By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 were released at Bad times

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Should have saved Forza till Q1 2015 imo

I agree. SO should of been released early October while FH2 could of helped MS and their exclusive drought in the first half of 2015. 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Farsala said:
SvennoJ said:
Farsala said:
Sunset Overdrive did pretty bad considering all the factors.

Forza Horizon 2 did ok since it outsold Driveclub and the racing genre is in the decline atm.

Halo MCC did good, and will continue to do good with the install base of the XB1 increasing.

It did? Can't find any evidence of that.

DC and DH2 released before the onslaught of games, still not at the best time. SO and even worse LBP3 got stuck right in the middle of the big hitters. At least they both have bundles to get some copies out there.

There are tidbits of evidence.

Vgchartz says Forza Horizon 2 is .73m. and Driveclub at .67m. However in the NPD thread Driveclub was found to be 150k overtracked.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6871859

That makes first month Forza Horizon 2 with a few days at 120k, and Driveclub with whole month at 50k. With the only evidence we have then Forza Horizon 2 outsold Driveclub.

That's not really evidence. Europe has the bulk of the sales, and the digital version was a lot cheaper, especially in Europe. If it only sold 50K the servers would have been fine... The only evidence I see is that DC is nr 1 in the psn charts.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/11/07/october-2014-playstation-store-sales-chart-europe-feature-driveclub-1-ps4/

Very rough estimate could be by trophy rarity and the leaderboards, I found someone who recently reached lvl 50 at position 5081, trophy for level 50 is at 0.8%, makes it over 630k total entries. I guess the .67m is not far off. Btw FH2 is at 0.49m according to Vgchartz, I guess you added the 360 version?

NPD is evidence. You have no evidence for Europe sales. There will rarely be any evidence for digital sales. It did only sell 50k in US, via NPD. That means it is 150k overtracked, putting it near the X1 version alone.

Leaderboards put FH2 at 760k so with that number it outsold your 630k number. But I do not like using Leaderboards.

Way wrong time for Sunset, should have been a anything but near now release, also its not that good and is a very niche title. Forza is just exhausted, to much forza in to little time in between. Its been milked hard.

Yes MCCs online is a joke, but H2 alone is as good as anything release recently. HMCC all 4 titles is the best single player gaming for 60$ to be had on any console right now bar none. MS typical save it for holidays greed mentality really screwed a pair of games that deserved better.

Demesne said:
Way wrong time for Sunset, should have been a anything but near now release, also its not that good and is a very niche title. Forza is just exhausted, to much forza in to little time in between. Its been milked hard.

Why you say something like this?  Forza Horizon 2 is the second game in the franchise, it just has the Forza name attached. It is a great game. 

Sharpryno said:
Demesne said:

Why you say something like this?  Forza Horizon 2 is the second game in the franchise, it just has the Forza name attached. It is a great game. 

Becasue its true, Its brand saturation.   Great means what exactly.  

Around the Network
Farsala said:

NPD is evidence. You have no evidence for Europe sales. There will rarely be any evidence for digital sales. It did only sell 50k in US, via NPD. That means it is 150k overtracked, putting it near the X1 version alone.

Leaderboards put FH2 at 760k so with that number it outsold your 630k number. But I do not like using Leaderboards.

I wouldn't call that cryptic neogaf post evidence either. But you're right, leaderboards can't be trusted. It does make 50K seem pretty unlikely.
Maybe Evolution studios and Playground games will make an announcement some day. Sony and MS know as well ofcourse, dunno why they won't simply release actual sales numbers instead of a top 10.

Damn.. Sunset Overdrive 2 came out and I didn't even notice! Shame on me!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Kerotan said:
They were just 2 terrible games.

I kid I kid :P

Forza horizon is a spin off of a genre that is seriously declining. The main Forza's don't sell shit loads and get bundled heavily. Horizon 2 sales to be expect and that's with a very highly rated game.

I think Sony fucked MS up with their early announcement of the PS4. If they had of known they could of had the MCC as a release title and then should of then had Halo 5 this Xmas. Sunset overdrive would have been better held back till next march. Xbox would have been riding the crest of a wave early next year if they had all that in place. But then again sales would have been higher so the price would prob be higher now and that would kind of cancel eachother out. Anyway that's my 2 cents on how their releases should have went.

Racing games in general have declined in sales.

GT6 saw a MASSIVE decline. Some blame it on PS4 but a decline that big has more to do with lack of interest in GT6. Need for Speed is far from its peak. Codemasters racers have been flopping.

With that said, Forza sales have remained decent. Forza 5 will achieve 2 million. Forza Horizon 2 on X1 is probably good for 1.5 million. Also, that series recycles a lot of content so that keeps development costs down. Cars and tracks from those games will be in Forza 6.

Sunset Overdrive might have performed better with a different release window. But I still think that game is a little too niche for big sales. We don't see many (any?) games like that doing big numbers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:
They were just 2 terrible games.

I kid I kid :P

Forza horizon is a spin off of a genre that is seriously declining. The main Forza's don't sell shit loads and get bundled heavily. Horizon 2 sales to be expect and that's with a very highly rated game.

I think Sony fucked MS up with their early announcement of the PS4. If they had of known they could of had the MCC as a release title and then should of then had Halo 5 this Xmas. Sunset overdrive would have been better held back till next march. Xbox would have been riding the crest of a wave early next year if they had all that in place. But then again sales would have been higher so the price would prob be higher now and that would kind of cancel eachother out. Anyway that's my 2 cents on how their releases should have went.

Racing games in general have declined in sales.

GT6 saw a MASSIVE decline. Some blame it on PS4 but a decline that big has more to do with lack of interest in GT6. Need for Speed is far from its peak. Codemasters racers have been flopping.

With that said, Forza sales have remained decent. Forza 5 will achieve 2 million. Forza Horizon 2 on X1 is probably good for 1.5 million. Also, that series recycles a lot of content so that keeps development costs down. Cars and tracks from those games will be in Forza 6.

Sunset Overdrive might have performed better with a different release window. But I still think that game is a little too niche for big sales. We don't see many (any?) games like that doing big numbers.

Yes they have declined in general and I said that in my previous post. 

GT6 saw a massive decline but will still sell aout 4M total. Considering when and how it released that's not bad. GT7 on the PS4 will sell at least double that but GT is an  anomoly in a declining genre. 

Forza sales are not bad but they don't set the world a light.  big portion of them are bundled (nothing wrong with that) and Forza 6 won't have huge sales just like it's predecessor. The series is too milked to have big sales per game. 

Nah you don't see to many games like that doing big numbers except for a few on SOny and Nintendo platforms. Prob just sold to the wrong target audience. But with Nintendo's poor sales they prob wouldn't have done much better. 

Well I think both released at good times, only the userbase for both games are too low right now.