By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why don't the people who buy a PS4/Xbone buy a Wii U instead?

Which console's library is better?

Wii U 331 44.61%

PS4 282 38.01%

Xbone 52 7.01%

Yo Mama 77 10.38%

Total:742

I already had a Wii U. I had to spend my money on something last Christmas.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network
Paatar said:
riderz13371 said:
Because I like Call of Duty, The Witcher, Far Cry, Tomb Raider, etc and I just don't see those types of games on the Wii U.

Very very few Wii U games appeal to me.

And would you still get the PS4 or Xbox One if they were on the Wii U? That is something I would very much like to know. (Since those are multi plat third parties)

If all the third party games released on all the consoles, would you still get PS4 and say its games are better? Because you really can't beat Nintendo consoles when it comes to exclusives.

If they were of the same quality or similar? Sure I would. Third party games with the combination of Nintendo exclusives would be awesome. Of course, I wouldn't purchase every single third party game on a Wii U but if they had cool features/uses of the gamepad thing and they looked/performed the same then I would.

Games like Call of duty and whatnot (Competitive online games) I would purchase on the PS4 because I am used to the dualshock controller.

Goodnightmoon said:
estebxx said:

we all have different tastes in games i for once are not interested in any Nintendo game, the only games i like that are on the Wii U are not made by Nintendo but rather by third or second parties, (Xenoblade, Bayoneta and Wonderful 101).

We have different tastes, and different agendas, the ones you like are specifically the ones that aren´t from Nintendo, what a surprise , honestly saying that you want W101 over Zelda U or Splatoon, sounds more like Nintendo hate to me.

So its Nintendo hate because he PREFERS wonderful 101 over Zelda and Splatoon? Look if you want to debate over the games thats fine but saying stuff like that kills your credibility.

Mod edit: quote trees shortened.

--Veknoid_Outcast

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

UltimateUnknown said:

Today I present a very fundamental question to my fellow charterz.

Why is it that people are buying the PS4 (18.5 mil) and Xbone (10 mil) in droves while the Wii U is left behind in the dust (8.81 mil) despite being out in the market for twice the amount of time? If you ask the Nintendo fans around here (and even many critics), they will tell you that the Wii U has some of the highest rated games amongst all consoles. So what gives?

Do these people not know about the Mario's latest expedition in 3D world, or even his 2D adventures? Do they not want to partake in the festivities of kicking the s**t out of your opponent in the next installment of Smash? Don't they want to experience the 8th variant of Nintendo's premier Kart racing? What's stopping them from trying out the niche outings such as Boyanetta 2 and Wonderful 101? They even have the tried and tested Zelda franchise to look forward to in 2015, with a little bit of Kirby thrown in the mix for good measures. And who doesn't love the look of Splatoon?

Yet why do people insist on buying the PS4/Xbone and not the Wii U? What is going on here? What kind Nintendo do to bring these people over from the other camps?

It's pretty simple. Wii-U doesn't have enough adult/mature games and it also doesn't have any AAA online FPS like Titanfall, COD, Halo and Battlefield. Xbox and PS4 gamers want those types of games and the Wii-U just doesn't have enough of them.

UltimateUnknown said:

Today I present a very fundamental question to my fellow charterz.

Why is it that people are buying the PS4 (18.5 mil) and Xbone (10 mil) in droves while the Wii U is left behind in the dust (8.81 mil) despite being out in the market for twice the amount of time? If you ask the Nintendo fans around here (and even many critics), they will tell you that the Wii U has some of the highest rated games amongst all consoles. So what gives?

Do these people not know about the Mario's latest expedition in 3D world, or even his 2D adventures? Do they not want to partake in the festivities of kicking the s**t out of your opponent in the next installment of Smash? Don't they want to experience the 8th variant of Nintendo's premier Kart racing? What's stopping them from trying out the niche outings such as Boyanetta 2 and Wonderful 101? They even have the tried and tested Zelda franchise to look forward to in 2015, with a little bit of Kirby thrown in the mix for good measures. And who doesn't love the look of Splatoon?

