By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order: 1886... Is its backlash good or bad?

Are the poor reviews for Order: 1886 justified?

Absolutely! Let the game burn to the ground! 53 17.85%

Yes. I don't want develo... 71 23.91%

Meh. I don't really mind either way. 45 15.15%

No. I think it has been reviewed unfairly. 92 30.98%

Not at all! This game is amazing! 36 12.12%

Total:297
Mr Puggsly said:
platformmaster918 said:
Depends on what kind of backlash. If you're talking about people insulting the fact that it is cinematic (black bars, cutscenes, QTE) or that is a linear TPS with cover mechanics then no that's just dumb because it's a bunch of reviewers who grew up with a certain type of game not wanting to get anything different (there's plenty of traditional games coming The Order won't change that). If you're talking about people who have problems with the story or the shooting mechanics, then sure that's reasonable criticism. I'll wait till I play to agree with them or not but if they don't like it they don't like it. At least they're not insulting it for being a part of a sub-genre they don't like.

I think you're wrong on this one. You accuse critics of not wanting somthing different, but maybe the developers just didn't failed to execute their vision well.

Try watching the IGN video review. The black bars do appear to get in the way of the cover shooting mechanics. The scenes where you just walk and listen to dialogue can be boring, I know this from Gears. QTEs have been in games for many years now and are rarely done well.

Unfortunately, The Order seems to fail at being an interesting shooter and "interactive drama." But it still might be worth playing, I enjoyed Ryse and that had its own issues. But we can't expect great score for underwhelming experiences.

I played for hours this morning and black bars are not noticeable at all.  QTEs aren't great but they aren't a negitve either.  They keep you engaged during the cutscenes.  It's an interesting story though I'm just getting to the interesting part so I'll see how it goes from here.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

The reviews are fair if they wanna something in between than they should price it in between of brand new a blue-ray and 60$ videogame

Mikmster said:
walsufnir said:

Fanboyism was always present but "back in the day" there was no internet. Square announcing FF7 for PSX would've taken down the internet, for sure.

Nowadays people just have the opportunity to dislike stuff and making memes of it but the fanboyism is nothing new. People "hating" games are as ridiculous as the people who blindly follow a brand. This applies to almost everything out there you can buy.

So peopel are just ignorant fanboy fools is what im getting from you, to bad/

I think that some people don't have anything good to say, so they may not say anything at all.  Many of us don't like to waste time on negative issues because those trees bear no fruit.  There is no need to call people ignorant because they have a different opinion about something.  Sorry you didn't like the game.  I haven't played it and I don't think I would have either, due to me preferring less cinematics.

On topic:  When there is certain amount of media coverage on something, once it is introduced to the public, good or bad, that quantity will carry on much longer if that something is good.  If it is bad then it will quietly sink into the shadows regardless of backlash.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

bashing the game before it's playable, before it's development is finished, railroading it before reviewers review it, and because of I, and not so complicated the developers pretty much tell you what they're going for, and you still go down on the game.

metric is more about debate than a tool to use for a games worth or quality.

platformmaster918 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think you're wrong on this one. You accuse critics of not wanting somthing different, but maybe the developers just didn't failed to execute their vision well.

Try watching the IGN video review. The black bars do appear to get in the way of the cover shooting mechanics. The scenes where you just walk and listen to dialogue can be boring, I know this from Gears. QTEs have been in games for many years now and are rarely done well.

Unfortunately, The Order seems to fail at being an interesting shooter and "interactive drama." But it still might be worth playing, I enjoyed Ryse and that had its own issues. But we can't expect great score for underwhelming experiences.

I played for hours this morning and black bars are not noticeable at all.  QTEs aren't great but they aren't a negitve either.  They keep you engaged during the cutscenes.  It's an interesting story though I'm just getting to the interesting part so I'll see how it goes from here.

Well people tell me the bars in The Evil Within were a non issue, but they were to me. If I could disable them I would. I genuinely feel they're there for visual polish on a 1080p TV and nothing more.

Anyhow, I'm sure the game is worth a playthrough. Just like Ryse.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
bashing the game before it's playable, before it's development is finished, railroading it before reviewers review it, and because of I, and not so complicated the developers pretty much tell you what they're going for, and you still go down on the game.

metric is more about debate than a tool to use for a games worth or quality.

Sounds like this guy didn't hear what critics were saying about Wolfenstein: The New Order prior to release.

Destiny seemed like a potential GOTY but reviews didn't reflect that. So what critics feel prior to release doesn't always reflect their feelings after playing the game.

Critics wanted to hate Ryse, but it was surprisingly not terrible. Expectations for The Order started high but dwindled as Sony failed to make the game look interesting.

Anyhow, a 65 is not a terrible score. If had some decent multiplayer that might have boosted it to a 70.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

If I wanted a movie I would pay 6$ for it, not 60

It doesn't matter if it's critically acclaimed or not. They do not determine a game's quality. That's all click bait and console war rhetoric. All that matters is that if it sells well or not and if the people who bought the game enjoyed it.

looking at the OT on gaf it appears most people like it. Just got home with the game, will post impressions in 5 hours ; )

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

i hope its somehow good to be honest, maybe from now on developers wont put QTEs on their games at all, afterall that seems to be one of the negatives about this game, i dont know about the lenght of the game since some people claim to have beated it in 5 hours and others say 10 hours, they must be playing it in different difficulty settings or something like that.