By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order: 1886... Is its backlash good or bad?

Are the poor reviews for Order: 1886 justified?

Absolutely! Let the game burn to the ground! 53 17.85%

Yes. I don't want develo... 71 23.91%

Meh. I don't really mind either way. 45 15.15%

No. I think it has been reviewed unfairly. 92 30.98%

Not at all! This game is amazing! 36 12.12%

Total:297

These type of games will keep coming. These reviews will simply push RAD and other devs to not take the cinematic approach too far. More TLOU, less 1886.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Maraccuda said:
GTAexpert said:
Maraccuda said:
I can understand that Ready at Dawn tried to make a 'single player, story driven, cinematic game' and can respect that. But it doesnt stop the game from being bad.

In all honesty a ''cinematic driven game'' is an oxymoron. Taking gameplay away makes it less of a game, and im sure gamers want actual games.

Thje game isn't bad though. I own the game and the worst thing about this game is that there aren't enough full-on gameplay segments. The best thing though, by far, is its atmosphere, and it makes a diference. I've played many games with brilliant atmosphere like BioShock, Assassin's Creed II and Forza Horizon 2, but this beats them in atmosphere. The world is well-developed too. The only thing that's really wrong with this game are having too many QTE's, too many cutscenes, less of gameplay and its short length.

I've not finished the game yet, played 2 hours of it and the story is definitely interesting.

Fair enough, definitely would have been much better with more gameplay segments.

But with such a game having a great story and atmosphere I always wonder why not simply make it an actual movie or book instead.

A book can never create the kind of intense atmosphere that is present in The Order: 1886. You have to see it to believe it. Also the acting is so good in this game that a book can never really bring the same kind of feel.

As for movie, yeah this game is definitely very well-suited to become a movie. It could be that Sony has a plan to launch a movie on this as well, but we'll see about that.

Anyways I don't seea problem with it being a game. The execution could have been better, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with these kind of games. On the other hand I can't stand Mario and Zelda games, but I don't say that they shouldn't exist, so I guess it should be left to individual tastes.

It's definitely bad for the game and Sony. I don't think the publicity will help it because it was already pretty hyped.

I don't think many people are attempting this style of game anyway so its good effect on the industry as an example should be limited.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

PwerlvlAmy said:
if the bad press and bad reviews keep developers from doing the ''cinematic experience'' then I will be very pleased

Why? Does it hurt you or the biased reviewers in any way that some people can enjoy a different genre of games? Last gen I was expecting an evolution of the great PSOne and PS2 games, not that FPS crapfest we had at the beginning. If it was for some folks videogaming would be synonymous of virtual shooting. 

Still The Order: 1886 has got polarized reviews. A good number of reviewers liked the game. If it sells 1 million or more as I imagine more will come. Because that would mean there is space for games like this and sales are the only thing that ultimately matter.

vivster said:
It's definitely bad for the game and Sony. I don't think the publicity will help it because it was already pretty hyped.

I don't think many people are attempting this style of game anyway so its good effect on the industry as an example should be limited.

Lol u feel bad why, the game is truely quite awesome and millions will enjoy it.  

And its effect on the inductry, lol wtf are you actually scared of ???  god forbid we have some variety in gaming.  Ohh noes a cinematic heavy game ohh the horror, let all go back to 2d side scrollers.  

Around the Network
Mikmster said:
vivster said:

Lol u feel bad why, the game is truely quite awesome and millions will enjoy it.

And its effect on the inductry, lol wtf are you actually scared of ???  god forbid we have some variety in gaming.  Ohh noes a cinematic heavy game ohh the horror, let all go back to 2d side scrollers.

Maybe you should read before you comment. And even better, not make assumptions.

Or maybe you wanted to respond to someone else? Because I don't see how anything you said corresponds to what I posted.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Yeah the ones giving it less than a 5 i think are being too hard with the game. For a game to have less then a 5 it has to be bad in every possible way.

I like cinematic games just as much as any other type of game. I don't know why reviewers have turned against them. Same with non open world racers. Does every game have to be a jack of all trades sandbox.

Anyway I'll be buying this game to break up the gameplay of Elite Dangerous. Looks like I'm due for another 10 hour trade route grind before I can afford the next ship upgrade. That's apparently a real game, where you can watch Netflix while playing.

Uabit said:
Yeah the ones giving it less than a 5 i think are being too hard with the game. For a game to have less then a 5 it has to be bad in every possible way.

I think its just fanboys stupidity to be brutally honest, they devloped some preconcived notions of what they want the game to be and are no lube ass hurt thats its differant then they wished.

Its actually really really good when you play it.  The qte the cut scenes blend really well into the actual game play, which is really solid tps.  

Ther game is being hammerd for being different then the typical tps.  

I will have to play it first before I can judge it.