By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Its time to lose the gamepad

Is it time for Nintendo to ditch the Gamepad?

Yes 45 13.60%

No 144 43.50%

Last Year was the time 18 5.44%

Launch was the best time 19 5.74%

Its to late now, it wont do any good 86 25.98%

See results 19 5.74%

Total:331
AlfredoTurkey said:
eva01beserk said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
eva01beserk said:

Waiting it could be worse. Who knows how manny fans nitnedo has lost, if they can gain a few more fans before the next one hits it would be better. I really think that if the price was good enoughf, a lot of people would try it and see all the great games they have released so far and might consider the NX. But as it is now, who will say the NX is a first day purchase?

Well, it might help a little bit if they took it out, but only for the fact that the system could sell for something like $199.99. But really, the damage is done at this point. It's not like taking it out is going to bring the thing back from death.

Oh and, what about Splatoon? You can't even play the game without the gamepad lol. That would be a problem.

Im not talking about bringing the console back from the dead, just holding off the release of the NX a bit more. If they cut the life of the Wii U so short, a lot of fans wont be happy and might not decide to buy the next console.

Is there not a 2 player dojo mode on splatoon where one palyer uses the pro controller(I dont know about the wii motion plus, I love the thing)? So the gamepad is not so necesary on that game then.

No, the gamepad isn't NEEDED in Splatoon, but Nintendo would really have to work to figure out a way to make it work without it. In the dojo, it's just one on one so you don't use super jumps. In the main game though, you have to use them and I don't know how you'd do it without the gamepad. 

Easy, just have a designated button that opens a big map in wich you can move the cursor and blast of to that destination. With the wii motion pluss it would be easy, just hit the buttton and point and clik to where you want to go.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
honestly this thread is a waste of time. it has been discussed about 10 times already in 10 threads.

that ship has sailed Nintendo waited too long and sales now would be pointless with their next system around the corner. It be a slap in the face to new buyers that a new one is coming.

No, its a slap in the face that a new console is just around the coner after so litle time. The point is to delay the new console a bit more so fans dont feel betrayed.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

99% of my Wii U games doesn't really need the game pad so it can lose it for all I care.

ganoncrotch said:
eva01beserk said:

Isnt the only things available on the screan a map, then when you die you can click a friend and warp to him? something that can be done with a list, since it only happens at reaspan, and a regular minimap on the big screen.

Wait so just to get this right, you don't own the system or haven't even played the games using one of your friends systems? That would be like someone who has never used a PC before looking at one and questioning why it has a keyboard and mouse, I mean so few games use all those buttons, why not just drop the rest and leave WASD or better yet just use a classic controller?

This thread (albeit suggesting to lose the pad not loose it) has been done and done, it would probably be best to leave the critical thinking about a system to those who have at least attempted to play on it to some degree.

Why do people asume I never payed a Wii U? Im a hardcore nintendo fan and had almost all nintendo consoles before it, I just wait untill zelda comes to it to jump in cuz in the past I dint have the resourses to buy day one. and now I just want zelda.

But I have played the Wii U, I live in a house with an owner, the thing is I have not played any games yet that required the gamepad and Im not going to buy a game when soeone else owns the console.

Teeqoz said:
Samus Aran said:
spemanig said:
mZuzek said:
By now, it'll do more bad than good... especially more so considering Nintendo's 3 major games this year (Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and Star Fox Zero) all make good use of the Gamepad.

From what I've seen and played, only Mario Maker does. Not Splatoon, and definitely not the abomination. 

You haven't played Splatoon.

It makes great use of the gamepad.

You hardly require the gamepad. The map should've been placed on the TV, and the only reason it's on the gamepad is because of a desperate attempt from Nintendo to justify the gamepad. Gyro aiming isn't exactly a must. Besides, unbundling the gamepad doesn't mean to discontinue it. Just sell it as a peripheral. Heck, you could still have an SKU where the gamepad is bundled. 

However.... It's too late. Nintendo should've unbundled it a long time ago.

Thank you, How do people not get this.

