. It was basically Superman is a dick because he destroyed lots of buildings and people died. There wasn't all that much of a mystery to solve. The thing I hated most about Batman's characterisation was that he killed a bunch of people like a rampaging Schwarzenegger.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Hynad said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

In Batman vs Superman he was working with the president (the animation based on the comic). Batman doesnt trust him. In fact batman didnt trust any member of the justice league, hence why hes created failsafe plans for them in the past. 

Batman V Superman, animated? You mean the Dark Knight Returns Part 2.

Anyway, that's why I said [most] comics. And while The Dark Knight Returns is praised by most, I thought Miller's interpretation of Superman was completely off and disrespectful of the character. 

In any case, what happens in Frank Miller's story is irrelevent to what happens in the new movies. Both are their own take.

Snyder shares similar views to Miller. Its not the first time Snyder has made a miller rendition, even if Dark Knight returns isnt cannon this is the DC universe the people will get to know.