By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Up 6 December 2014

DerNebel said:
Ninsect said:
tbone51 said:

It does make it funny. 

Not really. Nintendo did not recently release a new console. PS4 will start raking in the money when production costs go down.

Just wanna chip in there, don't know if it has already been explained in the thread but whatever: Nintendo did not make more money than Sonys game division, the people that arrived at that conclusion compared the operating profit of Sonys game division to Nintendos net income since Sony doesn't provide the specific net income of single divisions.

So if you actually want to compare the 2 you'll have to use operating income in which case Sony wins by a landslide, you can do that or say that we can't say for sure who made more money with gaming.

Are you just talking about last quarter? Do you think Sony gaming division will profit more than Nintendo's this quarter? (im just asking, dont take it as an atk)

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
DerNebel said:
Ninsect said:

Not really. Nintendo did not recently release a new console. PS4 will start raking in the money when production costs go down.

Just wanna chip in there, don't know if it has already been explained in the thread but whatever: Nintendo did not make more money than Sonys game division, the people that arrived at that conclusion compared the operating profit of Sonys game division to Nintendos net income since Sony doesn't provide the specific net income of single divisions.

So if you actually want to compare the 2 you'll have to use operating income in which case Sony wins by a landslide, you can do that or say that we can't say for sure who made more money with gaming.

Are you just talking about last quarter? Do you think Sony gaming division will profit more than Nintendo's this quarter? (im just asking, dont take it as an atk)

I'm talking about the last quarter. This quarter I'm not sure, but I guess Nintendo should have a higher operating income, Amiibos seem to be a success and I imagine they are selling those at a decent profit, also Smash+Pokemon.

tbone51 said:
DerNebel said:
Ninsect said:
tbone51 said:

It does make it funny. 

well amiibo smash and pokemon should make it close

I think we can all agree microsoft is losing money on every xbox one sold right now :P

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

PS3 software is beasting. It has closed the gap with 360 SW about 23 million this year, and it'll probably reduce it by another ~5million before the year is over. It's closed the gap with Wii software as much as 58 (!) million this year, and will possibly pass Wii SW sales this year.

man-bear-pig said:
DonFerrari said:
man-bear-pig said:

Thanks! Okay so the Xbone outsold the PS4 by 80k in the US this week..if it maintains this then it'll close the gap by a further 400k in December. Looks like the Xbone could overtake the PS4 in Q2 next year..maybe even Q1 (providing that the price stays at $350)

Are we talking globally only or WW?

Huh? I mean in the US. Gap is currently 700k (if my memory serves) and after December it could be down to 300k

We are in a WW thread so I was a little in doubt if were talking NPD only... so globally it is.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Dallinor said:.

Incidentally, I believe you were once described as a 'fair weather' poster in sales threads. Which is, and has been for some time, rather amusing :P

Lmao

xenogears1234 said:
SJReiter said:

Well, since we now have all the November numbers, I decided to make this chart. I'm pretty sure VGC doesn't have a chart that displays sales numbers like this, so I just decided to quickly make one. I don't know how other people feel about it, but I like viewing the numbers this way. 

Great work i definitly like the way you layed this chart out :)

Thanks! I just feel like viewing the sales in this format is helpful. 

OfficerRaichu15 said:

well amiibo smash and pokemon should make it close

I think we can all agree microsoft is losing money on every xbox one sold right now :P

Hmmmm,396$ dollars is the manufacturing cost of the kinectless xbone!1.2m xb1(for November in the USA)by 47$(loss per console)=56.400.000$ loss,in November,in the USA!

niallyb said:
To Icstats , profit = net income , not operating income . So actually nintendo is currently profitable- though only just.

The gaming business in that report is effectively breaking even (Small loss actually). They got their profit because of a favorable exchange rate environment. Both sony and nintendo are very sensitive to the usd/jpy rate.

Right, operating income is profit from business operations.  i.e. profit from the game business.  No operating income = no profit from the game business.

That's what I'm looking at to see if they are able to sustain profit.  Net income includes other things like one time adjustments and short term capital gains, which may or may not repeat.  Likely, they will show additional net income in this quarter because of the Yen falling about 10% further, but again this is a one time book adjustment and it could easily go the other way.

My 8th gen collection

Nice week, HW WW and in USA obviously down , but SW up WW and both SW and HW up in Europe and Japan. And this week didn't even include the 8th of December, that in many EU countries is the highlight of Xmas markets.
bad situations of current gen platforms remain the same, 3DS is too low for a portable market leader, Wii U sells meh and PSV still is a small niche.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!