By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Its time to lose the gamepad

Is it time for Nintendo to ditch the Gamepad?

Yes 45 13.60%

No 144 43.50%

Last Year was the time 18 5.44%

Launch was the best time 19 5.74%

Its to late now, it wont do any good 86 25.98%

See results 19 5.74%

Total:331

I'd consider buying one if they ditched the gamepad. It's the main reason, this is the first Nintendo console, that i didn't own.

Around the Network
Sixteenvolt420 said:
I'd consider buying one if they ditched the gamepad. It's the main reason, this is the first Nintendo console, that i didn't own.

Why!?

Did you tryed gamepad?

Like Boberkun said, despite of its size, It comfy, light, expands gaming experience with second screen and motion features, and gives you ability off-tv playing. The only drawback is shorter battery life, but you can buy stronger battery.

So not buying console with very good Nintendo games only because gamepad (that isn't bad in any way) sounds to me like bad reason.

I had to trype this post twice, I hit Esc once.

For the people who think that the concept itself is at fault, consider that:
Nintendo did not...
...get Sega to make a Valkyria Chronicles, or a The House of the Dead for the platform; or a port of Project Mirai (without the chibi).
...get Atlus to put an Etrian Odyssey game on the platform, given the lack of JRPGs; or a new Trauma Team/Center game.
...work with Koei Tecmo to bring a Pokemon Snap title to the platform.
...get Capcom to bring Monster Hunter to the platform, complete with voice chat and an information-dense GamePad screen; or make an enhanced port of Okami HD.
...get Square Enix to make a version of Dragon Quest XI for the platform, with the features of the 3DS version (bar 3D and portability, of course); or enhanced ports for the Theatrythm games.
...get Ubisoft to make a Zombi2U.
...get Artdink to make a full-on no-holds-barred A-Train for the platform.
...get Yoot Saito to make one of his Tower games, or get a version of Seaman on the platform.
...get Intelligent Systems to put Code Name: STEAM on the platform, instead of the 3DS.
...get Camelot to make Mario Golf instead of Mario Tennis. (They already have the engine, for crying out loud)
...make a Pilotwings game, utilizing the GamePad to expand the control scheme above and beyond what is normally possible, allowing for flying commercial aircraft.
...put asymmetric multiplayer support in the Pikmin 3 story, giving different control schemes to the GamePad and other player.
...make a Metroid Prime 4 for the platform.

Yeah, I think that should suffice.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

It's way to late, the time for saving the Wii u has come and gone. Nintendo needs to move on and start again from scratch with a new console.

First, Wii U doesn't have much else to differentiate itself from the other consoles. Ditching the gamepad would make it just another 8th gen console, with the exception that's it's only slightly more powerful than 7th gen consoles but having less games than them. And second, it's too late in two ways. First, it's been on the market for too long, it's just not possible to ditch it anymore. And second, it wouldn't help much anymore. Whatever momentum Wii U could have had is gone. It's not getting it back without something huge happening, and ditching the gamepad wouldn't do that.

Around the Network
padib said:
The gamepad is cool. It just shouldn't have been bundled because it made the console too expensive.

This is it for me.

The gamepad would have worked better IMO as an optional accessory meaning they could get the actual system out to people at a much more mainstream price.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I'm almost sure that a lot of people who bash the gamepad haven't even tried it. I'm not saying it's the best controller ever, but it expands gameplay posibilities (I actually love how well it works in Splatoon) and it's not that heavy. Plus, if you don't like the gamepad, you can buy a Pro Controller which is, maybe, one of the best controllers ever. Seriously, it's comfortable, it has an ideal weight... I love it for more traditional games.

Miyamotoo said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:

Why!?

Did you tryed gamepad?

Like Boberkun said, despite of its size, It comfy, light, expands gaming experience with second screen and motion features, and gives you ability off-tv playing. The only drawback is shorter battery life, but you can buy stronger battery.

So not buying console with very good Nintendo games only because gamepad (that isn't bad in any way) sounds to me like bad reason.

Yeah, i tried it at the display in Wal-Mart. It felt too much like i was playing games on a tablet. If i wanted to play games on a tablet, i'd just buy a tablet. Me not buying it for not liking the game pad, is a good enough decision for myself, and many other people. I don't care about motion features either. I didn't use the Six-Axis on the PS3 controller, outside of Heavenly Sword and Uncharted, because i didn't care for the feature. I bought a Wii and admittedly enjoyed it for the first 2 years, before i sold it. I'm completely over motion gaming, I just wanna chill and enjoy a game, the "normal" way. I'm definitely going to give VR a fair chance though, next year.

Sixteenvolt420 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Why!?

Did you tryed gamepad?

Yeah, i tried it at the display in Wal-Mart. It felt too much like i was playing games on a tablet. If i wanted to play games on a tablet, i'd just buy a tablet. Me not buying it for not liking the game pad, is a good enough decision for myself, and many other people. I don't care about motion features either. I didn't use the Six-Axis on the PS3 controller, outside of Heavenly Sword and Uncharted, because i didn't care for the feature. I bought a Wii and admittedly enjoyed it for the first 2 years, before i sold it. I'm completely over motion gaming, I just wanna chill and enjoy a game, the "normal" way. I'm definitely going to give VR a fair chance though, next year.

Wii U gamepad is basically Wii U Pro Controller with display, in majority of Wii U games you dont need to use motion controls if you dont want.

Miyamotoo said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Why!?

Did you tryed gamepad?

Wii U gamepad is basically Wii U Pro Controller with display, in majority of Wii U games you dont need to use motion controls if you dont want.

That's ok. I'm still just going to wait for the next Nintendo console, at this point.