Yet why do people insist on buying the PS4/Xbone and not the Wii U? What is going on here? What kind Nintendo do to bring these people over from the other camps?

Well, I have both, but the reason I think people are not buying Wii U is because it doesn't have the 3rd party games that are big in the market.

1 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare PS4 2014 Shooter Activision 2.04 2.30 0.10 1.36 5.80
2 FIFA 15 PS4 2014 Sports Electronic Arts 0.53 3.29 0.03 1.80 5.65
3 Grand Theft Auto V PS4 2014 Action Take-Two Interactive 1.74 2.25 0.11 1.31 5.41
4 Destiny PS4 2014 Action Activision 1.95 1.53 0.13 0.94 4.55
5 Watch Dogs PS4 2014 Action Ubisoft 1.21 1.48 0.10 0.87 3.66
6 Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 2013 Shooter Activision 1.49 1.17 0.04 0.26 2.97
7 Assassin's Creed: Unity PS4 2014 Action Ubisoft 0.71 1.35 0.06 0.77 2.89
8 The Last of Us PS4 2014 Adventure Sony Computer Entertainment 1.12 1.02 0.06 0.61 2.80
9 FIFA Soccer 14 PS4 2013 Sports Electronic Arts 0.54 1.76 0.10 0.29 2.69
10 Far Cry 4 PS4 2014 Shooter Ubisoft 0.62 1.28 0.00 0.73 2.63
11 Battlefield 4 PS4 2013 Shooter Electronic Arts 1.10 1.08 0.12 0.22 2.52
12 inFAMOUS: Second Son PS4 2014 Action Sony Computer Entertainment 0.96 0.71 0.06 0.44 2.17
13 Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4 2013 Action Sony Computer Entertainment 0.80 1.08 0.07 0.21 2.16
14 Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag PS4 2013 Action Ubisoft 0.90 1.00 0.05 0.20 2.15
15 Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor PS4 2014 Action Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment 0.67 0.81 0.01 0.47 1.97

12 out of top 15 selling games on PS4 are 3rd party titles that are not on Wii U, or in WD case was badly delayed.  The rest are rounded by PS4 exclusives.

Nintendo doesn't have the biggest games people play now, so it's the equivalent of a gaming dinosaur.  Nintendo is like many big companies that were once the best in the world at what they did, but were passed by others for failing to adapt.

There's a story from Google, where they have this dinosaur skeleton on their campus.  I think it's an Allosaurus, an animal that was once at the top of it's food chain.  It's to serve as a reminder that no matter if you are on top of the world you can always become a dinosaur, like the SGI company that used to live on that campus before.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
estebxx said:

we all have different tastes in games i for once are not interested in any Nintendo game, the only games i like that are on the Wii U are not made by Nintendo but rather by third or second parties, (Xenoblade, Bayoneta and Wonderful 101).

We have different tastes, and different agendas, the ones you like are specifically the ones that aren´t from Nintendo, what a surprise , honestly saying that you want W101 over Zelda U or Splatoon, sounds more like Nintendo hate to me.

WHAT? are you for real? so i CANT have tastes of my own? LOL go on dude youre bias is so big and hard its blinding you! i cant belive you think i hate Nintendo because im not interested in its games...

you must be really young or naive to adopt such an attitude just becuse i dont like Nintendo games...

and yes im a hater... despite the fact that i have NEVER downplayed the Wii U or any nintendo console or nintendo games...

Mod edit: quote trees shortened.

--Veknoid_Outcast

Because I am not a huge fan of neither Mario or Zelda or metroid or kirby or star fox, etc. Basically, the Nintendo line up is far less appealing than that of the Sony's, for me. I grew out of Nintendo world and gravitated towards Sony's great mix of quality adult/mature content (InFamous, Uncharted/Last of Us, Heavy Rain) and gameplay focused games (LBP3, Rachet and Clank)

Plus, the Wii U lacks all of my favorite Third party titles (Dragon Age, Fallout, Mass Effect, Far Cry,  Resident Evil, Devil May Cry [reboot], etc) The Wii U by itself is not a compelling purchase. As a secondary console, maybe one day.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

tak13 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
It's quite obvious

The Wii U gets like 10 retail games a year...

