By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 were released at Bad times

You can't find a Sunset bundle anywhere and these Downloads are not included in the sales are they? So sales could be a lot higher.

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Sunset came out at a bad time but not Forza. I actually blame MS for not trying harder with Sunset. It needed much more promotion.

yup I feel this way too plus I wonder why they didn't release a demo for SO?   Game is also around 24gigs in size so could also have been digitally downloaded by many too.  

Dont people realize that for the couple of million new X1 owners that open gifts on December 25th that SO and FH2 will still be available for purchase?

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Those Forza's had ridiculous amounts of bundles. As you say F4 bundles around 2M because that game sold over 4M. That's hugesly reliable on bundles. And I'm not ignoring the numbers are good but the graph is one of decline. Not helped by the severe milking. Forza 6? Big deal. In the last 2 years Forza fans will have played Forza 5 and Horizon. That game won't do big numbers without bundles. It gets hype on the internet because it's exclusive. 

Similar to sunset overdrive? Infamous and ratchet and clank are very similar games. (the ps3 infamous' btw.) Big numbers for that genre. Insomniacs dwindling fan base is mainly on PS so that straight away helps it. I've gotten a lot of their games since PS1's Spyro trilogy and I'd have skipped overdrive. They made F.U.S.E I think and I skipped that too. SO is a good game critically but it just seems like something you'll play for a week then move on. And judging by the deflation of hype for it, that appears to have happened. 

I think you're missing the point. You're too focused on bundling and ignore the series does well outside of the bundling. Two million sales is still good, that's enough to keep most IPs going. Also, a new Forza every few years stimulates sales and revenue more than keeping the old game on the market for $20.

People think GT7 is coming in 2015 or 2016. So maybe that series seems to be getting more frequent releases as well.

Sunset Overdrive is not really like Infamous or Ratchet & Clank. There isn't anything I can really point at on Playstation consoles that resembles Sunset Overdrive.

You're convenietly missing the point yourself that Forza 5 won't sell anywhere near 2M unbundles copies and Horizon even less. Pass glories are great and all but they don't represent the reality. 

More frequent? Wouldn't be anything like Forza's annual milking considering 2 GT's came out for the PS3 and 2 or 3 max will likely come out for the PS4. Hardly frequent over the lifetime of a console now is it.  But you could argue it might become more frequent if they actually make a 3rd one this generation. The series is a bit like GTA in it's release schedual. 

You haven't played the games that resemble it then. A lot of the gameplay they use is just cop-y and paste from another insomniac game called Ratchet and it's quite similar to the PS3 infamous' with the way you move around the map. But yes shockingly it is very like ratcht and clank. I wonder why that is....

Over time I think Forza 5 will do 2 million unbundled. The series has shown decent legs even for predecessors. Its at 1.6 million now with some bundling and we don't know the digital sales.

I never said Forza Horizon 2 will do two million. My guess was 1.5 million life time for X1, maybe 500-600K for the 360. Unless they spend a fortune making those games I assume they're profitable.

The personality and gameplay of SO differs greatly from the games you mentioend. Those are aspects that can affect a games popularity. Hence, the style of SO is niche kinda like Jet Set Radio.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Fusioncode said:

That doesn't make any sense. GT5 released in 2010 and has managed 10m sales. GT6 came out in 2013 and is already close to 3m, will hit 4m lifetime. You're telling me that in 3 years that the entire franchise has collapsed to such a degree? No, no, not even you believe that. GT6 had the worst possible release date. The game was completely overshadowed by the PS4 and was unable to build up a market presence. That shouldn't be the case for the next mainline entry on PS4. I guarantee GT7 will be a 7m+ seller at the very least. 

No, GT6 saw a massive decline because lack of interest. While CoD:Ghosts did fantastic on PS3 even though there was a PS4 version.

But like I said before, other racing IPs also saw a decline. PS4 isn't to blame, people just might be losing interest in racing games.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Demesne said:
Sharpryno said:
Demesne said:
Way wrong time for Sunset, should have been a anything but near now release, also its not that good and is a very niche title. Forza is just exhausted, to much forza in to little time in between. Its been milked hard.

Why you say something like this?  Forza Horizon 2 is the second game in the franchise, it just has the Forza name attached. It is a great game. 

Becasue its true, Its brand saturation.   Great means what exactly.  

