By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order: 1886... Is its backlash good or bad?

Are the poor reviews for Order: 1886 justified?

Absolutely! Let the game burn to the ground! 53 17.85%

Yes. I don't want develo... 71 23.91%

Meh. I don't really mind either way. 45 15.15%

No. I think it has been reviewed unfairly. 92 30.98%

Not at all! This game is amazing! 36 12.12%

Total:297

5 and under means that the game isn't worth buying, isn't worth playing and you shouldn't waste your time with it. everything above 5 means that the game is worth buying, like 6, which means the game is worth playing but you can expect a lot of negative things like bugs or that the story or gameplay isn't top notch, but you shouldn't be put off by cause you won't regret playing it regardless.  But i think Reviews should have a genre list, that this game is better suited for a certain gamer due for it's certain genre and give it a score according to what it aims for. This game was aimed for a cinematic gamer, therefore they should score it by it's cinematics as a 9, and score it as a 6 for those who don't like cinematics to stand in the way for gameplay. A more advanced review system to really aim for the right gamer, and for the wrong type of gamer. But trust me, everything below 6 is pure BS, they shouldn't be taken seriously, cause they don't take their own score system seriously. 5 and under means the game is unplayable, broken and isn't worth playing. The game is worth playing, the biggest issues is that the price for most gamers isn't justifying for their value of enjoyement

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Around the Network
Sentient_Nebula said:

And that's part of the problem: I'm selfish. Just because I don't like "cinematic" games, (And I'm not alone in the opinion) that doesn't mean there aren't people out there who do enjoy these kinds of games. We have movies, and we have games. Maybe The Order: 1886 is something in between? Is Ready at Dawn trying to bridge a gap between the two?

hit the nail on the fucking head there.   i don't like horror games.    ...but the idea that i would be a reviewer and fault it for being scary is fucking ridiculous.  reviewers and gamers can't seem to move past the selfishness bit.   just becase a game isn't tailored to your specific wants doesn't make it shit.   

..in a world where the walking dead (by telltale) got a lot of GotY nominations it is ridiculous that the order gets a 2/10 faulted specifically for having many of the same basic elements: story focus and QTEs.   maybe if RaD just removed the gunplay entirely to hammer down the point this is a cinematic game they would also have gotten GotY nominations too...

Depends on what kind of backlash. If you're talking about people insulting the fact that it is cinematic (black bars, cutscenes, QTE) or that is a linear TPS with cover mechanics then no that's just dumb because it's a bunch of reviewers who grew up with a certain type of game not wanting to get anything different (there's plenty of traditional games coming The Order won't change that). If you're talking about people who have problems with the story or the shooting mechanics, then sure that's reasonable criticism. I'll wait till I play to agree with them or not but if they don't like it they don't like it. At least they're not insulting it for being a part of a sub-genre they don't like.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Burek said:

See, I'm on the other side. I enjoy cinematic games very much. Sure, I prefer an action game like GTA, Tomb Raider or Resident Evil, but I think there is also a place on the market for Beyond 2 Souls, Heavy Rain and The Order.
Have not started TO yet, but if it isn't good then it deserves bad scores.
I just hope that this doesn't discourage developers from making GOOD cinematic games, though. I'm looking forward to Until Dawn very much, as well.

But does a game like The Order deserve to be in the ranks of Beyond, Heavy Rain, or Telltale games? It doesn't seem so.

Bottomline, maybe they should have focused on gameplay. I think PS4 owners wanted a Gears experience and didn't get it. Sony didn't know how to market this game either. It seemed like they wanted to push it towards shooting fans but gave them a cinematic game.

Driveclub had a similar issue with marketing. People keep telling me is an arcade racer but Sony's marketing could easily confuse people into thinking its more of a sim experience.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

platformmaster918 said:
Depends on what kind of backlash. If you're talking about people insulting the fact that it is cinematic (black bars, cutscenes, QTE) or that is a linear TPS with cover mechanics then no that's just dumb because it's a bunch of reviewers who grew up with a certain type of game not wanting to get anything different (there's plenty of traditional games coming The Order won't change that). If you're talking about people who have problems with the story or the shooting mechanics, then sure that's reasonable criticism. I'll wait till I play to agree with them or not but if they don't like it they don't like it. At least they're not insulting it for being a part of a sub-genre they don't like.

I think you're wrong on this one. You accuse critics of not wanting somthing different, but maybe the developers just didn't failed to execute their vision well.

Try watching the IGN video review. The black bars do appear to get in the way of the cover shooting mechanics. The scenes where you just walk and listen to dialogue can be boring, I know this from Gears. QTEs have been in games for many years now and are rarely done well.

Unfortunately, The Order seems to fail at being an interesting shooter and "interactive drama." But it still might be worth playing, I enjoyed Ryse and that had its own issues. But we can't expect great score for underwhelming experiences.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Yep, I don't want developers to keep heading into slow trainwrecks.

My 8th gen collection

I already said in Vivster's thread: movies from Uwe Boll are created the way Boll envisions them. Still they are bad movies. Reviews should be able to point out that bad games are bad. If they aren't allowed to do this, we need no reviews. Do people exist that love Boll-movies? Sure. But that doesn't justify to give every movie a 10/10 in reviews, and the same is true for games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
I already said in Vivster's thread: movies from Uwe Boll are created the way Boll envisions them. Still they are bad movies. Reviews should be able to point out that bad games are bad. If they aren't allowed to do this, we need no reviews. Do people exist that love Boll-movies? Sure. But that doesn't justify to give every movie a 10/10 in reviews, and the same is true for games.

Exactly. I don't know how anyone can't see this.

Well, depend on personal's opinion, but why black bars in the game just like the Evil Within? We already have widescreen TVs. lol

I'll wait to play it and see if its worth the score or not. From what I've seen, it looks impressive and plays just like many other 3rd person shooters that received very high scores in the past. It just seems to be the rule this gen to put down any ps4 exclusive, like DC, knack and now this one.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...