By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 were released at Bad times

They were just 2 terrible games.

I kid I kid :P

Forza horizon is a spin off of a genre that is seriously declining. The main Forza's don't sell shit loads and get bundled heavily. Horizon 2 sales to be expect and that's with a very highly rated game.

I think Sony fucked MS up with their early announcement of the PS4. If they had of known they could of had the MCC as a release title and then should of then had Halo 5 this Xmas. Sunset overdrive would have been better held back till next march. Xbox would have been riding the crest of a wave early next year if they had all that in place. But then again sales would have been higher so the price would prob be higher now and that would kind of cancel eachother out. Anyway that's my 2 cents on how their releases should have went.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Sunset Overdrive did pretty bad considering all the factors.

Forza Horizon 2 did ok since it outsold Driveclub and the racing genre is in the decline atm.

Halo MCC did good, and will continue to do good with the install base of the XB1 increasing.

It did? Can't find any evidence of that.

DC and DH2 released before the onslaught of games, still not at the best time. SO and even worse LBP3 got stuck right in the middle of the big hitters. At least they both have bundles to get some copies out there.

JayWood2010 said:
Both are very likely to sell 1-2m lifetime. Im not sure why its expected they sell 1-2m at release

Sunset Overdrive selling 1-2 million lifetime?? It would be lucky to get close to 1 million let alone 2. It has all but disappeared off the charts and has sold around the 400,000 mark with  heavy advertising. I certainly don't see its sales more than doubling more than a month over its release. The hype has died down and the big 3rd party games(GTA, Farcry, COD, AC etc) have taken all the attention. Sales have basically died in the ass.

It is a shame because thegame certainly looks different and interesting and is a new IP that doesn't try and copy other games(to a large extent anyway). It isn't a serious shooter set in a sci-fi world where you play a marine like a million other games. I would have liked to see it more successful but I think gamers were turned off by the cartoon/non-serious look and vibe of the game. When I ask X1 owners if they will buy it that is what most of them tell me..

FH2 has over 760,000 people on the leaderboards. Its undertracked on VGC.

Sunset Overdrive 2

Lol wut

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Farsala said:

Forza Horizon 2 did ok since it outsold Driveclub and the racing genre is in the decline atm.

Halo MCC did good, and will continue to do good with the install base of the XB1 increasing.

DC and DH2 released before the onslaught of games, still not at the best time. SO and even worse LBP3 got stuck right in the middle of the big hitters. At least they both have bundles to get some copies out there.

There are tidbits of evidence.

Vgchartz says Forza Horizon 2 is .73m. and Driveclub at .67m. However in the NPD thread Driveclub was found to be 150k overtracked.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6871859

That makes first month Forza Horizon 2 with a few days at 120k, and Driveclub with whole month at 50k. With the only evidence we have then Forza Horizon 2 outsold Driveclub.

Farsala said:
SvennoJ said:
Farsala said:

There are tidbits of evidence.

Vgchartz says Forza Horizon 2 is .73m. and Driveclub at .67m. However in the NPD thread Driveclub was found to be 150k overtracked.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6871859

That makes first month Forza Horizon 2 with a few days at 120k, and Driveclub with whole month at 50k. With the only evidence we have then Forza Horizon 2 outsold Driveclub.

That's not really evidence. Europe has the bulk of the sales, and the digital version was a lot cheaper, especially in Europe. If it only sold 50K the servers would have been fine... The only evidence I see is that DC is nr 1 in the psn charts.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/11/07/october-2014-playstation-store-sales-chart-europe-feature-driveclub-1-ps4/

Very rough estimate could be by trophy rarity and the leaderboards, I found someone who recently reached lvl 50 at position 5081, trophy for level 50 is at 0.8%, makes it over 630k total entries. I guess the .67m is not far off. Btw FH2 is at 0.49m according to Vgchartz, I guess you added the 360 version?

I thought Sunset was released at the right time. MS used it to build momentum for this month and it worked.

Angelus said:
True. The timing on Sunset Overdrive 2 was so bad I didn't even notice it came out at all

I didn't even notice it existed... WHY DOES NO ONE TELL ME THESE THINGS!?!?!?

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Wait, Sunset Overdrive 2??????