FH2 had the second highest selling FW of any Forza or Forza Horizon game.  What is saturated about it?  By your logic everyone hates Pokemon and CoD...

Mr Puggsly said:
Fusioncode said:

That doesn't make any sense. GT5 released in 2010 and has managed 10m sales. GT6 came out in 2013 and is already close to 3m, will hit 4m lifetime. You're telling me that in 3 years that the entire franchise has collapsed to such a degree? No, no, not even you believe that. GT6 had the worst possible release date. The game was completely overshadowed by the PS4 and was unable to build up a market presence. That shouldn't be the case for the next mainline entry on PS4. I guarantee GT7 will be a 7m+ seller at the very least. 

No, GT6 saw a massive decline because lack of interest. While CoD:Ghosts did fantastic on PS3 even though there was a PS4 version.

But like I said before, other racing IPs also saw a decline. PS4 isn't to blame, people just might be losing interest in racing games.

Nope. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:

Fusion this guy is making no sense. He said earlier that Sony have made no good games for PSV, PS3 and PS4. That they must have spread themselves too thin. Yet he prob thinks X1's dubbed down clone of LBP is a great game. The rose tinted classes are strong on this one LOL. 

Mr Puggsly said:

Over time I think Forza 5 will do 2 million unbundled. The series has shown decent legs even for predecessors. Its at 1.6 million now with some bundling and we don't know the digital sales.

I never said Forza Horizon 2 will do two million. My guess was 1.5 million life time for X1, maybe 500-600K for the 360. Unless they spend a fortune making those games I assume they're profitable.

The personality and gameplay of SO differs greatly from the games you mentioend. Those are aspects that can affect a games popularity. Hence, the style of SO is niche kinda like Jet Set Radio.

Forza 5 has already been bundled heavily not a little as you put it. Take off the rose tinted glasses. FH2 is out and is taking it's legs from under it. Not that i had good legs anyway. Forza 6 will kill off both the Forza's and it will be the 3rd Forza in 2 years of X1. Talk about milking. As kong as it continues it will keep having very average sales. But for a racer they're not bad. Considering the steep decline in the genre. 

The basic gameplay is very similar to Ratchet especially and a lot of things similar to infamous too. Obviously the personality is going to be very different or else they'd be calling it Ratchet Overdrive. You find it hard accepting facts and saying ratchet and sunset are similar should be the first one on your "must accept" list. Ratchet is a better game than sunset though. That's prob the biggest diff between them :) 

Intrinsic said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Sunset definitely released at the right time. It got some good bundling and certainly didn't do badly. A solid base to build on.

Halo MCC had to release then to get Xbox One sales up for the holidays, oh... and it isn't a bug ridden mess. The only problem is the servers handling all the people trying to play it at once. Unless Microsoft invested more in that then it probably would have been an issue whenever it released.

There is always an "only" problem. that doesn't make it right. Especially after the issues DC had one would think MS would have learned from that. Lets not forget that Xbox is supposed to have the online service to beat and the whole azure servers stuff was the cornerstone of all their XB1 marketing.

Anyways I think he's right. SO should have released in the first quater of 2015. I think new IPs should always aim for release windows that aren't stacked. Frza and Halo released at the right time, they are already popular and established franchises.

Look at reasons why Project Cars has been moved in March . They admited the market is too crowded for new IP at this time of the year. fighting agains COD, Halo, Smash.

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Forza 5 has already been bundled heavily not a little as you put it. Take off the rose tinted glasses. FH2 is out and is taking it's legs from under it. Not that i had good legs anyway. Forza 6 will kill off both the Forza's and it will be the 3rd Forza in 2 years of X1. Talk about milking. As kong as it continues it will keep having very average sales. But for a racer they're not bad. Considering the steep decline in the genre. 

The basic gameplay is very similar to Ratchet especially and a lot of things similar to infamous too. Obviously the personality is going to be very different or else they'd be calling it Ratchet Overdrive. You find it hard accepting facts and saying ratchet and sunset are similar should be the first one on your "must accept" list. Ratchet is a better game than sunset though. That's prob the biggest diff between them :) 

Hey, lets just wait and see how Forza sells. If I'm wrong, I'll get over it. So chill out. Forza does better than average.

You agreed the personality of SO is very different, so there you go. If it was a more serious game like Infamous it could have potentially performed better. Hence, the style of SO is more niche which is why many games like don't exist.

Recently Completed