By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 were released at Bad times

MikeRox said:
Ka-pi96 said:
MikeRox said:

I thought that the MCC online issues were pretty much the same as DriveClubs? It all worked hunky dory on the dev units, but when they pressed the retail copies to go on retail machines, issues which didn't occur at all with the dev units suddenly sprung up and it was too late to do anything about it pre release? If it was simply a server issue, that would have been fixed in the first week without the need for big patches.

I got the game a couple days early and it worked fine up when there were very few people playing, so up until the actual release.

The volume of users caused it, however I'm sure 343 themselves said that it wasn't as simple as just adding more server capacity due to it being an issue with the code running on retail units.

Yep very similar issues. DC was working fine too for reviewers, then at release the bottlenecks in the server code broke the online functionality. I wonder what is different from last gen? Maybe global matchmaking and leaderboards are posing a problem, yet didn't we have that last gen already? I could race against anyone in the world in GT5, surely GT5 must have had more concurrent users at peak hours with over 10M copies sold and free online.
Maybe DC and MCC are simply trying to track too many stats overwhelming the server database.

Around the Network

Sunset Overdrive 2? WHEN AM I?!?!?!

fory77 said:

TiagoCosta said:
fory77 said:

Oh, well thanks for telling me. Could you fill me in on what happened these last 3 years?

fory77 said:
TiagoCosta said:
fory77 said:

Oh, well thanks for telling me. Could you fill me in on what happened these last 3 years?

I just woke up myself from a long slumber. 

Around the Network

SO2? I can borrow that time machine?

I only started seeing SO ads in the last two weeks. Poorly advertised game, no question about that. Saw zero ads for Forza Horizon 2, but this is to be expected its just a racing game. 2 games in less than a year. Idiotic. Forza 5 does not deserve to exist.

SO still has a chance at reaching 1m, but at the expense of most sales coming from the bargain bucket. FH2 will hit 1m, possibly 1.5.

So was Watch Dogs U...

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Those Forza's had ridiculous amounts of bundles. As you say F4 bundles around 2M because that game sold over 4M. That's hugesly reliable on bundles. And I'm not ignoring the numbers are good but the graph is one of decline. Not helped by the severe milking. Forza 6? Big deal. In the last 2 years Forza fans will have played Forza 5 and Horizon. That game won't do big numbers without bundles. It gets hype on the internet because it's exclusive. 

Similar to sunset overdrive? Infamous and ratchet and clank are very similar games. (the ps3 infamous' btw.) Big numbers for that genre. Insomniacs dwindling fan base is mainly on PS so that straight away helps it. I've gotten a lot of their games since PS1's Spyro trilogy and I'd have skipped overdrive. They made F.U.S.E I think and I skipped that too. SO is a good game critically but it just seems like something you'll play for a week then move on. And judging by the deflation of hype for it, that appears to have happened. 

I think you're missing the point. You're too focused on bundling and ignore the series does well outside of the bundling. Two million sales is still good, that's enough to keep most IPs going. Also, a new Forza every few years stimulates sales and revenue more than keeping the old game on the market for $20.

People think GT7 is coming in 2015 or 2016. So maybe that series seems to be getting more frequent releases as well.

Sunset Overdrive is not really like Infamous or Ratchet & Clank. There isn't anything I can really point at on Playstation consoles that resembles Sunset Overdrive.

You're convenietly missing the point yourself that Forza 5 won't sell anywhere near 2M unbundles copies and Horizon even less. Pass glories are great and all but they don't represent the reality. 

More frequent? Wouldn't be anything like Forza's annual milking considering 2 GT's came out for the PS3 and 2 or 3 max will likely come out for the PS4. Hardly frequent over the lifetime of a console now is it.  But you could argue it might become more frequent if they actually make a 3rd one this generation. The series is a bit like GTA in it's release schedual. 

You haven't played the games that resemble it then. A lot of the gameplay they use is just cop-y and paste from another insomniac game called Ratchet and it's quite similar to the PS3 infamous' with the way you move around the map. But yes shockingly it is very like ratcht and clank. I wonder why that is....

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:
They were just 2 terrible games.

I kid I kid :P

Forza horizon is a spin off of a genre that is seriously declining. The main Forza's don't sell shit loads and get bundled heavily. Horizon 2 sales to be expect and that's with a very highly rated game.

I think Sony fucked MS up with their early announcement of the PS4. If they had of known they could of had the MCC as a release title and then should of then had Halo 5 this Xmas. Sunset overdrive would have been better held back till next march. Xbox would have been riding the crest of a wave early next year if they had all that in place. But then again sales would have been higher so the price would prob be higher now and that would kind of cancel eachother out. Anyway that's my 2 cents on how their releases should have went.

Racing games in general have declined in sales.

GT6 saw a MASSIVE decline. Some blame it on PS4 but a decline that big has more to do with lack of interest in GT6. Need for Speed is far from its peak. Codemasters racers have been flopping.

With that said, Forza sales have remained decent. Forza 5 will achieve 2 million. Forza Horizon 2 on X1 is probably good for 1.5 million. Also, that series recycles a lot of content so that keeps development costs down. Cars and tracks from those games will be in Forza 6.

Sunset Overdrive might have performed better with a different release window. But I still think that game is a little too niche for big sales. We don't see many (any?) games like that doing big numbers.

That doesn't make any sense. GT5 released in 2010 and has managed 10m sales. GT6 came out in 2013 and is already close to 3m, will hit 4m lifetime. You're telling me that in 3 years that the entire franchise has collapsed to such a degree? No, no, not even you believe that. GT6 had the worst possible release date. The game was completely overshadowed by the PS4 and was unable to build up a market presence. That shouldn't be the case for the next mainline entry on PS4. I guarantee GT7 will be a 7m+ seller at the very least. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!