By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGSV: The Phantom Pain on Xbox Systems Doesn't Make Sense

Does it?

No 148 44.58%

Yes 131 39.46%

I'm not sure 29 8.73%

Results 24 7.23%

Total:332

Its sales on Xbox platforms may be relatively small, but they're likely still generating a significant profit on the ports (assuming they aren't pulling an SE...). The X1 version may also have sold better if it hadn't been seen as 'greatly' inferior to the PS4 version, though that wasn't entirely Konami's fault.

Personally, i think it was a good move. While it being a PS4 exclusive would have provided certain benefits, expanding MGS's fanbase by going multi-platform should provide more long term sales potential. The series can't be expected to sell well on Xbox consoles until it's seen as something people can expect to frequently see when purchasing the system. That can't happen while it's exclusive to one.

Around the Network

It's the same thing with FF and happened with MGS2 and Rising.MS paid for it and that is why it's on the Xbox.That little bit of sales does not make them a profit.Konami actually lost sales because Rising sold so poorly on the 360.If you cannot even sell 1 million across both Xbox platforms than it's a bad decision.Anyone who likes MGS has or will get a PS4 anyway.Why would you even want to play the inferior version on the Xbox?

Zekkyou said:

Its sales on Xbox platforms may be relatively small, but they're likely still generating a significant profit on the ports (assuming they aren't pulling an SE...). The X1 version may also have sold better if it hadn't been seen as 'greatly' inferior to the PS4 version, though that wasn't entirely Konami's fault.

Personally, i think it was a good move. While it being a PS4 exclusive would have provided certain benefits, expanding MGS's fanbase by going multi-platform should provide more long term sales potential. The series can't be expected to sell well on Xbox consoles until it's seen as something people can expect to frequently see when purchasing the system. That can't happen while it's exclusive to one.

I'm pretty sure they shipped way more than what they sold so that is not a profit. 300,000 more is nothing when you can sell millions on another platform.It costs money to develop, make copies and ship a product.Something that people don't seem to understand.They already tried to expand the franchise with MGS 2 on Xbox and it was a colossal failure.THe game will never be big on that platform and the X1 will not be close in units sold with the PS4 this generation.

SkyHold said:
Zekkyou said:

I'm pretty sure they shipped way more than what they sold so that is not a profit. 300,000 more is nothing when you can sell millions on another platform.It costs money to develop, make copies and ship a product.Something that people don't seem to understand.They already tried to expand the franchise with MGS 2 on Xbox and it was a colossal failure.THe game will never be big on that platform and the X1 will not be close in units sold with the PS4 this generation.

Shipping a game = selling it to the retailer.  It's not the publisher's responsibility anymore, they already got their cut of the money.  You seem to be very misinformed/biased.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I think it doesnt make sense to people who want it on Sony only and are anti-xbox, at least that's what I've seen elsewhere. It's usually pro sony people saying ''dont bring it xbox!'' and vice versa when Xbox fans have something they yell ''dont bring it to sony!''

I see it as a good thing, more platforms = more sales and more chance of the title at being successful

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

If it doesn't sell well on a certain platform, then that is money lost from making the game disc and other stuff.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

You are absolutely correct. They should have partneted with Sony for the marketing, lower dev costs, more focused development, etc. Their Xbox bid has not been a success so far.

Well, an explanation might be that they want fans on several consoles experience their games?

LipeJJ said:
KyleeStrutt said:
How is more sales a bad thing?

If the sales are thin, it may be (a bad thing). I mean, if any sales were okay for multiplat games, then every cross gen title should be ported to Wii U.

My point is that these numbers are so thin that the game could benefit more from being exclusive to where it's fanbase is at. Cause the game would be more hyped and would also receive inve$tments from the console maker; Sony.

Im sorry but no, that would literally be SOny throwing money away. First this is METAL GEAR SOLID one of the most popular IPs out there. IT doesnt need any more hype the name alone is hype. AND its already synomous with the PS brand so Sony knows that most of the sales are going to be on their platform anyway especially since they have the most systems sold. Like Final Fantasy 13 Sony could just sit back and let the good times roll in.

Yes it makes a bunch of sense. I keep seeing people say porting costs. These systems are pretty close ot each other so i cant imagine porting between them would be so hard. And Im pretty sure that MS is probably covering the cost to get it on their systems anyway. So whatever they sell on those consoles is extra money. And no I seriously doubt that people would have bought a PS4/3 anyway for Metal Gear, if you're interested in that series then you would have either of those systems by now.