Not only that but the main genre Nintendo has going for it is platformers. In a day & age where people want shooters & open world, they don't cut it

Prove it...

New Super Mario Bros U - 4.6m
Super Mario 3D World - 2.9m
New Super Luigi U (Standalone physical version) - 2.01m
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - 0.96m
Yoshi's Whooly World - 2015
Mario Maker - 2015
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - 2015

Care to list a genre of Nintendo made games on WiiU selling more?? =P

I've said it before: It's a simple matter of mindshare.

Nintendo has great games but only a relatively small marketing budget. Only those who seek out review scores and are constantly active on gaming websites will likely seek out a Wii U for its quality games.

Now before people question the 'relatively small marketing budget', I am talking about a marketing budget relative to the other players. Take the Playstation or Xbox marketing budget and then add Activision's, EA's, Ubisoft's, Square Enix's, Take Two's, Warner Bros's. Nintendo gets almost no mindshare after these companies have bombarded semi-core gamers with their advertising.

Then of course there's the 'baby factor'. From the ages of around 13-18 I wouldn't have touched a game that looked like Wind Waker or 3D World, and forget about those woolly Yoshi and Kirby games. I wanted as much blood and guts as possible back in those days. Until I 'matured' lol.

I'm thinking about starting a thread about the mindshare thing just to see what other people think because it seems so obvious to me, but of course I could be wrong.

Pokoko said:
Paatar said:

I swear half the time it isn't preference. Most of the time, people who haven't bought a Nintendo console in a while, haven't played Mario and don't really remember how fun it is. (Same with other games like Pikmin and Mario Kart) THey feel it isn't "mainstream" and "cool" to own a Wii U even though it has the best library of games right now. I mean, if Smash, Bayonetta 1 and 2, Hyrule Warriors, ZombiU and if future releases like Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda U, Splatoon and Star Fox U don't want people to want the Wii U, what will? (I know those WILL be system sellers)

My point is, even if all those games they love were on the Wii U, they still would not get it. So I wouldn't consider it preference because half the time they just haven't owned Nintendo in a long time and don't think it is "cool". (Whereas yes, sometimes it is preference)

That's just a meaningless and contrived rationalization.  Sure, some kids are going to ask for a new console based on the "cool" factor but the reason they think it's cool is because it has games that more people want to play, which means they want to play those games, too.  

The Wii U simply won't have many of the games that people really want to play and everyone knows it.  It's really as simple as that.

As far as Nintendo games being more fun, that's completely subjective.  Personally, my first two consoles were from Nintendo and I never liked Mario games in the slightest.  I owned three but did not complete a single one.  I did not care about the characters, did not care about the setting, did not care about the story, did not care about jumping over more stuff.  I'd get bored, drift away, and never go back.  It's kind of funny, looking back, that I'd rather beat Punch Out for the 500th time than restart a Mario game.  I don't give a rodent's fuzzy hindquarters what a game is rated; if it's not a game that I enjoy, I'm not going to play it.

Which is really the main problem with Nintendo consoles.  If you don't like Mario games, of if you're lukewarm about them, then they have very little appeal.  They're built on Mario and Mario-like games, with very little other materials in the foundation.  I mean, I don't like Uncharted but so what?  It's just one title and type of game among many that will appear on the PS4.  I don't like CoD or Madden, either, but so what?  There will be hundreds of other games to choose from.

That's the real difference.

It isn't subjective it's a common assumption!You're  a sony fan right?Look what the president of your favorite company says!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a539712/super-mario-3d-world-is-really-good-says-sony-executive.html#~p121BrnJ8ruD1t(He owns two wii u) http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/07/sonys_shuhei_yoshida_says_nintendo_provides_balance_in_an_industry_obsessed_with_military_shooters

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/12/19/sony-president-shuhei-yoshida-drops-more-love-for-the-wii-u/

P.s you don't like mario,okay!But there are better ways to express it!Don't you think...?