By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGSV: The Phantom Pain on Xbox Systems Doesn't Make Sense

Does it?

No 148 44.58%

Yes 131 39.46%

I'm not sure 29 8.73%

Results 24 7.23%

Total:332

It would really depend on how much it would cost to port to xbone for it's sales versus sony and konami splitting some of the development/promotional costs.

Around the Network

the fanbase on the xbox consoles will grow. but sales on playstation will always be higher.

KyleeStrutt said:
How is more sales a bad thing?

when it's a game like Ground Zeroes and developers think they can get away with that.

On topic: The full game will obviously sell a lot more on ALL systems. Go look at FFXIII. 2m is certainly not nothing.

It would sell even more on the PS Vita.

NobleTeam360 said:
Well I'm sure Konami appreciates the extra 300k sales they got from Xbox platforms. Not like this is the first time MGS has been on Xbox.

And don't forget the additional digital sales. Since it is a small download (1.5 - 4 GB, depending on the version) compared to most other new games with 20 - 50 GB downloads, the digital ratio will probably be higher than usual.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Maybe Ground Zeroes low sales on Xbox One are because Xbox fans are less loyal to Konami than PS fans, and therefore less likely to buy what was basically an overpriced demo? I rented Ground Zeroes on XB1 and I'm glad I rented it, if I had paid $40 for about 6 hours of gameplay I would have had serious buyer's remorse. Also, I think it's worth noting that Konami didn't try to optimize Ground Zeroes for XB1 at all, it was 720p compared to 1080p on PS4, one of only a small few games that have that big of a difference between the two platforms, that probably scared off a good many XB1 owners who would have bought it otherwise.

I get the feeling that Phantom Pain on Xbox One will sell much better than Ground Zeroes did, since it has 100+ hours of content for $60, that's a much better value than Ground Zeroes, plus hopefully they won't be lazy with their optimization this time and will at least aim for 900p on XB1 (numerous SDK's have released since Ground Zeroes, plus the Kinect resources have been freed up since then, so they have no excuses this time). It's basically free sales for Konami, so why wouldn't they release it on Xbox One?

They made it 720p because 900p wasnt standard at the time, ghost was the same story

I think if you extrapolate numbers for the full release, you looking at over 5 million for the PS4 version and over 1.5 million on Xbox Platforms.

Porting to all consoles is most likely not that expensive either, so that 1.5 million sales will most likely have a decent short term profit and also grow the brand on the platform if the game is good.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

LipeJJ said:

Analyzing the performance of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes by platform, we find some very interesting figures. According to VGChartz, the figures (WW) are the following:

PS4: 1.08
PS3: 0.54
XOne: 0.22
360: 0.12

The PS3 version alone outsold the XOne + 360's version combined. That's crazy if you ask me! The numbers are so low on the Xbox consoles that it makes me wonder if it does make sense releasing The Phantom Pain on them. I mean, Konami could get a better profit from partnering with Sony to promote the game, funding part of the development of the game, etc.

What do you think, guys? Would it be better if the game was exclusive to PlayStation systems? Or is it better to keep it multiplat?

Xbox sales might pale in comparison to PlayStation but it's still extra sales. They would want money from Sony if they wanted it to be exclusive, at least the projected amount of money they would make from Xbox sales.

Also putting a game on one platform damages franchises. So the fact they are putting more MGS games on Xbox can only establish the franchise more. We have seen games in the past be exclusive to one platform (eg. Bioshock, Mass Effect) and when the sequels hit other plaforms they sell alot less because it's less established. We will see this when Titanfall 2 hits the PS4. So while if they did take cash to make a game exclusive, it will damage the franchise long term.

If Konami decide to keep releasing MGS games on Xbox, the sales gap will close. Not completely because MGS is a far stronger franchise on the PS but it will close.

Lol, 0,22 on Xbox One, it would have sold better on WiiU.

SWORDF1SH said:

Xbox sales might pale in comparison to PlayStation but it's still extra sales. They would want money from Sony if they wanted it to be exclusive, at least the projected amount of money they would make from Xbox sales.

Also putting a game on one platform damages franchises. So the fact they are putting more MGS games on Xbox can only establish the franchise more. We have seen games in the past be exclusive to one platform (eg. Bioshock, Mass Effect) and when the sequels hit other plaforms they sell alot less because it's less established. We will see this when Titanfall 2 hits the PS4. So while if they did take cash to make a game exclusive, it will damage the franchise long term.

If Konami decide to keep releasing MGS games on Xbox, the sales gap will close. Not completely because MGS is a far stronger franchise on the PS but it will close.

Not always true.

What happened in Japan, made Namco to stick with PlayStation worldwide for Tales of series. Why? It is because that is where their fanbase are.

Look at Tales of Vesperia. According to Famitsu, Tales of Vesperia in Japan caused the Xbox 360 to sell out with 204,305 copies sold. In North America, Tales of Vesperia sold 33,000 copies during the first 4 days of launch.  

Tales of Vesperia for the PlayStation 3 sold 147,000 copies on its opening day in Japan, which is more than double that of the Xbox 360's version, and a total of 140,000 in two weeks. Tales of Vesperia for the PlayStation 3 sold a total of 352,961 copies in by the end of 2009.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5