Around the Network
painmaster212 said:
Nintendo should release a model that doesn't require it and then start selling the Gamepad in stores as an controller in case people wanna use it later on. Doing that they could cut the price down to $200 and give the console a decent sales to go out on before the NX is announced. I never understood why they forced the Gamepad onto people and didn't just let them choose which controller they wanted. ( at least after we all seen the sales weren't all that favorable anyways)

Again, thank you. Someone else gets it.

Samus Aran said:
eva01beserk said:
Samus Aran said:

It uses a combination of gyro controls and analog sticks for perfect shooter controls that are much more fun to play with than your traditional dual analog shooters. You can't do that with just a Wii U Pro controller. You can jump to your friend or a specially placed beacon whenever you want, not just at respawn. You also need the gamepad to use the ink strike special ability. The arcade minigames while you wait in lobbies in between matches are also played on the gamepad screen.

The wii motion plus has all thouse gyro controls and buttons and its still compatible with the wii u. And I got to say, for me shooters where never better than when I played them with the wii motion plus. The rest are just buttons, including the special ability. No need to have a touch screen when there are buttons to spare.

Splatoon makes use of analog stick and gyro controls at the same time to create the best shooter controls on a console. If you haven't played it don't comment on it. Wii Motion Plus would use IR pointer to aim, not gyro controls. A control system like Splatoon is NOT possible with the Wii Motion controller.

This I dont belive. One of my favorite games ever is metroid prime and all 3 where ported easyly to the wii and the IR pointer worked marvelous for all. That feels more like a mouse than just using the gyro scope, cuz its actually pointing and clicking. Wii controller has motion controlers, analog sticks, IR pointers and its shaped perfectly into something used for shooting, pinting, swinging and anithing else, its far supirior for a shooter in everyway than the gamepad.

Miyamotoo said:
eva01beserk said:

This will create another sega situation, where they cut the life of a product to soon and people just lost trust on the company. To avoid this, they should separate the gamepad, that way they can reduce the price. inmagine how well a $200 Wii U with a pro controller would sell like. This will at least buy nintendo another year without releasing the next console and consumers wont loose as much trust.

I dont see how ditching gamepad have anything with this.

If sales of the Wii U where a little better, there would be no need to release the next console so soon. Right now there are ruors that by 2016 the NX will be ready to launch, the wii U sales are so  low that it was required before people forget about nintendo. If the price was lower, it can jump start thouse sales again at least to let the NX drop untill 2017. Not to much but tis at least 5 year life span on the wii u and that would be at least tolerable.

Jumpin said:

It's not possible. That's like saying remove the Wii Remote from the Wii and give it a keyboard instead.

The OS on the console, and nearly every game utilize the gamepad in some capacity, and will not work without it.

Not the same, all wii games used the motion controls and ir pointer in some way, most wames since the begining like wii sports where centered around it, most wii u games do not us the gamepad unless its some kind of minimap or menu, completly usless in some ways.

Thouse games use it in so very minor ways that it could be super easy for nintendo to patch thouse things out.

K98632 said:
Sure, Splatoon and Mario Maker pretty much require the gamepad. But I think people tend to forget a number of other games that require it as well. Just taking a quick look at my shelf games like Game and Wario, The Wonderful 101, Nintendoland, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Wii Party U, they would all be impossible to play without the gamepad. I don't see how cutting off a not insignificant number of your games would cause better WiiU sales.

Even the games where the pad isn't completely integrated into the actual play of the game it would require SO much time and money from both Nintendo and third parties to make patches and updates so that all the other Wii U games would work without the pad, as they all work in even small ways. Getting rid of the gamepad would also require creating a NFC scanner device for Amiibos to hook up to your WiiU.

This sounds like an awful lot of wasted time and money to tick off a bunch of people. No thank you.

Its not cutting off, it just unbunduling the wii U gamepad, or having a separate bundle that sells it without the gamepad. People interested in thoue games later can buy the gamepad separetly.

You also seem to forget at all the games that have nearly zero requirement fr the gamepad. Theres already an NFC scanner that works for 3DS, it can just be used for the Wii U. Thouse patches dont take as long as you think when all it needs its to remve tiny things that dont affect gameplay in anyway.