By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Its time to lose the gamepad

Is it time for Nintendo to ditch the Gamepad?

Yes 45 13.60%

No 144 43.50%

Last Year was the time 18 5.44%

Launch was the best time 19 5.74%

Its to late now, it wont do any good 86 25.98%

See results 19 5.74%

Total:331

I say just ditch it for the NX. The gamepad is a huge drawback for me. Compare it to the DS4 or X1 controller it feels awful. If they do (for whatever reason) feel inclined to add the gamepad to the NX hopefully they redesign it in a way that makes it feel less clunky.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
No offense, OP, but about 500 of these exact type of threads have been made, almost literally since the launch of the damn thing in 2012.

The controller has never been the problem. It was NoA's shitty marketing. That's been discussed ad naseum in countless threads.

At this point, Wii U is what it is. It's not gonna "catch up" to PS4, so there's no point in worrying about it. Enjoy the good games it does get, and move on. If Nintendo wants to spur sales, then they need to drop the damn price THIS holiday season, have some new bundles ready, and advertise the fuck out of the thing.

And even then, it's not ever gonna catch up to PS4. So I say, oh well.

PS4? Lol. At this point catching up to PSVita seems like a pipe dream.

@OP - No. It would be utterly stupid at this point. Just ride it out, don't invest a single dime in it, don't waste any money, make the amount you know you're gonna sell at a profit, release the NX, stop the Wii U production asap and move on. If anything, update the gamepad so it uses more modern and cheaper parts and sell it as an alternative NX controller that allows Wii U BC and off-tv play of NX games. This way if NX becomes a success, they may actually earn something on the GamePad.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

eva01beserk said:
Miyamotoo said:
eva01beserk said:

This will create another sega situation, where they cut the life of a product to soon and people just lost trust on the company. To avoid this, they should separate the gamepad, that way they can reduce the price. inmagine how well a $200 Wii U with a pro controller would sell like. This will at least buy nintendo another year without releasing the next console and consumers wont loose as much trust.

I dont see how ditching gamepad have anything with this.

If sales of the Wii U where a little better, there would be no need to release the next console so soon. Right now there are ruors that by 2016 the NX will be ready to launch, the wii U sales are so  low that it was required before people forget about nintendo. If the price was lower, it can jump start thouse sales again at least to let the NX drop untill 2017. Not to much but tis at least 5 year life span on the wii u and that would be at least tolerable.

No, if Wii U sales are much better (not little) then there would be no need to realase the next console so soon, and ditching gamepad in this point basically wouldn't change anything.

That would done more harm than good. Yes, $200 Wii U would be sell little better, but in this point that basically wouldn't change anything. Do you realise how much Nintendo would need to spend money and resources on branding, marketing and changing all games that require gamepad!? They would loose more money than they would earn with ditching gamepad and Wii U would still be worst selling Nintendo home console.

Nintendo home console usually have life span of 5 years, so one year less dont change anything. Original Xbox also had life spain of 4 years and we all know how Xbox360 was successful.

If trying to sell the Wii U at a cheaper price is what the main goal is.
Then what if Nintendo released an all-digital Wii U? Because, while the GamePad takes up one big chunk of the console's production costs, the disk drive takes up the other huge chunk. 
Now I could go into detail about my opinion about the prospect of an all-digital NX system, but that's an argument for another day.
But if that's what Nintendo is looking towards, maybe they should try an all-digital Wii U just to test the waters. And maybe with all that space available as a result of no disk drive, they can increase storage capacity to around 500 GB. And it would cost somewhere between $199-$249.

Samus Aran said:

You haven't played Splatoon.

It makes great use of the gamepad.

I think it doesn't. Its only cool functionality is the teletransportation, where you can select the place you want to go by clicking a player's icon on the map. This is great, but doesn't "justify" anything. Aside from that, you can rotate the camera with motion controls, something that traditional controllers can do too. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

It also does it a lot better than traditional controls.

Plus, there's also the SplatJump mini game we play as we wait for battles.

Plus the short cuts to different shops in the hub world. Plus the Ink Strike special attack.

Metallox said:
Samus Aran said:

You haven't played Splatoon.

It makes great use of the gamepad.

I think it doesn't. Its only cool functionality is the teletransportation, where you can select the place you want to go by clicking a player's icon on the map. This is great, but doesn't "justify" anything. Aside from that, you can rotate the camera with motion controls, something that traditional controllers can do too. 

Yet none of them offer the great control scheme that Splatoon does.

Wii U Pro controller doesn't have gyro controls. Neither does the xbox one controller...

Welcome to the Nintendo subforum. The GamePad threads are to the right, just throw it in the pile over there.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

eva01beserk said:
Cobretti2 said:
honestly this thread is a waste of time. it has been discussed about 10 times already in 10 threads.

that ship has sailed Nintendo waited too long and sales now would be pointless with their next system around the corner. It be a slap in the face to new buyers that a new one is coming.

No, its a slap in the face that a new console is just around the coner after so litle time. The point is to delay the new console a bit more so fans dont feel betrayed.

It will not ressurect Wii U that is the point. It is way to late. The console is a commercial failure.

I rather they move on then be totally irrelvant. 

Most people swap their mobiles every 6 months. The Wii U had a good run. It had some great games time to move on. I think I already have about 40 games on it. 

You can indeed turn of motion controls for games like Splatoon and Star Fox, but I'd definitely prefer motion controls over just the Pro anytime.. and I'm saying this even though I thought that motion controls would be really bad before I played Splatoon..

Anyways, I don't think it's a good time because there are games that cannot be played without the gamepad

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]