By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Its time to lose the gamepad

Is it time for Nintendo to ditch the Gamepad?

Yes 45 13.60%

No 144 43.50%

Last Year was the time 18 5.44%

Launch was the best time 19 5.74%

Its to late now, it wont do any good 86 25.98%

See results 19 5.74%

Total:331
Samus Aran said:

Yet none of them offer the great control scheme that Splatoon does.

Wii U Pro controller doesn't have gyro controls. Neither does the xbox one controller...

None of them do, but they can, possibilities are open at least for PS4 developers. If Splatoon was on that console, it would be the same thing. Although I don't deny the Wii U Gamepad has the advantage of being bigger. 

The point is however, Gamepad support in Splatoon is not necessarily unique, other controllers could do the job as well. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

No

It's too late to drop gamepad support

Teeqoz said:
Samus Aran said:
spemanig said:
mZuzek said:
By now, it'll do more bad than good... especially more so considering Nintendo's 3 major games this year (Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and Star Fox Zero) all make good use of the Gamepad.

From what I've seen and played, only Mario Maker does. Not Splatoon, and definitely not the abomination. 

You haven't played Splatoon.

It makes great use of the gamepad.

You hardly require the gamepad. The map should've been placed on the TV, and the only reason it's on the gamepad is because of a desperate attempt from Nintendo to justify the gamepad. Gyro aiming isn't exactly a must. Besides, unbundling the gamepad doesn't mean to discontinue it. Just sell it as a peripheral. Heck, you could still have an SKU where the gamepad is bundled. 

However.... It's too late. Nintendo should've unbundled it a long time ago.

It´s not a fucking desperate attempt of nothing, it´s a logical and intuitive choice, the gamepad makes Splatoon way more fast and dinamic than already is, they need each other, it would be way less fun and accesible without the gyro controls and  jumping to your friends would require to stop the game, put a list of your teammates in your face, and chose one of them with the stick,  making you lose 15 seconds easily on a game where the matches are 3 minutes long. And the missile would be even worse, stop the game, put a map on your face, and chose with the dpad the exact point you want it to fall, another 15 seconds lost when in the gamepad you just tap and that´s it.

It was time to dump it when the Wii U was in R&D. I can imagine Sony and Microsoft dumped many many crazy new ideas when they were in R&D for their current consoles. Some things stuck (like touchpad on PS4 controller) (Making new kinect and bundling it with every XB1) but I can imagine there were many monstrosities created throughout those years.

Someone in the chain of command really should've gone '...really?' and who knows how things would be different.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
By now, it'll do more bad than good... especially more so considering Nintendo's 3 major games this year (Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and Star Fox Zero) all make good use of the Gamepad.

I don't disagree with the spirit of your point. But I'm not sure about those examples. Mario Maker is probably the only one where it's essential. Splatoon didn't need it at all and I hear that Star Fox has a 1-screen mode too.

Goodnightmoon said:
Teeqoz said:

You hardly require the gamepad. The map should've been placed on the TV, and the only reason it's on the gamepad is because of a desperate attempt from Nintendo to justify the gamepad. Gyro aiming isn't exactly a must. Besides, unbundling the gamepad doesn't mean to discontinue it. Just sell it as a peripheral. Heck, you could still have an SKU where the gamepad is bundled. 

However.... It's too late. Nintendo should've unbundled it a long time ago.

It´s not a fucking desperate attempt of nothing, it´s a logical and intuitive choice, the gamepad makes Splatoon way more fast and dinamic than already is, they need each other, it would be way less fun and accesible without the gyro controls and  jumping to your friends would require to stop the game, put a list of your teammates in your face, and chose one of them with the stick,  making you lose 15 seconds easily on a game where the matches are 3 minutes long. And the missile would be even worse, stop the game, put a map on your face, and chose with the dpad the exact point you want it to fall, another 15 seconds lost when in the gamepad you just tap and that´s it.

I think you misunderstood. Placing the map on the gamepad instead of on the screen was a lame way to "justify" the gamepad. Now you have to look down on the gamepad, which sort of incapacitates you for a second or two every time you want to check the map. Your attention is drawn away from the game, because you have to look all the way down to the pad. That is not logical man, sorry. I'm not sure how often you use the quick jump aside from when you spawn, but I hardly ever meet anyone that uses the quick jump aside from when you spawn, and those few times they use it to super jump in battle, they use it to jump back to spawn, which could be done by a button shortcut. When you respawn, you have a few seconds before you can jump and those seconds could be used to select who to jump too. And not to be rude, but if you use 15 seconds to scroll through a list of three players, you are really, really, seriously slow.

The gyro controls are not necessary at all, and claiming that it's more accessible than dual stick aiming is kinda silly when you have mega franchises like CoD, Halo, GTA, Gears, Uncharted etc. all using dual stick aiming, so pretty much every gamer would be used to dual analog aiming.

Why would you use the D-pad to pinpoint the place where you fire the Inkstrike? Use one analogue stick and give you a half translucent map. It'll take you 5 seconds tops to find where you want it (There killstreaks in CoD where you do this), and sure, that may be 3 seconds more than on the gamepad, but it's not exactly a lot.

Answer honestly, if you had any way to stop Nintendo from making the gamepad a part of the Wii U (and thus allowing them to have a 70+ dollar lower price) , instead of a peripheral, would you have done it? And I don't mean make them ditch the gamepad now, I mean that it would've been a peripheral from the start.

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

(...)

Answer honestly, if you had any way to stop Nintendo from making the gamepad a part of the Wii U (and thus allowing them to have a 70+ dollar lower price) , instead of a peripheral, would you have done it? And I don't mean make them ditch the gamepad now, I mean that it would've been a peripheral from the start.

No, that's not what I would have done.

Not that I asked you :-p but what would you have done?

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

Not that I asked you :-p but what would you have done?

I would have slapped Shigeru Miyamoto with a large trout and then kicked the Gamepad idea into the bucket altogether. Then I would have approached Satoru Iwata and said (while pointing with my finger at Miyamoto): "Don't dare to listen to that man. He has lost his marbles!"

I can approve of that plan.

spemanig said:
mZuzek said:

From what I've seen and played, only Mario Maker does. Not Splatoon, and definitely not the abomination. 

Good thing there is not an abomination on that list then! :D

Fatal Frame V uses the gamepad pretty freaking well though.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]