By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Up 6 December 2014

Aerys said:
man-bear-pig said:
Is December NPD 4 or 5 weeks?

5 since the 4 last days of december are mixed with the first 3 days of January

Thanks! Okay so the Xbone outsold the PS4 by 80k in the US this week..if it maintains this then it'll close the gap by a further 400k in December. Looks like the Xbone could overtake the PS4 in Q2 next year..maybe even Q1 (providing that the price stays at $350)

Around the Network
Ninsect said:
tbone51 said:

It does make it funny. 

Not really. Nintendo did not recently release a new console. PS4 will start raking in the money when production costs go down.

Just wanna chip in there, don't know if it has already been explained in the thread but whatever: Nintendo did not make more money than Sonys game division, the people that arrived at that conclusion compared the operating profit of Sonys game division to Nintendos net income since Sony doesn't provide the specific net income of single divisions.

So if you actually want to compare the 2 you'll have to use operating income in which case Sony wins by a landslide, you can do that or say that we can't say for sure who made more money with gaming.

man-bear-pig said:
Aerys said:
man-bear-pig said:

Thanks! Okay so the Xbone outsold the PS4 by 80k in the US this week..if it maintains this then it'll close the gap by a further 400k in December. Looks like the Xbone could overtake the PS4 in Q2 next year..maybe even Q1 (providing that the price stays at $350)

Are we talking globally only or WW?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
man-bear-pig said:
Aerys said:
man-bear-pig said:

Huh? I mean in the US. Gap is currently 700k (if my memory serves) and after December it could be down to 300k

man-bear-pig said:
DonFerrari said:
man-bear-pig said:
Aerys said:
man-bear-pig said:

Huh? I mean in the US. Gap is currently 700k (if my memory serves) and after December it could be down to 300k

With the recent PS4 deals, i think that's very unlikely.

Also, PS4 will likely sell much more from january to june so the gap will grow again, since PS4 has a good number of big exclusives like The Order, Bloodborne, Ratchet and any japanese centric game being better system seller for PS consoles in the Us, while on the other side, X1 has no system seller until summer maybe, except the deal on Evolve.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Nate4Drake said:
CGI-Quality said:

So much like the PlayStation 2, it's ridiculous! And this is without its meaningful software! 2015 and 16 are going to be enormous for Sony!

Yep.   I can't imagine what kind of numbers PS4 will pull out when a price cut will occur or the Slim Model will be released, probably at $249/$269(Sept 2016) and all the system sellers will be available.  It's gonna be insane.

If the PS3 is anything to go by, a Slim PS4 model (with a price reduction) in Europe may be the most massive sales at any one period, for any console to date (outside of Black friday), at that point. 

Yeah it's incredible the numbers Sony are getting there. Not only hardware- 9 out of the top 10 software is on Sony platforms.

Incidentally, I believe you were once described as a 'fair weather' poster in sales threads. Which is, and has been for some time, rather amusing :P

zorg1000 said:
DélioPT said:
Japan is where Wii U is falling. And by a lot!
According to Famitsu, last year it did 74K and this year it did 25K or more.

The great holiday title was bought on the handheld. :(

Wii U is doing better in Europe and in the US, but it's not enough to cover Japan's low numbers as it hasn't grown substantially despite MK8, Smash and a better library than last year.

U got ur weeks mixed up a bit, last year it did 48k in the same week, the following week is 74k

You are right, i forgot the numbers are from the week before this one.
Still, we already know what will happen next week. Almost a 40K difference in numbers between this year and last year.

Bad Wii U numbers, and good X1 and PS4 numbers. Nothing surprising this week.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

niallyb said:
To Icstats , profit = net income , not operating income . So actually nintendo is currently profitable- though only just.

The gaming business in that report is effectively breaking even (Small loss actually). They got their profit because of a favorable exchange rate environment. Both sony and nintendo are very sensitive to the usd/jpy rate.

. Also nintendo won't be reporting earnings for q3 fy 2015 until jan 28 . Q3 fy 2015 isn't over for them until the end of the year. Their financial year starts April 1 .

Sonys last statement reported massive losses . Even for gaming. Though at the start of a console cycle this seems fairly typical

No. They had a massive loss due to a downwrite in goodwill of their mobile division. If that writedown hadn't occured, then the mobile division would've broken even or lost/earned a tiny bit of money. Besides mobile (which I have explained was a one time thing only) the only division that lost money was movies, and it was a rather insignificant loss. Sony's gaming division was profitable.

Ninsect said:
ICStats said:

You're correct. Nintendo managed to make a small profit for one quarter and Nintendo fans are already using that to win arguments lol. Let's see how this year ends

Nintendo fans? Yeah because not all sides do this SMH